Old February 2nd 08, 02:55 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to Cut Kindling?

I've just bought a rather nice 2kg hand axe which is very efficient for
cutting small logs for kindling. But it is very sharp and I would like to
keep all my fingers. Anybody recommend a way of holding the log steady
whilst I take a swing at it with the axe?

Davy

Old February 2nd 08, 03:24 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Davy wrote:
I've just bought a rather nice 2kg hand axe which is very efficient
for cutting small logs for kindling. But it is very sharp and I
would like to keep all my fingers. Anybody recommend a way of
holding the log steady whilst I take a swing at it with the axe?

Davy

Seriously - if you can't do such a simple job, give it to someone who knows
what to do! That may save other body parts from injury as well as your
fingers.

Old February 2nd 08, 03:34 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
OG OG is offline

"Davy" wrote in message
om...
I've just bought a rather nice 2kg hand axe which is very efficient for
cutting small logs for kindling. But it is very sharp and I would like to
keep all my fingers. Anybody recommend a way of holding the log steady
whilst I take a swing at it with the axe?

Davy

Usual thing is to hold the axe against the log and bring them both down on
the block with 'moderate' force so the axe goes in a fraction and sticks to
the log. Then bring them both down with enough force to do the job.

Old February 2nd 08, 04:30 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Davy wrote:
I've just bought a rather nice 2kg hand axe which is very efficient for
cutting small logs for kindling. But it is very sharp and I would like to
keep all my fingers. Anybody recommend a way of holding the log steady
whilst I take a swing at it with the axe?

With a piece of kindling. You just have to cut the first piece carefully...
Old February 2nd 08, 04:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Guy Dawson wrote:
Davy wrote:
I've just bought a rather nice 2kg hand axe which is very efficient
for cutting small logs for kindling. But it is very sharp and I
would like to keep all my fingers. Anybody recommend a way of
holding the log steady whilst I take a swing at it with the axe?

With a piece of kindling. You just have to cut the first piece
carefully...

What he said. Hold it with another bit of wood. It's what I do now I'm bored
of skimming the ends off fingers...

Old February 2nd 08, 06:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

"Guy Dawson" wrote in message
Davy wrote:
I've just bought a rather nice 2kg hand axe which is very efficient for
cutting small logs for kindling. But it is very sharp and I would like

keep all my fingers. Anybody recommend a way of holding the log steady
whilst I take a swing at it with the axe?

With a piece of kindling. You just have to cut the first piece

carefully...

thanks guys, your suggestion does have the advantage that if I accidentally
hit the piece of kindling that I am using to steady the log then no harm is
done to the axe. Not true of my first attempt when I used bbq tongs!
I have just had a log burning stove installed so I'm suddenly needing to
learn new skills - including how to use a 6lb log-splitting maul. That is
some animal!

BRG's post does leaves a nasty taste in the mouth though. But I suppose
that if you ask questions on a newsgroup then you've got to expect
occasional replies/trolls like that.

thanks to everyone

Davy

Old February 2nd 08, 07:40 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On Feb 2, 6:53 pm, "Davy" wrote:

BRG's post does leaves a nasty taste in the mouth though. But I suppose
that if you ask questions on a newsgroup then you've got to expect
occasional replies/trolls like that.

He was right.

Old February 2nd 08, 07:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Davy
writes

"Guy Dawson" wrote in message
Davy wrote:
[...]

Sorry, but I completely agree with him

I can't believe anyone can be so clueless

--
geoff
Old February 2nd 08, 07:52 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Davy
writes
I've just bought a rather nice 2kg hand axe which is very efficient for
cutting small logs for kindling. But it is very sharp and I would like to
keep all my fingers. Anybody recommend a way of holding the log steady
whilst I take a swing at it with the axe?

For ****ing ****s sake

are you really so clueless ?

get a man in

--
geoff
Old February 2nd 08, 08:41 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Davy
writes

"Guy Dawson" wrote in message
Davy wrote:
[...]

shrug

It obviously makes some people feel better to make smart arse, or just
plain rude comments, rather than anything helpful, or just keeping their
mouth shut.

Forget them and move on, most people most of the time here are helpful.

--
Chris French