Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Harbor freight powder gun

Is it my imagination or is this a POS ?

Just used it for the first time and when is the powder going to be attracted to my aluminum part?

Using steel wire to hang -- thought I may try copper -- but even so, there's plenty of charge on the piece (at least I get a nice arc).

Maybe someone has had the same experience -- is this just junk or what?

Taking forever to get powder ON the piece and not to happy about breathing in that powder (AND I'm using a good mask) -- 1st experience with DIY powder -- going back to paint I think.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

beginner mistakes -- actually a nice tool. need to turn the dial on gun for max flow (duh).

just baked one -- pretty nice but DO NOT like breathing that crap.

have a headache (and was wearing a mask).

need to build a bigger chamber and don't know why you couldn't put a small cfm fan toward the back to suck powder to the back?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"mkr5000" wrote in message
beginner mistakes -- actually a nice tool. need to turn the dial on gun
for max flow (duh).

just baked one -- pretty nice but DO NOT like breathing that crap.

have a headache (and was wearing a mask).

need to build a bigger chamber and don't know why you couldn't put a small
cfm fan toward the back to suck powder to the back?

Depending on the parts you are coating (particularly hangable small parts) a
fluid bed may be a better option than an air gun.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message
news
"mkr5000" wrote in message
beginner mistakes -- actually a nice tool. need to turn the dial on gun
for max flow (duh).

just baked one -- pretty nice but DO NOT like breathing that crap.

have a headache (and was wearing a mask).

need to build a bigger chamber and don't know why you couldn't put a
small cfm fan toward the back to suck powder to the back?

Depending on the parts you are coating (particularly hangable small parts)
a fluid bed may be a better option than an air gun.

P.S. For DIY designs for fluid beds look into tackle making. Mostly jigs
and spinner baits.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jon Elson wrote:
mkr5000 wrote:

Is it my imagination or is this a POS ?

Just used it for the first time and when is the powder going to be
attracted to my aluminum part?

Using steel wire to hang -- thought I may try copper -- but even so,
there's plenty of charge on the piece (at least I get a nice arc).

Maybe someone has had the same experience -- is this just junk or what?

Taking forever to get powder ON the piece and not to happy about breathing
in that powder (AND I'm using a good mask) -- 1st experience with DIY
powder -- going back to paint I think.

Yup, I got a cheap one and have similar results. It gets maybe 50% of the
powder on the part, the rest is all over the place.

A friend of mine has a 50 KV powder system, and it does a lot better
than my supposedly 25 KV unit.

Jon

Higher charge voltage makes a difference, BUT it will also cause greater
problems in corners and in areas around holes.
My all time favorite gun was a Ransburg/GEMA 701 with 90 kv internals.
If you want a gun that really works well and can find one they are
really nice.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/14/2012 12:05 PM, mkr5000 wrote:
beginner mistakes -- actually a nice tool. need to turn the dial on gun for max flow (duh).

just baked one -- pretty nice but DO NOT like breathing that crap.

have a headache (and was wearing a mask).

need to build a bigger chamber and don't know why you couldn't put a small cfm fan toward the back to suck powder to the back?

When I worked in a sheet metal shop the paint was all powder. The booth
was 6 feet deep and had multiple fans and filters to suck the excess
powder. The painter still had to wear a mask.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

What's a "fluid bed" ?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 07:25:55 -0700 (PDT), mkr5000
wrote:

What's a "fluid bed" ?

Fluidized bed. You blow air through a container with a layer of powder
at the bottom so the powder starts to behave like a liquid almost.
Heat the part up and dip it into the "fluid" and it sticks to the part
like sh*t to a blanket.

You can coat many, many parts at once if you hang them upside down and
dip them.

http://www.plasticoating.com/Fluid%2...%20Coating.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Interesting -- ever seen a DIY setup for this or is that out of the question?

Off to youtube to see myself.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ah -- so basically you can create a liquid plastic, heat your part, dip it and you're done ? ! This sounds too good to be true. Do you use the regular powder coatings and just mix with water and aerate gently ?

This sounds cool -- sure don't like that damn dry powder.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

God I hate this new groups format -- my replies don't show up.

so this is regular powder that you liquefy with water and gently aerate? then heat the part and just dip it? sounds great !
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 8/15/2012 1:40 PM, mkr5000 wrote:
God I hate this new groups format -- my replies don't show up.

so this is regular powder that you liquefy with water and gently aerate? then heat the part and just dip it? sounds great !

no. a fluid bed is just dry powder. when you blow air into it, the
powder acts like a fluid because there's little friction between the
particles.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mkr5000 wrote:
Ah -- so basically you can create a liquid plastic, heat your part,
dip it and you're done ? ! This sounds too good to be true. Do you
use the regular powder coatings and just mix with water and aerate
gently ?

This sounds cool -- sure don't like that damn dry powder.

Not quite.

Powder paint is actually nothing more than very finely ground thermoset
plastic.
A fluidized bed uses air coming through the powder to make it act just
like a liquid paint. You can use them for a few things.
In this situation you can either preheat the part, dip it then bake it
OR you can charge the bed ground the part and dip it that way, then bake.

