Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Wire spoke wheel size, plus....

Hey guys,

I may have mentioned before that I want to put wire spoke wheels on a
1/24 scale plastic model of a Morgan 3-Wheeler. The roll of wire
supplied in the kit is .0105" (which is in the 29 to 30 wire gage
range), quite soft, and is "probably" aluminum. It's kinda greasy and
is non-ferrous. It's also a real bitch to try to get the wrapping
kinks out and make it straight.

The instructions show that an 18" long cut length of this wire will
be "passed" from a point on one "side" to a point diametrically
opposite the start point (about .710"), passing alongside the hub (so
it's not actually "straight" from one side to the other), then make 90
degree turn, set over about 1/8" and another 90 degree bend to send it
back past the "other side" of the hub and to the start side again (one
"wrap" will therefore provide 4 spokes from hub to rim) and then
continue on until all 18 spokes are in place which will do the whole
"face" with one wire, then flip the assembly over and repeat on the
other side of the wheel.

This requires a very slight bend each time the wire passes the hub,
and two 90 degree bends to complete one pass and move over to the next
spoke, with a very sparing glue application. So, the softness is a
good idea for the bending, but hard to keep pulled "straight", and
even the slightest touch of the mounted wire causes it to bend and
look like **** and impossible to fix !!

Anyway, I thought maybe straight pins as used by tailors and
seamstresses might work, nice and stiff, cut to length from hub to rim
and applied individually, but they are .025" thick, which would work
out to be almost a 1/2" thick on the original wheels. So, I'm looking
first for the actual known diameter of the spokes of the prototype
wire wheels just in case that would be OK, but secondly for something
"stiff" and bright like a straight-pin, but closer to 10 or 12 thou
thick. Antibody got any ideas or suggestions???

Thanks.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

XXXXXXX XXXXXXXX
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson Inscribed thus:

Anyway, I thought maybe straight pins as used by tailors and
seamstresses might work, nice and stiff, cut to length from hub to rim
and applied individually, but they are .025" thick, which would work
out to be almost a 1/2" thick on the original wheels. So, I'm looking
first for the actual known diameter of the spokes

Its many years since I had a Morgan ! From memory the spokes were a tad
over 3/16" and were chromed. You mentioned 18 spokes, I seem to recall
there were 24.

of the prototype
wire wheels just in case that would be OK, but secondly for something
"stiff" and bright like a straight-pin, but closer to 10 or 12 thou
thick. Antibody got any ideas or suggestions???m,

Thanks.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

HTH

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
[...]

Tinned copper or brass wire might work for you. The copper is an
electrical item, the brass is for making jewelry. If you stretch it
until you feel it give slightly it will straighten perfectly and
harden.

A street-artist jeweler in Heidelberg showed me how to make these from
plated wire with just my fingers:
http://image2.fmgstatic.com/grafx/9a7s_finished.jpg

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 22:31:40 +0000, Baron
wrote:

Brian Lawson Inscribed thus:

Anyway, I thought maybe straight pins as used by tailors and
seamstresses might work, nice and stiff, cut to length from hub to rim
and applied individually, but they are .025" thick, which would work
out to be almost a 1/2" thick on the original wheels. So, I'm looking
first for the actual known diameter of the spokes

Its many years since I had a Morgan ! From memory the spokes were a tad
over 3/16" and were chromed. You mentioned 18 spokes, I seem to recall
there were 24.

of the prototype
wire wheels just in case that would be OK, but secondly for something
"stiff" and bright like a straight-pin, but closer to 10 or 12 thou
thick. Antibody got any ideas or suggestions???m,

Thanks.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.

Brian, I don't have any info for you, but your thread reminds me of
the car I cut my wrenchin' teeth on, Dad's old Austin Healy 100-4. I
tuned his spoked wheels as my first automotive task, then helped him
tune the engine up (mostly watching) for the next weekend's autocross
or gymkhana. Fond old memories. I think I was 7.

