Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Which weld is mine?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

I revisited a site where I did some work 22 years ago, but thoroughly for a
different reason than welding. I went out to look and see if the lock boxes
I had put up 22 years ago were still there, and how they did. Apparently,
pretty good. They did change to Medco locks, a much better lock, but the
original welding still looked pretty darn good.

Compared, as you see, to someone who had been there after me.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pretty funny!

Did you do your weld vertically?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-03-19, Steve B wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

I revisited a site where I did some work 22 years ago, but thoroughly for
different reason than welding. I went out to look and see if the lock
boxes
I had put up 22 years ago were still there, and how they did.
Apparently,
pretty good. They did change to Medco locks, a much better lock, but the
original welding still looked pretty darn good.

Compared, as you see, to someone who had been there after me.

Steve

Wow. Even my meager skills are better than that.... although I have found
for applications like that I like my little Chinese flux core wire feed and
a freshly ground surface.. I usually get crappy droop out near the bottom,
but after that a simple series of short tack welds looks pretty decent. I
also go back over mine with a grinder and refill any hollow cavities that
come up and regrind, Basically making up for my lack of skill with a little
bit of work ethic. Welding bent plate handles on personnel gates is one of
the very few things I do with welding as part of my day job, and that only
rarely. I almost always wind up having to do it vertically.

Anyway, I wish my welds looked as good as yours without having to go over
and regrind, and I am sure glad they don't look as bad as that other guy's.

A trick I saw once... and I wasn't thrilled by it... done by a licensed
fence company. They welded on the handles, and then filled with caulk and
painted over it. It looked good at first, but a handle broke off exposing
their crappy job after a couple years. When the customer saw the way I
redid it to fix it he asked me to break off all their handles and weld on
new ones. LOL.

(My company does access control among other things, and sometimes we have to
integrate outdoor personnel gates into access/alarm systems.)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/19/2012 2:58 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
[...]

My technique probably isn't much better...

Weld only for repair when required and that doesn't happen nearly as
much w/ modern farm equipment as did 50 years ago or so....

My problem is generally in picking a rod and temperature
combination--I've never had any training so it's all a trial 'n error
learning experience and having been off the farm for the 30-yr stretch
after book-larnin' until came back after Dad died, this is a recent
attempt to catch up. But, if I can ever luck into the magic
combination, then I (like most anybody else) can run a pretty decent bead.

I really _should_ go up to the Tech School and take some classes, but
they've stopped the casual classes and only teach the full-bore welding
tech sequence now so it's tougher to just get a little...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--

Try burning at least 20 lbs of rod and your results will greatly
improve. I am not joking or posturing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
dpb dpb is offline

On 3/20/2012 10:20 AM, Ignoramus30559 wrote:

Try burning at least 20 lbs of rod and your results will greatly
improve. I am not joking or posturing.

Undoubtedly...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus3098" wrote in message
Pretty funny!

Did you do your weld vertically?

Yes, the one on the left is mine. ;-) Vertical, travel down.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-03-20, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus3098" wrote in message
Pretty funny!

Did you do your weld vertically?

Yes, the one on the left is mine. ;-) Vertical, travel down.

Yes, I figured that yours was on the left.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-03-20, Steve B wrote:
"Ignoramus3098" wrote in message
Pretty funny!

Did you do your weld vertically?

Yes, the one on the left is mine. ;-) Vertical, travel down.

Yes, I figured that yours was on the left.

That other one looks like a cheap wire feed in the hands of a monkey.
One of the dept. members picked up a wire feed from one of the tool
truck outfits that wanders through here during the summer (Cummins I
think it was) IF you take some time and learn it limits it isn't a bad
homeowner machine. You won't be welding heavy steel in one pass but for
the stuff under 3/16" it works OK. The trick is learning those limits.
In this case I think the limit was... Hey I can weld that , hold my beer
and don't spill it that's the of the case we have....

--
Steve W.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2012-03-20, Steve B wrote:
"Ignoramus3098" wrote in message
Pretty funny!

Did you do your weld vertically?

Yes, the one on the left is mine. ;-) Vertical, travel down.

Yes, I figured that yours was on the left.

That other one looks like a cheap wire feed in the hands of a monkey. One
of the dept. members picked up a wire feed from one of the tool truck
outfits that wanders through here during the summer (Cummins I think it
was) IF you take some time and learn it limits it isn't a bad homeowner
machine. You won't be welding heavy steel in one pass but for the stuff
under 3/16" it works OK. The trick is learning those limits. In this case
I think the limit was... Hey I can weld that , hold my beer and don't
spill it that's the of the case we have....

--
Steve W.

I needed to weld on a weld on hook for my hammock. I chose to run it
vertical, travel up for strength. The weld came out looking beautiful, and
I am confident of its strength. Now, it's just to hold up my 180# bony
frame, plus any female who may want to take the chance for a tandem ride.

I do have a 220v. machine, and can crank it up to the upper parameters of
the weld, and have qualified x-ray on 1" open root plate. So, I think I can
put down a weld that might not be perfect, but hold my bony ass, plus
Bertha's.

This particular weld calls for the same thing as stick welding. Weave and
pause, building a shelf for the next pass.

Trouble is, and I must plead guilty on this one, a beautiful weld may be a
cold lapped weld with no penetration, and the failure mode will come at the
height of pleasure, or at least at the most inopportune time for all
involved.........

Weld analysis is taken to the point of failure, as it should be.

Know whut uh mean, Vern?

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Mar 2012 10:32:20 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

I revisited a site where I did some work 22 years ago, but thoroughly for
different reason than welding. I went out to look and see if the lock
boxes
I had put up 22 years ago were still there, and how they did. Apparently,
pretty good. They did change to Medco locks, a much better lock, but the
original welding still looked pretty darn good.

Compared, as you see, to someone who had been there after me.

Steve

I wish I were a good welder, I have an ice welder a Miller Syncrowave 351,
with a 350 amp water cooled tig torch, and a water cooled Spot, I do have
stick leads on it, I can do better then the one on the right in your \pic,
but
not the left, heck I have a hard enough time finding the right settings to
use
on my machine each time I try to weld with it, a nice traning session on
my
machine would be awesome, I asked a couple welding supply places, the only
answer I could get was go to a tech school, if it wasn;t forty miles away
might

Put an ad in your local paper. A weldor can come to your house and teach
you in a much shorter time than you would pick it up at trade school.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sat, 24 Mar 2012 02:50:34 -0700
On Tue, 20 Mar 2012 17:04:21 -0700, "Steve B" wrote:

Trouble is, and I must plead guilty on this one, a beautiful weld may be a
cold lapped weld with no penetration, and the failure mode will come at the
height of pleasure, or at least at the most inopportune time for all
involved.........

Or it could be holding a brand new spare tire on a flat bed trailer.....

Gunner, still looking for his tire.....

Should have put one of the RFID chips on it. The Tin Hat Brigades
wears those can be tracked from orbit.

I know, "Next time, next time .."

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the

Mine is 89 inches, what about yours Wes[_2_] Metalworking 2 February 26th 10 11:25 PM
Mine is 89 inches, what about yours Pete C. Metalworking 4 February 25th 10 09:42 AM
I ordered mine! Leon[_6_] Woodworking 53 November 10th 09 09:35 PM
Your GE Experience -- Mine is Don't Buy Cynthia Home Ownership 9 November 27th 05 07:34 PM
I should have kept mine Dukester Woodworking 21 April 4th 05 10:08 PM