Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Which weld is mine?

"Ignoramus3098" wrote in message
Pretty funny!

Did you do your weld vertically?

On 2012-03-19, Steve B wrote:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/deserttraveler/

I revisited a site where I did some work 22 years ago, but thoroughly for
different reason than welding. I went out to look and see if the lock
boxes
I had put up 22 years ago were still there, and how they did.
Apparently,
pretty good. They did change to Medco locks, a much better lock, but the
original welding still looked pretty darn good.

Compared, as you see, to someone who had been there after me.

Steve

Wow. Even my meager skills are better than that.... although I have found
for applications like that I like my little Chinese flux core wire feed and
a freshly ground surface.. I usually get crappy droop out near the bottom,
but after that a simple series of short tack welds looks pretty decent. I
also go back over mine with a grinder and refill any hollow cavities that
come up and regrind, Basically making up for my lack of skill with a little
bit of work ethic. Welding bent plate handles on personnel gates is one of
the very few things I do with welding as part of my day job, and that only
rarely. I almost always wind up having to do it vertically.

Anyway, I wish my welds looked as good as yours without having to go over
and regrind, and I am sure glad they don't look as bad as that other guy's.

A trick I saw once... and I wasn't thrilled by it... done by a licensed
fence company. They welded on the handles, and then filled with caulk and
painted over it. It looked good at first, but a handle broke off exposing
their crappy job after a couple years. When the customer saw the way I
redid it to fix it he asked me to break off all their handles and weld on
new ones. LOL.

(My company does access control among other things, and sometimes we have to
integrate outdoor personnel gates into access/alarm systems.)