--
Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are
based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Hey Baron,

Certainly it does help !

This is a Wills "FINECAST" kit, made in England, and they have
provided "notches" for 18 spokes per side, so a total of 36 per
wheel, which seems reasonable for a wheel this size, but I wouldn't
know the proper count. It is a model of a 1934 Morgan, and it's not
mine. The owner appears to have made an attempt that looks not to
have gone very well, but he didn't mention that to me. I kinda
figured that the prototype spokes would be somewhere in the 3/16 to
1/4 range, so thanks for a confirmation.

Take care, and thanks again.

Brian Lawson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey Jim,

OK..thanks....I'll give it a try !!

Brian Lawson.

ps...what is the wire size for the coils you did?

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 19:04:40 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Jim Wilkins" wrote:...
A street-artist jeweler in Heidelberg showed me how to make
[wire spirals] from plated wire with just my fingers.
jsw

You expect me to remember that much detail from 1972?
It might have been around 20 or 22 gauge, but of course in Germany it
was metric.
I had more fun forming sheet silver and brass into decorated spheres
in the well-supplied Army crafts shop.
http://www.nancylthamilton.com/tools...working-tools/

Once I got wheels though I spent every spare hour exploring the
country.
jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I just checked with my neighbour and his Morgan model has 40 spokes per
wheel. It's a model of a 1929 Grand Prix Morgan he used to own for many
years though and he said by 1934 they had introduced interchangeable
wheels so maybe different.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Brian,

Brian Lawson Inscribed thus:

Hey Baron,

Certainly it does help !

This is a Wills "FINECAST" kit, made in England, and they have
provided "notches" for 18 spokes per side, so a total of 36 per
wheel, which seems reasonable for a wheel this size, but I wouldn't
know the proper count. It is a model of a 1934 Morgan, and it's not
mine. The owner appears to have made an attempt that looks not to
have gone very well, but he didn't mention that to me. I kinda
figured that the prototype spokes would be somewhere in the 3/16 to
1/4 range, so thanks for a confirmation.

Take care, and thanks again.

Brian Lawson

Your comment make me wonder if there were variations in wheels, sizes
and spoke numbers, across the various models. Some were built for hill
climb events and I'm sure would be different.

--
Best Regards:
Baron.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 22:07:02 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 20 Nov 2012 22:31:40 +0000, Baron
wrote:

BIG SNIP

Brian, I don't have any info for you, but your thread reminds me of
the car I cut my wrenchin' teeth on, Dad's old Austin Healy 100-4. I
tuned his spoked wheels as my first automotive task, then helped him
tune the engine up (mostly watching) for the next weekend's autocross
or gymkhana. Fond old memories. I think I was 7.

Hey Larry,

Very good memories to have !! At 7 for me in 1947, it was soldiers
and "the enemy". Lots of fun then. I didn't get into working on cars
until the early '50's.

Brian.
XXXXXXXX

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hey David,

OK...thanks. the "best" photo I have looks like it has 40 spokes too.
I've ordered some 10 thou straight pins to try out, and they should be
here some time next week. I'll lay it out to 40 with them and see how
it looks, but I think putting 40 in this small wheel will make it look
"solid".

Take care.

Brian.
XXXXXXXXX

Brian.
ed, 21 Nov 2012 14:52:42 +0000, David Billington

wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 21/11/2012 5:06 AM, Brian Lawson wrote:
[...]

Perhaps look at stainless fishing trace wire (not the multi-strand stuff).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 11/21/2012 5:26 PM, Spuckle wrote:
[...]

my morgan doesn't have wire wheels, but from my recollection of the ones
that did, the actual spoke diameter was about 1/4 inch, maybe 3/16.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 09:26:14 +0800, Spuckle wrote:

On 21/11/2012 5:06 AM, Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey guys,

BBIIIGGGG SNIP

Perhaps look at stainless fishing trace wire (not the multi-strand stuff).

