Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] grmiller@rogers.com is offline

Default coping with stairs

On Fri, 6 Apr 2012 07:12:07 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."
wrote:

On Apr 5, 8:14*pm, wrote:
On Thu, 5 Apr 2012 07:00:28 -0700 (PDT), "Denis G."

wrote:
On Apr 4, 8:53 pm, " wrote:
On Apr 3, 8:14 pm, " wrote:

Have not loaded the wood stove on it, but have it all together and
have run the sled up and down unloaded. Works well, but have decided
on rigging the rope for a 2:1 mechanical advantage. Could use a
pulley, but why. In this case friction is my friend. So will
probably just use a quick link.

Dan

The Eagle has landed. The wood stove is in the basement. And the
sled worked pretty well. I got the wood stove up from the garage to
the house using some ramps and a come a long. And then onto a dolly
and rolled it to the door leading to the basement stairs. I got the
sled up to the same level as the floor and then secured a 1 by 2 to
the tracks so the sled was secure. Getting the stove on the sled took
a bunch of fiddling. The stove is too wide to go thru the door
easily. So the stove went through the door sideways. And the legs of
the stove are 27 inches apart that way and the sled is only 24 inches
in that direction. So had to lay some wood on top of the sled .

Since I had to remove the 1 by 2 chock I ran the rope from the 2 by 4
across the door thru the quick link attached to the sled and back
around the 2 by 4 and down to the stairs below the sled. This gave me
really good control with only a little force needed to hold the sled
still. So holding the rope with one hand, I removed the screws
holding the 1 by 2 to the tracks and slowly lowered the stove. Very
slowly as there was a lot of stiction and vibration. But it worked
pretty much as planned. Maybe waxing the tracks and or the bottom of
the sled would get rid of the stiction.

It would have been a lot easier if I had made a dolly that was just
the size of the top of the sled. Then I could have easily rolled the
stove on the dolly onto the sled.
With of course a lip around three sides of the sled so the dolly would
not roll off the sled.
Dan

Always good to hear that something works as planned, and you don't
have an incident punctuated by an expletive.

~20 years ago, a recently widowed aquaintance sold a 50" projection TV
to a sales type guy. The TV was located in the rec. room of the town
house so had to be negotiated around a couple of right angles and up a
flight of stairs. The buyer showed up with his 85 pound wife to pick
up his purchase. I ensured that he understood that the purchase was
"as is - where is", to which, after a quick verification that it was
in good working condition, he readily agreed and paid over the
determined price. In consideration of the well being of his wife,
Junior and I volunteered to help with the extraction, and after
considerable effort and a few dents in the drywall, we had it outside
where he insisted on laying it face down in his Jeep Cherokee
whereupon I distinctly heard "CRACK." I neverdidi find out whether it
worked or not when he got it home.

That sounds like an expensive mistake. I wonder if he learned from it
or just found someone to blame.

At least the lady got her money before the TV got moved an inch.