Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Kwanzaa, Happy Holidays, Season's Greetings, Joyeux Noel

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 19:28:53 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 08:13:01 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 05:45:26 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

I felt sorry for him and got him a real set. The Paki stuff is up on a
shelf somewhere.

Yeah, condolences. I've seen those 3-pc sets and they're real junk.
I didn't do much research the first time and got a nice, shiny,
useless, HEAVY, straight katana. It'd take off a head by sheer weight
alone, I'm sure. ;( But I'm only out $30 and it's in a pretty,
silk-wrapped, dust-collecting box.

I believe the tanto would be well suited as a fallback CQC weapon,
plus it's a truly beautiful looking knife. g

This guys stuff LOOKs good, but I dont have a clue if it IS good.

Execution is pretty nice. Though the WW2 blivit is bogus. His feedback
is pretty good though

http://www.ebay.com/sch/chenmuw8008/...trksid=p369 2

One of my working blades came from these people. Ive no complaints
about it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/full-hand-Ir...4-/28104093115

Ive been playing around with a Naginata..Chinese made...but pretty
decently done. Swapped for it from a guy who was needing some welding
Stuff. Learning to use it properly has been a whole new ballgame.

If you like working tantos..check out Cold Steel on Ebay. Decent
blades

Ive carried one of these for almost 25 yrs

http://www.ebay.com/itm/COLD-STEEL-O...-/150968254462

That's a sweetheart! I have it's younger brother, the Kobun. I keep
it in the truck because I can't carry in CA, and I want something to
keep me safe during trips in the dark. I usually leave at 4am and stop
at rest stops in the dark, so I want "company" as insurance. So far,
it hasn't been necessary, but I've noticed a couple glances at it on
my hip as I head to the head. It's kept outside the jacket so it can't
be considered concealed. I don't want the CAstapo coming down on me,
either.

Check out the auctions from these people

http://www.ebay.com/sch/m.html?_from... pg=200&rt=nc

They used to be auctions, but are now "buy it now" but the prices
arent half bad. About 25-50% of US retail prices.

There is a Chinese company I buy a lot of blades from, but evidently
he is on Chinese Holiday as he doesnt have any blades at the moment.
Ive mentioned him before. When he gets back..Ill post a link to his
stuff.

In California..any good folder with a blade smaller than 3.75" is
legal. So I generally carry a couple folders. My everyday knife
comes from AutoZone...laugh..a S&W tactical that just went up to
$11.00

I must have bought 20 of them over the last 5 yrs and given them
away..they were $9.

This is what I carry most often in the back pocket...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Smith-Wesson...-/300833035730

Shrug...its not a "great" knife..but made well enough and holds an ok
edge. Bad people tend to walk away when you start cleaning your nails
with it and smiling at them. Shrug Decent enough Krambit.

These arent half bad either

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRKT-Hammond...-/270951838202

Go to ebay and enter ASU8 and some pretty usable knives come up.

Btw...Ive reordered and reordered these. All my buds have them now and
really like them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIRAT-SHARP-...-/200869241901

A VERY versatile fixed blade. Sheaths are so so..but are of a perfect
size (for me) for a utility blade. Ive been buying a AUS8 copy from my
Chinese regular..marked a bit differently...these above are 440c, but
very well done.

And oddly enough..they make a pretty decent neck knife. Almost too
big..but not quite..so hang nicely. Snag one..you will be tickled with
em.

These I gave away for Christmas this year. A pretty damned nice
folder..though no pocket clip

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9-6-Handmade...-/110843374529

They are longer than legal for a "pocket knife" in Cali..but I sewed
some ballistic nylon simple belt pouches..cost nearly nothing to
do...shrug. An unusual and decent blade. Good lock back.

Still works nicely. G

I should hope so. g

Of course..there is the Good Stuff...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/27-KOTO-KATA...-/281030541600

Fine, if you're rich and fight _out_side. A tanto is short enough to
work overhanded inside a room without hitting the ceiling.

I finished up a project today. Extra 9W LEDs in an MR16 case went
onto a self-fabbed 1/2" conduit handle on top of the RatSnack project
box.

It has a DPDT switch halfway populated. Forward is to light up the
48LED array room brightener. Back is to light up the 9W spot.
Array puts out around 380 lumens, spot about 560 lumens. Both are
bright white/daylight, 5000-6500K. No yellow **** for me.