Hey Spuckle,

OK...thanks for the suggestion.

Brian
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 11:07:19 -0500, Brian Lawson
wrote:

On Thu, 22 Nov 2012 09:26:14 +0800, Spuckle wrote:

On 21/11/2012 5:06 AM, Brian Lawson wrote:
Hey guys,

BBIIIGGGG SNIP

Perhaps look at stainless fishing trace wire (not the multi-strand stuff).

Hey Spuckle,

OK...thanks for the suggestion.

Brian

IIRC insect mounting pins were quite thin some 60 years ago. I just
checked the soft iron wire from the price tags on turkeys, but it's
just under 18 thou., real easy to pull straight though.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Holidays, Season's Greetings, Joyeux Noel

All the Best, and a Happy New Year.

Brian Lawson,
With a White Christmas !!! in
Bothwell, Ontario
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:

All the Best, and a Happy New Year.

Brian Lawson,
With a White Christmas !!! in
Bothwell, Ontario

I'll see your 'Merry Christmas' and raise you a 'Blessed Christmas'.
:-)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 16:14:52 -0500, Brian Lawson
wrote:

All the Best, and a Happy New Year.

Mega-Dittoes, Brian and All!

Brian Lawson,
With a White Christmas !!! in
Bothwell, Ontario

I stood in the snow in Merlin, OR this morning, installing a new
mailbox post for a client who recently moved down here from Alaska.
You guys can _have_ that white stuff.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 24 Dec 2012 17:27:42 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Brian Lawson wrote:

All the Best, and a Happy New Year.

Brian Lawson,
With a White Christmas !!! in
Bothwell, Ontario

I'll see your 'Merry Christmas' and raise you a 'Blessed Christmas'.
:-)

Probably should be "Happy Birthday".
To the Christians, anyway.
:-)
--
Cheers,
John B.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

All the Best, and a Happy New Year.

Mega-Dittoes, Brian and All!

Brian Lawson,
With a White Christmas !!! in
Bothwell, Ontario

I stood in the snow in Merlin, OR this morning, installing a new
mailbox post for a client who recently moved down here from Alaska.
You guys can _have_ that white stuff.

White stuff? Oh..you mean that stuff way up on the mountain tops way
up high?

Shrug..I never get to that elevation

Gunner, who mowed the lawn today.

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

All the Best, and a Happy New Year.

Mega-Dittoes, Brian and All!

Brian Lawson,
With a White Christmas !!! in
Bothwell, Ontario

I stood in the snow in Merlin, OR this morning, installing a new
mailbox post for a client who recently moved down here from Alaska.
You guys can _have_ that white stuff.

White stuff? Oh..you mean that stuff way up on the mountain tops way
up high?

Shrug..I never get to that elevation

Gunner, who mowed the lawn today.

It's hit the mid 20s (F) in Central Florida the last few nights.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

All the Best, and a Happy New Year.

Mega-Dittoes, Brian and All!

Brian Lawson,
With a White Christmas !!! in
Bothwell, Ontario

I stood in the snow in Merlin, OR this morning, installing a new
mailbox post for a client who recently moved down here from Alaska.
You guys can _have_ that white stuff.

White stuff? Oh..you mean that stuff way up on the mountain tops way
up high?

It sometimes comes down to visit us here in Oryguns. Luckily, it
doesn't stick around most of the time. We're due for 14F temps
Thursday night, though. Brrrr! But it kills most of the skeeters.

Shrug..I never get to that elevation

Gunner, who mowed the lawn today.

Watch your email for pics of my new lawn.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

All the Best, and a Happy New Year.

Mega-Dittoes, Brian and All!

Brian Lawson,
With a White Christmas !!! in
Bothwell, Ontario

I stood in the snow in Merlin, OR this morning, installing a new
mailbox post for a client who recently moved down here from Alaska.
You guys can _have_ that white stuff.

