Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Dantanna

Default Carpeting stairs and filling in wood stairs

I have prefab stairs going down to the basement. I bought some 2x10's to
fill in the vertical rise openings. I noticed on typical stairs that are
carpeted that there is a lip where stair surface must jut out from the
vertical piece about 1 inch. Well, on my prefab stairs if I simply install
a filler piece I will have no "lip". Is this a problem when it comes time
to carpet the stairs? That is, are installers used to installing a pure 90
deg rise and 0 degree run of carpet for a set of stairs or do they need to
have a angle to install the carpet? Hopefully you guys can figure out what
I'm trying to desribe here :-) And hopefully I can find out something
before I go nailing in the filler pieces -

Cheers

Dantanna

Ya! As an update as I started nailing in the 2x10 filler pieces on the
rises I noticed that they made a nice "lip" pointing down. Does this maybe
mean that the stairs were installed wrong? I don't plan on taking them
out - I just hope they will hold carpeting this way (without a lip).

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 22:34:47 GMT, someone wrote:

Can you nail some bullnose on to the edge of the tread? Just saying it
is "prefab" I don't know if that means the edges of the treads are
plain squared lumber or if they are rounded.

-v.