There is a 12v jack to charge it with my old spotlight wallwart.

Inside is a 5AH SLA battery, so it should be capable of some real long
runtimes.

The handle is taped with self-vulcanizing rubber tape. I have more
money into it than I'd hoped (about $28, but I wanted something big
and bright, and I figure it cost me maybe 1/4 of what a prefab light
would. And they all have much smaller batteries, shorter runtimes,
and no secondary array for room lighting.

I need to secure the bulb a bit better, and maybe make it swivel, but
that's for tomorrow...

http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...lightFront.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...hlightBack.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...htArrayLit.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...ghtSpotLit.jpg

Thats pretty cool!! Gonna machine a housing for the lens and array?

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/full-hand-Ir...4-/28104093115

Ive been playing around with a Naginata..Chinese made...but pretty
decently done. Swapped for it from a guy who was needing some welding
Stuff. Learning to use it properly has been a whole new ballgame.

I can't help but think someone with a dremel drew that hamon on
there... ("created by full hand polishing" is a giveaway.)

Or clay lined and then hit it with a bead blaster G

Gunner

1. Lie
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 27 Dec 2012 01:18:33 -0800, Gunner
wrote:

[...]

I picked up a karambit for the truck, complete with glass popper and
seatbelt cutter. It's velcroed to my steering column, in reach of my
hands after a wreck, hopefully. They're mean looking knives, but
damned practical, too. I doubt my "fireman's karambit" is worth a
hoot at $3.80, but it'll do the job once in an emergency, I'm sure.

These arent half bad either

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CRKT-Hammond...-/270951838202

Go to ebay and enter ASU8 and some pretty usable knives come up.

Btw...Ive reordered and reordered these. All my buds have them now and
really like them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIRAT-SHARP-...-/200869241901

A VERY versatile fixed blade. Sheaths are so so..but are of a perfect
size (for me) for a utility blade. Ive been buying a AUS8 copy from my
Chinese regular..marked a bit differently...these above are 440c, but
very well done.

And oddly enough..they make a pretty decent neck knife. Almost too
big..but not quite..so hang nicely. Snag one..you will be tickled with
em.

I picked up a cheaparse little United Sub Commander for a neck knife.
Cutest little 2.75" long blade ya ever did see. I take it hiking

I wrote:
I need to secure the bulb a bit better, and maybe make it swivel, but
that's for tomorrow...

http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...lightFront.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...hlightBack.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...htArrayLit.jpg
http://www.homeandgardenhandyman.com...ghtSpotLit.jpg

Thats pretty cool!! Gonna machine a housing for the lens and array?

I had thought to leave the array stuck on as-is. It's 3M acrylic-
adhesived doublesided tape. I used denatured alcohol to remove any
mold release agents prior to sticking it on. I don't want to lose any
of the light from it, so I probably won't cover it.

For the MR16 bulb, I've been looking for minimalist ways to secure it.
The aluminum housing needs to breathe, as it is the heatsink. But
turning a lens cover is an interesting idea. I'll see if my buddy
(with the machine shop) has some more pistons floating around for
casting up a suitable (dare I say it?) billet.

--
You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others,
or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/full-hand-Ir...4-/28104093115

Ive been playing around with a Naginata..Chinese made...but pretty
decently done. Swapped for it from a guy who was needing some welding
Stuff. Learning to use it properly has been a whole new ballgame.

That's one of the reasons I didn't buy a katana. I figured that I'd
never be able to learn to use it properly.

I can't help but think someone with a dremel drew that hamon on
there... ("created by full hand polishing" is a giveaway.)

Or clay lined and then hit it with a bead blaster G

Ideally, the blades are clay-baked, but look at it. Rather than the
entire edge (ha), it seems to be just a line of various thickness on
the side of the blade, not extending to the cutting edge as I see on
expensive blades. The ha is not the same color as the line, which I
read is the differential hardening. Anyway, I just hope our blades
are well made. We pays our moneys and we takes our chances, eh, cher?
Whoooeee, dem's some purty knives.

--
You can either hold yourself up to the unrealistic standards of others,
or ignore them and concentrate on being happy with yourself as you are.
-- Jeph Jacques
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Brian Lawson wrote:

All the Best, and a Happy New Year.

Brian Lawson,
With a White Christmas !!! in
Bothwell, Ontario

A little late from me but the same to you and yours and the RCM non-trolls!