White stuff? Oh..you mean that stuff way up on the mountain tops way
up high?

Shrug..I never get to that elevation

Gunner, who mowed the lawn today.

Just hung the puppies out the back door and there was about an inch on
the ground with the odd flake still comming down.
---

Gerry :-)}
London,Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

All the Best, and a Happy New Year.

Mega-Dittoes, Brian and All!

Brian Lawson,
With a White Christmas !!! in
Bothwell, Ontario

I stood in the snow in Merlin, OR this morning, installing a new
mailbox post for a client who recently moved down here from Alaska.
You guys can _have_ that white stuff.

White stuff? Oh..you mean that stuff way up on the mountain tops way
up high?

It sometimes comes down to visit us here in Oryguns. Luckily, it
doesn't stick around most of the time. We're due for 14F temps
Thursday night, though. Brrrr! But it kills most of the skeeters.

Shrug..I never get to that elevation

Gunner, who mowed the lawn today.

Watch your email for pics of my new lawn.

So when do you plant the corn ,come spring? Got enough room there for
winter wheat btw

Btw...put a bumper and a pair of headlight housing on the hedge..and
maybe a chrome windshield frame. It would look pretty good.

You actually do have enough space there to plant a decent "stacked"
garden come spring

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

Happy holidays

Please accept with no obligation, implied or expressed,
my best wishes for an environmentally conscious,
socially responsible, low stress, non addictive, gender
neutral, celebration of the holiday* of your choice
on or about the winter solstice, practiced within the
most enjoyable traditions of the religious persuasion
or secular practices of your choice, with respect for
the religious/secular persuasions and/or traditions of
others, or their choice not to practice religious or
secular traditions at all, and a fiscally successful,
personally fulfilling, and medically uncomplicated
recognition of the onset of the generally accepted
calendar year 2013, but not without due respect for
the calendars of choice of other cultures whose
contributions to society have helped to make
America great (not to imply that America is
greater than any other country or is the only
"America" in the western hemisphere) and without
regard to the race, creed, color, age, physical
ability, religious faith or sexual preference of the wishee.

Notice, Disclaimer and Conditions of Greeting:

By accepting this greeting, you are accepting
these terms. This greeting is subject to clarification
or withdrawal. It is freely transferable, provided there
is no alteration to the original greeting, and is void
where prohibited by law, and is revocable at the sole
discretion of the wisher. There is no promise by
the wisher, express or implied,to actually implement
any of the wishes for her/himself or others. This wish
is warranted to perform as expected within the usual
application of good tidings for a period of one year,
or until the issuance of a subsequent holiday greeting,
whichever comes first, and warranty is limited to
replacement of this wish or issuance of a new
wish at the sole discretion of the wisher.

*As used herein, "holiday" is limited to its secular
meaning, without regard to its English language
derivation from the words "holy day".

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Brian Lawson wrote:

All the Best, and a Happy New Year.

Brian Lawson,
With a White Christmas !!! in
Bothwell, Ontario

I'll see your 'Merry Christmas' and raise you a 'Blessed Christmas'.
:-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner wrote:

Flakes of what?

Global Warming Flakes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

All the Best, and a Happy New Year.

Mega-Dittoes, Brian and All!

Brian Lawson,
With a White Christmas !!! in
Bothwell, Ontario

I stood in the snow in Merlin, OR this morning, installing a new
mailbox post for a client who recently moved down here from Alaska.
You guys can _have_ that white stuff.

White stuff? Oh..you mean that stuff way up on the mountain tops way
up high?

It sometimes comes down to visit us here in Oryguns. Luckily, it
doesn't stick around most of the time. We're due for 14F temps
Thursday night, though. Brrrr! But it kills most of the skeeters.

Shrug..I never get to that elevation

I'm at a lofty 900' here, dude. g (Grants Pass is 960'.)

Gunner, who mowed the lawn today.

Watch your email for pics of my new lawn.

