Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Which weld is mine?

"Steve W." wrote in message
Ignoramus30559 wrote:
On 2012-03-20, Steve B wrote:
"Ignoramus3098" wrote in message
Pretty funny!

Did you do your weld vertically?

Yes, the one on the left is mine. ;-) Vertical, travel down.

Yes, I figured that yours was on the left.

That other one looks like a cheap wire feed in the hands of a monkey. One
of the dept. members picked up a wire feed from one of the tool truck
outfits that wanders through here during the summer (Cummins I think it
was) IF you take some time and learn it limits it isn't a bad homeowner
machine. You won't be welding heavy steel in one pass but for the stuff
under 3/16" it works OK. The trick is learning those limits. In this case
I think the limit was... Hey I can weld that , hold my beer and don't
spill it that's the of the case we have....

--
Steve W.

I needed to weld on a weld on hook for my hammock. I chose to run it
vertical, travel up for strength. The weld came out looking beautiful, and
I am confident of its strength. Now, it's just to hold up my 180# bony
frame, plus any female who may want to take the chance for a tandem ride.

I do have a 220v. machine, and can crank it up to the upper parameters of
the weld, and have qualified x-ray on 1" open root plate. So, I think I can
put down a weld that might not be perfect, but hold my bony ass, plus
Bertha's.

This particular weld calls for the same thing as stick welding. Weave and
pause, building a shelf for the next pass.

Trouble is, and I must plead guilty on this one, a beautiful weld may be a
cold lapped weld with no penetration, and the failure mode will come at the
height of pleasure, or at least at the most inopportune time for all
involved.........

Weld analysis is taken to the point of failure, as it should be.

Know whut uh mean, Vern?

Steve