Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default coping with stairs

My previous house had one side of the basement that was at ground
level and a door so it was easy to get heavy things into the
basement. My current house does not have a good way to get things
into the basement. And I seem to have heavy things to take down the
stairs. I have managed with a hot water heater, gas furnace, drill
presses, metal shelving, and now I have a cast iron wood stove. Would
not be bad if one could get four people to lift it and carry it, But
the stairway is not wide enough for many people. So I am about to
make a kludge to lower things into and raise things out of the
basement. I think I have things figured out. Basically a couple of 2
by 4's to lay on the stairs and a triangle shaped box with some cleats
to keep it centered on the 2 by 4's. And use a rope to belay it as it
slides down the stairs.

But I thought someone here might have come up with a better idea. So
thought I would ask if any one has done something like this and has
any pointers or advice.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 1, 4:46*pm, " wrote:
[...]

My old house had a Bilco door with concrete steps leading from the
backyard into the basement. I could drive my van into the backyard
and connect a come-along or a wire rope to the hitch/receiver on the
van and get heavy stuff in and out of the basement. What are you
planning to use as an anchor point?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 2, 2:58*pm, "Denis G." wrote:
On Apr 1, 4:46*pm, " wrote:

But I thought someone here might have come up with a better idea. *So
thought I would ask if any one has done something like this and has
any pointers or advice.

Dan

My old house had a Bilco door with concrete steps leading from the
backyard into the basement. *I could drive my van into the backyard
and connect a come-along or a wire rope to the hitch/receiver on the
van and get heavy stuff in and out of the basement. *What are you
planning to use as an anchor point?

Across from the door to the basement is a bathroom. I plan on putting
a 2 by 4 across the door, The stove is not all that heavy, With the
interior baffles and doorls removed it is about a hundred pounds.
Just a bit heavy for one person.

Dan

I have pretty much made the sled. The top is made of 3/4 inch plywood
and the bottom ( parallel to the stairs ) is also 3/4 inch plywood.
I was planning on plywood on the vertical side, but it seems plenty
rigid without doing that. I had the 3/4 inch plywood on hand
otherwise I would have used thinner material.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 02 Apr 2012 13:49:35 -0700, wrote:

On Apr 2, 2:58Â*pm, "Denis G." wrote:
On Apr 1, 4:46Â*pm, " wrote:

But I thought someone here might have come up with a better idea. Â*So
thought I would ask if any one has done something like this and has
any pointers or advice.

Dan

My old house had a Bilco door with concrete steps leading from the
backyard into the basement. Â*I could drive my van into the backyard and
connect a come-along or a wire rope to the hitch/receiver on the van
and get heavy stuff in and out of the basement. Â*What are you planning
to use as an anchor point?

Across from the door to the basement is a bathroom. I plan on putting a
2 by 4 across the door, The stove is not all that heavy, With the
interior baffles and doorls removed it is about a hundred pounds. Just
a bit heavy for one person.

Dan

I have pretty much made the sled. The top is made of 3/4 inch plywood
and the bottom ( parallel to the stairs ) is also 3/4 inch plywood. I
was planning on plywood on the vertical side, but it seems plenty rigid
without doing that. I had the 3/4 inch plywood on hand otherwise I
would have used thinner material.

Just don't belay off of the commode!!

http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
...And I seem to have heavy things to take down the
stairs.

Dan

Don't neglect to reinforce the stairs from below.

Top end control:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...ist-67144.html

Bottom end control:
http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-chain-hoist-996.html

Rope loves to wrap around your feet and whip you off balance.

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 2, 3:49*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 2, 2:58*pm, "Denis G." wrote:

On Apr 1, 4:46*pm, " wrote:

[...]

Gotcha. I've used an HF rope hoist for something like that:
http://www.harborfreight.com/general...ist-45076.html

They're inexpensive and don't look robust, but they worked well for
me. For $7 you could buy one and experiment. The worst problem that
I had was getting them untangled after use -- they get twisted an
snarled if you just throw them in a box.

If you have any marine/boating supply places they might carry better
quality hoists. I've also used old boat winches with wire cables to
do similar lifting/dragging chores.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Top end control:http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...in-hoist-67144....