So when do you plant the corn ,come spring? Got enough room there for
winter wheat btw

I've thought about that, lemme tell ya. The West 40 (approx 1/16A) is
for my garden. It gets the longest sun.

Btw...put a bumper and a pair of headlight housing on the hedge..and
maybe a chrome windshield frame. It would look pretty good.

Nah. I'll have the solar array at the front of the house (where the
remaining 2/3 of the birch tree is now) to reduce the length of 12v
wiring. I have enough angle iron and pipe to build the adjustable
frame now, so I'll TIG it up and install it this winter, before I need
it. This 45W system is only for emergency lighting but I might add a
leased system to power the whole house some day. It would cost me
about the same as electricity does now; maybe a bit more. Luckly, I'm
-not- one of the 1,950 people around here who are without electricity
for the past 5 days. 60,000 were out but they fixed lots of downed
lines after the snowstorm took down a whole bunch of trees. We were
relatively untouched out here in the valley. I saw 4 trees down in
Grants Pass during a 15 minute drive the other day. It was a thick,
wet snow and broke lots of branches. I had a wrist-thick branch hit
my roof from the birch.
It's going soon, though.

And much more perennial greenery and flower color, plus a few mounds,
will go up there. I'll intersperse edible garden goodies there.

You actually do have enough space there to plant a decent "stacked"
garden come spring

Yeah, I do that now in a single raised bed on the West 40. I'll grow
lots more next year, JIC. Non-GMO, non-hybrid heirloom seeds are in
the mail to me now, as well as a nice little 55cm Japanese tanto. (My
Christmas presents to myself.)

1. Lie

Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Cool!!

This spring Im going to be turning a significant amount of my side
yards to "crops" Even thinking about the north 1/4 of the front yard.
Make it fun to come up to the house and have corn up tall

Gunner

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.solitude2012.com/images/2...5311090848.jpg

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/EMERGENCY-FOOD-SURVIVAL-SEED-KIT-PUT-YOUR-FAMILY-1ST-/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/$T2eC16dHJGwE9n)yUs0mBQDNYCs4p!~~60_57.JPG

This spring Im going to be turning a significant amount of my side
yards to "crops" Even thinking about the north 1/4 of the front yard.
Make it fun to come up to the house and have corn up tall G

Ayup.

Fresh corn outshines store-bought crap by 12x. Man, what a
difference. I use organic compost instead of chemical fertilizers and
my crops are healthy and productive.

--
Learning to ignore things is one of the great paths to inner peace.
-- Robert J. Sawyer
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Yeah, I do that now in a single raised bed on the West 40. I'll grow
lots more next year, JIC. Non-GMO, non-hybrid heirloom seeds are in
the mail to me now, as well as a nice little 55cm Japanese tanto. (My
Christmas presents to myself.)

Cool!!

http://www.solitude2012.com/images/2...5311090848.jpg

Nice! Hope you got a real one and not a Pakistani version. My son
ordered a 3 blade set some years ago..and while it superficially
looked like real blades...it was utter crap from Pakistan. Id warned
him..but noooo...he wanted "real blades". He certainly didnt get
real blades.....

I felt sorry for him and got him a real set. The Paki stuff is up on a
shelf somewhere.

http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Artic...FWlxQgodnysA4A

This spring Im going to be turning a significant amount of my side
yards to "crops" Even thinking about the north 1/4 of the front yard.
Make it fun to come up to the house and have corn up tall G

Ayup.

Fresh corn outshines store-bought crap by 12x. Man, what a
difference. I use organic compost instead of chemical fertilizers and
my crops are healthy and productive.

Works for me.

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Holidays, Season's Greetings, Joyeux Noel

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 00:28:44 -0800, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

on Tue, 25 Dec 2012 03:05:52 -0500 typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

All the Best, and a Happy New Year.

Mega-Dittoes, Brian and All!

