Posted to uk.d-i-y
Martin Bonner Martin Bonner is offline

Default How to Cut Kindling?

On Feb 3, 5:43 pm, "BRG" wrote:

But lets face the true facts here - if the OP is intelligent (sigh, more
comments I suppose) then it really wouldn't take long to work out how to
safely cut *KINDLING* from a log around a foot long with a sharp hatchet
(you don't need a two handed felling axe for this) - it's all down to Mr
Common Sense really!

No, I don't think it is. It's pretty much all down to experience. My
son (now at University) cuts kindling by balancing the target between
two pieces of wood, and hitting the side with the axe - yes, I've
tried to teach him to do it properly, but he just won't hold a piece
of wood anywhere near where he is aiming the axe.

To the OP. Start out by practising with short pieces of thick wood
that have been sawn square - that way they will stand up on their
own. When you have got more comfortable that you know where the blade
will end up, you can hold the piece in one hand, and cut with the
other. It isn't as dangerous as it seems - you "know" where your
fingers are (even with your eyes shut), and you quite soon learn where
the axe head is going (because your hand is on the shaft)