The first option gets used by a lot of DIYer because it takes less
equipment and does a good job, the only problem is that it will give you
a thicker coat which actually isn't a good thing as thick powder likes
to chip easily.

You do NOT add any liquids to powder coat. Doing so will ruin the powder
unless you have a way to dry and sift it back to powder.

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:12:54 -0700 (PDT), mkr5000
wrote:

Interesting -- ever seen a DIY setup for this or is that out of the question?

Off to youtube to see myself.

The measly $75 price tag would seem to take most people's thoughts
away from DIY.

--
Make awkward sexual advances, not war.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 15 Aug 2012 13:36:30 -0700 (PDT), mkr5000
wrote:

Ah -- so basically you can create a liquid plastic, heat your part, dip it and you're done ? ! This sounds too good to be true. Do you use the regular powder coatings and just mix with water and aerate gently ?

This sounds cool -- sure don't like that damn dry powder.

Here ya go, mkr5000: http://www.plastidip.com/
I made replacement plier handles with it 40 years ago.

--
Make awkward sexual advances, not war.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Interesting -- ever seen a DIY setup for this or is that out of the question?

Off to youtube to see myself.

The measly $75 price tag would seem to take most people's thoughts
away from DIY.

Where can you get a fluidized bed powder bath for $75???

The hard part seems to be to get sufficiently random and even air flow
out of the diffuser.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-15, mkr5000 wrote:

Ah -- so basically you can create a liquid plastic, heat your part,
dip it and you're done ? ! This sounds too good to be true. Do you use
the regular powder coatings and just mix with water and aerate gently ?

No water. The airflow through the powder makes it *act* like a
liquid, but there is no real liquid.

This sounds cool -- sure don't like that damn dry powder.

You'll still have dry powder. Sorry.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-08-15, mkr5000 wrote:
God I hate this new groups format -- my replies don't show up.

What new format? The format you see it in is a function of who
your news server is and what newsreader you are using. There is no
global format -- there are thousands of news servers around the world,
each carrying copies of the articles.

Your experience can be blamed on Google pure and simple. Get a
subscription to a real news server, and get a real newsreader, and stop
trying to use a web browser for the purpose.

And your replies may well show up after some time. Google is
infamous for a long delay before what you have posted becomes visible to
*you* -- though it is visible to most others around the world a lot
quicker.

so this is regular powder that you liquefy with water and gently
aerate? then heat the part and just dip it? sounds great !

No -- if you add water, it would cool the workpiece off too fast
to melt the powder. It is *just* regular powder and airflow -- no
liquid added. The airflow makes the powder *behave* like a liquid.

Good luck,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Ah -- so basically you can create a liquid plastic, heat your part, dip it and you're done ? ! This sounds too good to be true. Do you use the regular powder coatings and just mix with water and aerate gently ?

This sounds cool -- sure don't like that damn dry powder.

Here ya go, mkr5000: http://www.plastidip.com/
I made replacement plier handles with it 40 years ago.

Ayup. Lots of handy uses for it. And it beat the hell out of the old
:"stick it in boiling water and then shove it on the plyer handles"
gizmos that were around about the same time. Usually a dark red semi
transparent pair of grips.

Klein makes them today as do several other manufactures.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/KLEIN-TOOLS-...-/290761293433

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not
agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my
earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure
- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his
fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 16 Aug 2012 02:55:40 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2012-08-15, mkr5000 wrote:
God I hate this new groups format -- my replies don't show up.

What new format? The format you see it in is a function of who
your news server is and what newsreader you are using. There is no
global format -- there are thousands of news servers around the world,
each carrying copies of the articles.

Your experience can be blamed on Google pure and simple. Get a
subscription to a real news server, and get a real newsreader, and stop
trying to use a web browser for the purpose.

https://www.giganews.com/signup/

The one I use, and Im very very happy with it.\

Forte is also an excellent newsgroup host and

http://www.forteinc.com/main/homepage.php

As for a Usenet reader...Forte Agent is one of the best IMHO

There are many free ones out there as well....

http://usenetreviewz.com/free-usenet/usenet-clients/

I pay $5 a month for usenet. And I use an old copy of Forte Agent
1.94 from the late 1990s (check Pirate Bay etc etc) and it does the
job very nicely and has done so for me since 1997

Gunner

One bleeding-heart type asked me in a recent interview if I did not
agree that "violence begets violence." I told him that it is my
earnest endeavor to see that it does. I would like very much to ensure
- and in some cases I have - that any man who offers violence to his
fellow citizen begets a whole lot more in return than he can enjoy.

- Jeff Cooper

Where did Harbor Freight come from? hr(bob) [email protected] Home Repair 4 February 27th 12 01:20 PM
Off to Harbor Freight [email protected] Woodworking 19 April 4th 09 10:17 PM
Harbor Freight DMM Jim Yanik Home Repair 5 June 5th 06 03:09 PM
Harbor Freight DC Jimmy Woodworking 12 November 18th 05 05:11 PM
Harbor Freight powder coating kit? m5bmw Metalworking 5 October 23rd 03 02:14 AM