Brian Lawson,
With a White Christmas !!! in
Bothwell, Ontario

I stood in the snow in Merlin, OR this morning, installing a new
mailbox post for a client who recently moved down here from Alaska.
You guys can _have_ that white stuff.

White stuff? Oh..you mean that stuff way up on the mountain tops way
up high?

Shrug..I never get to that elevation

Gunner, who mowed the lawn today.

Just hung the puppies out the back door and there was about an inch on
the ground with the odd flake still comming down.

Ya know, you never hear about the even flakes?

Do they even exist?

pyotr
--
pyotr filipivich
Nothing says loving like a bun in the oven.

All flakes are a little odd in some way or another.

Look at Leftwingers.

Humm...those tend to be flakes And nuts

1. Lie

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Yeah, I do that now in a single raised bed on the West 40. I'll grow
lots more next year, JIC. Non-GMO, non-hybrid heirloom seeds are in
the mail to me now, as well as a nice little 55cm Japanese tanto. (My
Christmas presents to myself.)

Cool!!

http://www.solitude2012.com/images/2...5311090848.jpg

Nice! Hope you got a real one and not a Pakistani version. My son
ordered a 3 blade set some years ago..and while it superficially
looked like real blades...it was utter crap from Pakistan. Id warned
him..but noooo...he wanted "real blades". He certainly didnt get
real blades.....

It's a genuine Chinese "Japanese blade". I made sure of the "full
tang" and "practical" aspects before buying. Here's their blurb:

--snip--

Our company is located in the beautiful scenery,Longquan city, which
is the city of Chinese swords. Our firm is a professional company
mainly producing swords and martial arts equipments; meanwhile, it’s a
excellent emprise of swords industry in Longquan. So far, employs over
50 people, over 10 of which is the R & D personnel. Our company
attaches great importance to quality, so as to create the first brand
of Chinese swords. Company award is based on the following reasons:

Longquan swords own 2500 years of traditional culture. Longquan is
famous for swords and named for porcelain. In the years of Tang Qian
Yuan (759), called Zhi County, Though it only owns1250 years, but its
history can be traced back the Spring and Autumn and the Warring
States Periods, after 2500 years enduring, still stunning. In the
Spring and Autumn Period, the founder Ou ZhiZi, came here and made the
swords: "Longyuan", "Tai e" "Gongbu" ,which created a precedent of
weapons of iron. From then on, Longquan sword skills passed down from
generation to generation, enjoying a high reputation athome and
abroad. The Chinese famous poet Li Bai highly praises: “who Knows such
a normal person as me, there is Lung-chuan under the waist."

Our products, by forging, shoveling, filing, engraving, quenching and
grinding etc. 28 processes, with its "tough sharp, hard but soft,
extremely shining, equisite decoration" as known, have aworded the
highly appreciated and praised by State leaders, foreign friends,
artists and martial arts.

Our company is rapidly growing, which has cooperated with Zhejiang
University to develop and research, will create more new varieties.
Besides, the scale and strength of company is being expanding and
growing. We believe: Honors witness strength, strength to lead the
future. Our company is leading the new trend of Chinese sword and
always applying ourselves to the new swords Concept Ideas: a sword, a
life.

--snip--

I felt sorry for him and got him a real set. The Paki stuff is up on a
shelf somewhere.

Yeah, condolences. I've seen those 3-pc sets and they're real junk.
I didn't do much research the first time and got a nice, shiny,
useless, HEAVY, straight katana. It'd take off a head by sheer weight
alone, I'm sure. ;( But I'm only out $30 and it's in a pretty,
silk-wrapped, dust-collecting box.

I believe the tanto would be well suited as a fallback CQC weapon,
plus it's a truly beautiful looking knife. g

--
You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others,
or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

All the Best, and a Happy New Year.

Mega-Dittoes, Brian and All!

Brian Lawson,
With a White Christmas !!! in
Bothwell, Ontario

I stood in the snow in Merlin, OR this morning, installing a new
mailbox post for a client who recently moved down here from Alaska.
You guys can _have_ that white stuff.

