Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default coping with stairs

On Apr 2, 7:49*pm, "Jim Wilkins" wrote:

Don't neglect to reinforce the stairs from below.

Top end control:http://www.harborfreight.com/1-4-qua...in-hoist-67144....

Bottom end control:http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-chain-hoist-996.html

Rope loves to wrap around your feet and whip you off balance.

jsw

Good advice, but overkill for this. Things are heavy to me when they
are a hundred lbs or so. Carrying something down stairs that weighs a
100 lbs and is awkward to hold is more than I want to do. The wood
stove weighs maybe 100 lbs with the doors off and the internal baffles
removed. The guy I bought it from and I lifted it into my pickup so
it is not too bad. So it is lighter than me and I do not reinforce
the stairs when I go up and down them. With the stairs being less
than 45 degrees, the force along the stairs is less than 70 % of the
weight and when one throws in the sliding friction the force is
probably less than half of the weight. So maybe 50 lbs force for the
rope and should be finger tip control with the rope belayed around a 2
by 4.

Dan