Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus30559 Ignoramus30559 is offline

Default Which weld is mine?

On 2012-03-20, dpb wrote:
On 3/19/2012 2:58 PM, Bob La Londe wrote:
"Ignoramus3098" wrote in message
Pretty funny!

Did you do your weld vertically?

pretty good. They did change to Medco locks, a much better lock, but the
original welding still looked pretty darn good.

Compared, as you see, to someone who had been there after me.

Steve

Wow. Even my meager skills are better than that.... although I have
found for applications like that I like my little Chinese flux core wire
feed and a freshly ground surface.. I usually get crappy droop out near
the bottom, but after that a simple series of short tack welds looks
pretty decent. I also go back over mine with a grinder and refill any
hollow cavities that come up and regrind, Basically making up for my
lack of skill with a little bit of work ethic. ...

Anyway, I wish my welds looked as good as yours without having to go
over and regrind, and I am sure glad they don't look as bad as that
other guy's.

My technique probably isn't much better...

Weld only for repair when required and that doesn't happen nearly as
much w/ modern farm equipment as did 50 years ago or so....

My problem is generally in picking a rod and temperature
combination--I've never had any training so it's all a trial 'n error
learning experience and having been off the farm for the 30-yr stretch
after book-larnin' until came back after Dad died, this is a recent
attempt to catch up. But, if I can ever luck into the magic
combination, then I (like most anybody else) can run a pretty decent bead.

I really _should_ go up to the Tech School and take some classes, but
they've stopped the casual classes and only teach the full-bore welding
tech sequence now so it's tougher to just get a little...

--

Try burning at least 20 lbs of rod and your results will greatly
improve. I am not joking or posturing.