White stuff? Oh..you mean that stuff way up on the mountain tops way
up high?

Shrug..I never get to that elevation

Gunner, who mowed the lawn today.

Just hung the puppies out the back door and there was about an inch on
the ground with the odd flake still comming down.

Ya know, you never hear about the even flakes?

Do they even exist?

If you count them, they will come.

--
You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others,
or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are.
-- Jeph Jacques
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 05:45:26 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I felt sorry for him and got him a real set. The Paki stuff is up on a
shelf somewhere.

Yeah, condolences. I've seen those 3-pc sets and they're real junk.
I didn't do much research the first time and got a nice, shiny,
useless, HEAVY, straight katana. It'd take off a head by sheer weight
alone, I'm sure. ;( But I'm only out $30 and it's in a pretty,
silk-wrapped, dust-collecting box.

I believe the tanto would be well suited as a fallback CQC weapon,
plus it's a truly beautiful looking knife. g

This guys stuff LOOKs good, but I dont have a clue if it IS good.

Execution is pretty nice. Though the WW2 blivit is bogus. His feedback
is pretty good though

http://www.ebay.com/sch/chenmuw8008/...trksid=p369 2

One of my working blades came from these people. Ive no complaints
about it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/full-hand-Ir...4-/28104093115

Ive been playing around with a Naginata..Chinese made...but pretty
decently done. Swapped for it from a guy who was needing some welding
Stuff. Learning to use it properly has been a whole new ballgame.

If you like working tantos..check out Cold Steel on Ebay. Decent
blades

Ive carried one of these for almost 25 yrs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLD-STEEL-O...-/150968254462

Still works nicely. G

Of course..there is the Good Stuff...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-KOTO-KATA...-/281030541600

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's a sweetheart! I have it's younger brother, the Kobun. I keep
it in the truck because I can't carry in CA, and I want something to
keep me safe during trips in the dark. I usually leave at 4am and stop
at rest stops in the dark, so I want "company" as insurance. So far,
it hasn't been necessary, but I've noticed a couple glances at it on
my hip as I head to the head. It's kept outside the jacket so it can't
be considered concealed. I don't want the CAstapo coming down on me,
either.

Still works nicely. G

I should hope so. g

Of course..there is the Good Stuff...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-KOTO-KATA...-/281030541600

Fine, if you're rich and fight _out_side. A tanto is short enough to
work overhanded inside a room without hitting the ceiling.

I finished up a project today. Extra 9W LEDs in an MR16 case went
onto a self-fabbed 1/2" conduit handle on top of the RatSnack project
box.

It has a DPDT switch halfway populated. Forward is to light up the
48LED array room brightener. Back is to light up the 9W spot.
Array puts out around 380 lumens, spot about 560 lumens. Both are
bright white/daylight, 5000-6500K. No yellow **** for me.

There is a 12v jack to charge it with my old spotlight wallwart.

Inside is a 5AH SLA battery, so it should be capable of some real long
runtimes.

The handle is taped with self-vulcanizing rubber tape. I have more
money into it than I'd hoped (about $28, but I wanted something big
and bright, and I figure it cost me maybe 1/4 of what a prefab light
would. And they all have much smaller batteries, shorter runtimes,
and no secondary array for room lighting.

I need to secure the bulb a bit better, and maybe make it swivel, but
that's for tomorrow...

http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...lightFront.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...hlightBack.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...htArrayLit.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...ghtSpotLit.jpg

--
You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others,
or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are.
-- Jeph Jacques
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/full-hand-Ir...4-/28104093115

Ive been playing around with a Naginata..Chinese made...but pretty
decently done. Swapped for it from a guy who was needing some welding
Stuff. Learning to use it properly has been a whole new ballgame.

I can't help but think someone with a dremel drew that hamon on
there... ("created by full hand polishing" is a giveaway.)