Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default coping with stairs

On Apr 2, 3:49*pm, " wrote:
On Apr 2, 2:58*pm, "Denis G." wrote:

On Apr 1, 4:46*pm, " wrote:

But I thought someone here might have come up with a better idea. *So
thought I would ask if any one has done something like this and has
any pointers or advice.

Dan

My old house had a Bilco door with concrete steps leading from the
backyard into the basement. *I could drive my van into the backyard
and connect a come-along or a wire rope to the hitch/receiver on the
van and get heavy stuff in and out of the basement. *What are you
planning to use as an anchor point?

Across from the door to the basement is a bathroom. *I plan on putting
a 2 by 4 across the door, * The stove is not all that heavy, With the
interior baffles and doorls *removed it is about a hundred pounds.
Just a bit heavy for one person.

Dan

I have pretty much made the sled. *The top is made of 3/4 inch plywood
and the bottom *( parallel to the stairs ) is also 3/4 inch plywood.
I was planning on plywood on the vertical side, but it seems plenty
rigid without doing that. *I had the 3/4 inch plywood on hand
otherwise I would have used thinner material.

Gotcha. I've used an HF rope hoist for something like that:
http://www.harborfreight.com/general...ist-45076.html

They're inexpensive and don't look robust, but they worked well for
me. For $7 you could buy one and experiment. The worst problem that
I had was getting them untangled after use -- they get twisted an
snarled if you just throw them in a box.

If you have any marine/boating supply places they might carry better
quality hoists. I've also used old boat winches with wire cables to
do similar lifting/dragging chores.