Bottom end control:http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-chain-hoist-996.html

Rope loves to wrap around your feet and whip you off balance.

jsw

Good advice, but overkill for this. Things are heavy to me when they
are a hundred lbs or so. Carrying something down stairs that weighs a
100 lbs and is awkward to hold is more than I want to do. The wood
stove weighs maybe 100 lbs with the doors off and the internal baffles
removed. The guy I bought it from and I lifted it into my pickup so
it is not too bad. So it is lighter than me and I do not reinforce
the stairs when I go up and down them. With the stairs being less
than 45 degrees, the force along the stairs is less than 70 % of the
weight and when one throws in the sliding friction the force is
probably less than half of the weight. So maybe 50 lbs force for the
rope and should be finger tip control with the rope belayed around a 2
by 4.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 2, 5:01*pm, Kristian Ukkonen wrote:

Depends on how heavy things you want to move, but something
like this would be easy:

http://www.gerdmans.fi/shop/product/..._id__=4070&pro....

Those have 200kg and 300kg ratings.. The three-wheel design makes
them easy to move on stairs..

Looks like that would work well and would be well worth getting or
making if one did a lot of taking things up or down stairs. My
solution is not as refined, but has been made out of material i had on
hand, so only cost labor.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Apr 2, 7:49 pm, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

Rope loves to wrap around your feet and whip you off balance.

jsw

-Good advice, but overkill for this. ...
-Dan

Climbing gear includes a lot of accessories that are useful around the
house:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-climbing_equipment

In this case you might look into a figure 8 descender.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 2, 9:06*pm, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

Climbing gear includes a lot of accessories that are useful around the
house:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock-climbing_equipment

In this case you might look into a figure 8 descender.

I use to do a fair bit of caving when I lived in Alabama. I knew Cole
who invented the rack and made myself a rack which I used when doing
vertical caving. I was in the party that finally got to the bottom of
23 dollar pit. 23 Dollar pit has a total of about 400 feet of
vertical caving in three places.

Here is a picture of a rack. Hard to believe anyone would pay over
$100 for one. When I was caving people made their own from 3/8 inch
dia mild steel rod from Hopper Hardware in Huntsville. I welded the
eye on mine, but most made the eye by wrapping the rod around itself a
couple of times.

http://www.smcgear.net/smc-products?...562&vmcchk= 1

And here is a mention of 23 dollar pit.

http://www.stationr.org/caving/23dollar.htm

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 14:46:46 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

basement. My current house does not have a good way to get things
into the basement. And I seem to have heavy things to take down the
stairs.

But I thought someone here might have come up with a better idea. So
thought I would ask if any one has done something like this and has
any pointers or advice.

Dan

How about setting up some 4x4's in a tripod arrangement and lowering
it into the hole with that. I've seen a couple of photos on the net
of guys lowering Bridgeports into cellars that way.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Just had to deal with this at another home. I picked up some heavy
pipe. Drilled through it and countersunk the holes. Screwed this to the
edge of a couple 2X4s with blocks between them at the same angle as the
stairs. Then built a simple flat cart with 4 cheap sheaves as guide
wheels. Lowered it with a boat winch.

When it is needed it drops into place easily. Plus it stores out of the
way behind the stairs.
--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 2, 10:37*pm, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET
wrote:

How about setting up some 4x4's in a tripod arrangement and lowering
it into the hole with that. *I've seen a couple of photos on the net
of guys lowering Bridgeports into cellars that way.

RWL

My wife would not be happy if I cut a hole in the floor. I did hear
of someone that dug a hole in the basement floor to get enough height
for a Bridgeport.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 2, 10:49*pm, "Steve W." wrote:
wrote:
[...]

That is close to what I have done. Except no pipe and no sheaves.
Going down I figure the sliding friction will not be a problem. if I
use it to raise things, I will be thinking of some sort of wheels.
Will probably try it out tomorrow.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

How about setting up some 4x4's in a tripod arrangement and lowering
it into the hole with that. *I've seen a couple of photos on the net
of guys lowering Bridgeports into cellars that way.

RWL

My wife would not be happy if I cut a hole in the floor. I did hear
of someone that dug a hole in the basement floor to get enough height
for a Bridgeport.

Dan

When looking to buy ourf irst house, we were shown one where an
addition had been built, including a basement "bedroom". To reach this
bedroom, you descend the original basement stairway to a 66 inch high
room, crossing this area by walking along a 24 inch wide x 18 inch
deep concreted groove in the floor to the entrance to the new
"bedroom". One wall of the original, shallow basement had been covered
with white brickwork in the form of a dual fireplace, presumably to
turn the area into a recreation room - I guess you could sit on the
floor with your feet in the trench and watch phoney flames in your
false fireplace.
Amazing what you see when looking in the first house price range!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 1, 11:46*am, " wrote:
[...]

