Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default coping with stairs

My previous house had one side of the basement that was at ground
level and a door so it was easy to get heavy things into the
basement. My current house does not have a good way to get things
into the basement. And I seem to have heavy things to take down the
stairs. I have managed with a hot water heater, gas furnace, drill
presses, metal shelving, and now I have a cast iron wood stove. Would
not be bad if one could get four people to lift it and carry it, But
the stairway is not wide enough for many people. So I am about to
make a kludge to lower things into and raise things out of the
basement. I think I have things figured out. Basically a couple of 2
by 4's to lay on the stairs and a triangle shaped box with some cleats
to keep it centered on the 2 by 4's. And use a rope to belay it as it
slides down the stairs.

But I thought someone here might have come up with a better idea. So
thought I would ask if any one has done something like this and has
any pointers or advice.

Dan