I've done that. It works fine.
Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 3, 5:37*am, " wrote:

I've done that. It works fine.
Karl

Have not loaded the wood stove on it, but have it all together and
have run the sled up and down unloaded. Works well, but have decided
on rigging the rope for a 2:1 mechanical advantage. Could use a
pulley, but why. In this case friction is my friend. So will
probably just use a quick link.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

How about setting up some 4x4's in a tripod arrangement and lowering
it into the hole with that. *I've seen a couple of photos on the net
of guys lowering Bridgeports into cellars that way.

RWL

My wife would not be happy if I cut a hole in the floor. I did hear
of someone that dug a hole in the basement floor to get enough height
for a Bridgeport.

Dan

I thought you had an outside Bilco door you could lower it into.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 3, 10:24*pm, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at PTD dot NET
wrote:

I thought you had an outside Bilco door you could lower it into.

RWL

I have thought about adding a Bilco door, but so far just wistful
thoughts.

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 3, 8:14*pm, " wrote:

Have not loaded the wood stove on it, but have it all together and
have run the sled up and down unloaded. *Works well, but have decided
on rigging the rope for a 2:1 mechanical advantage. *Could use a
pulley, but why. *In this case friction is my friend. *So will
probably just use a quick link.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *Dan

The Eagle has landed. The wood stove is in the basement. And the
sled worked pretty well. I got the wood stove up from the garage to
the house using some ramps and a come a long. And then onto a dolly
and rolled it to the door leading to the basement stairs. I got the
sled up to the same level as the floor and then secured a 1 by 2 to
the tracks so the sled was secure. Getting the stove on the sled took
a bunch of fiddling. The stove is too wide to go thru the door
easily. So the stove went through the door sideways. And the legs of
the stove are 27 inches apart that way and the sled is only 24 inches
in that direction. So had to lay some wood on top of the sled .

Since I had to remove the 1 by 2 chock I ran the rope from the 2 by 4
across the door thru the quick link attached to the sled and back
around the 2 by 4 and down to the stairs below the sled. This gave me
really good control with only a little force needed to hold the sled
still. So holding the rope with one hand, I removed the screws
holding the 1 by 2 to the tracks and slowly lowered the stove. Very
slowly as there was a lot of stiction and vibration. But it worked
pretty much as planned. Maybe waxing the tracks and or the bottom of
the sled would get rid of the stiction.

It would have been a lot easier if I had made a dolly that was just
the size of the top of the sled. Then I could have easily rolled the
stove on the dolly onto the sled.
With of course a lip around three sides of the sled so the dolly would
not roll off the sled.
Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Apr 4, 8:53*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 3, 8:14*pm, " wrote:

[...]

Always good to hear that something works as planned, and you don't
have an incident punctuated by an expletive.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 07:00:28 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Apr 4, 8:53*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 3, 8:14*pm, " wrote:

[...]

~20 years ago, a recently widowed aquaintance sold a 50" projection TV
to a sales type guy. The TV was located in the rec. room of the town
house so had to be negotiated around a couple of right angles and up a
flight of stairs. The buyer showed up with his 85 pound wife to pick
up his purchase. I ensured that he understood that the purchase was
"as is - where is", to which, after a quick verification that it was
in good working condition, he readily agreed and paid over the
determined price. In consideration of the well being of his wife,
Junior and I volunteered to help with the extraction, and after
considerable effort and a few dents in the drywall, we had it outside
where he insisted on laying it face down in his Jeep Cherokee
whereupon I distinctly heard "CRACK." I neverdidi find out whether it
worked or not when he got it home.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Apr 4, 8:53 pm, " wrote:
On Apr 3, 8:14 pm, " wrote:

[...]

That sounds like an expensive mistake. I wonder if he learned from it
or just found someone to blame.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
On Apr 4, 8:53 pm, " wrote:
On Apr 3, 8:14 pm, " wrote:

[...]

At least the lady got her money before the TV got moved an inch.

Coping dadiOH[_3_] Woodworking 35 March 17th 12 10:07 PM
Electric Coping Saw Matt Zack Woodworking 8 February 20th 06 11:53 AM
Stairs Into Kitchen - 2 sets of stairs ? Andy UK diy 2 January 21st 06 11:00 PM
Carpeting stairs and filling in wood stairs Dantanna Home Ownership 2 January 10th 05 11:35 PM
Re; Tube coping JTMcC Metalworking 0 September 25th 03 12:44 AM