Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Liberals vs. conservatives, from the narrow perspective of a brain-dead liberal.

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 16:51:56 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message
. ..

Only if we had "gasoline coupon" or GBT (gasoline benefit transfer) card
from the government.

Gasoline, like everything, would be rationed.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
.

Here's a rationed gasoline story with a twist of faith.

God turns water into petrol:
http://wigglesworth.born-again-chris...miracles.1.htm

Can you get him do that with Jim Beam? If so, I'll do your advertising
for some of the product.

I've heard of a few times where water was turned into gasoline and other
times where an auto continued to run for hundreds of miles without any
gasoline.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that you've heard of that happening...

--
Ed Huntress

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 16:51:56 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

snip
Here's a rationed gasoline story with a twist of faith.

God turns water into petrol:
http://wigglesworth.born-again-chris...miracles.1.htm

Can you get him do that with Jim Beam? If so, I'll do your advertising
for some of the product.

The only times I've heard of miracles for profit has been from phonies.

I've heard of a few times where water was turned into gasoline and other
times where an auto continued to run for hundreds of miles without any
gasoline.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that you've heard of that happening...

--
Ed Huntress

More interesting is one of the things I haven't heard of happening. In the
Bible there were a group of people that closely fit the description of the
modern day liberal. The Sadducees didn't believe in the miraculous. In the
Bible there are stories of conversions of Pharisees, gentiles, drunks,
prostitutes, etc., but no accounts of Sadducees, a person like a modern day
liberal, ever being saved, interesting.

My ex wife, while she was my wife, received healings for all sorts of little
problems, gall bladder, wisdom teeth bothering her, and other things that
she was having problems with, after prayer, no more problems. Then she lost
interest in God and before divorcing me she claimed God never did nothing
for her. I brought this up to God that she claimed he never did nothing for
her, not long after that her gall bladder started bothering her again, she
had to have surgery, problems with wisdom teeth came back and she had to
have dental work, other thing she had been healed of came back after her
confession of faith that God didn't do anything for her. The only thing I
could remember of was when she was healed of hepatitis, that never came back
to her that I know of.

You people that don't believe think we are gullible because we do believe.
The thing you don't know is that some of those that believe have a better
reason for their beliefs than you do for yours.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 18:29:41 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 16:51:56 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

snip
Here's a rationed gasoline story with a twist of faith.

God turns water into petrol:
http://wigglesworth.born-again-chris...miracles.1.htm

Can you get him do that with Jim Beam? If so, I'll do your advertising
for some of the product.

The only times I've heard of miracles for profit has been from phonies.

Aha. So, loaves and fishes, and free gas, are Ok. But Jim Beam is not.
Wine is Ok though, right? How about ethanol fuel? I'll have to write
this down to keep it straight...

I've heard of a few times where water was turned into gasoline and other
times where an auto continued to run for hundreds of miles without any
gasoline.

Somehow it doesn't surprise me that you've heard of that happening...

--
Ed Huntress

More interesting is one of the things I haven't heard of happening. In the
Bible there were a group of people that closely fit the description of the
modern day liberal. The Sadducees didn't believe in the miraculous. In the
Bible there are stories of conversions of Pharisees, gentiles, drunks,
prostitutes, etc., but no accounts of Sadducees, a person like a modern day
liberal, ever being saved, interesting.

So what happened to these Sadduceesez? I think that maybe they became
Wall Streeters, right?

My ex wife, while she was my wife, received healings for all sorts of little
problems, gall bladder, wisdom teeth bothering her, and other things that
she was having problems with, after prayer, no more problems. Then she lost
interest in God and before divorcing me she claimed God never did nothing
for her. I brought this up to God that she claimed he never did nothing for
her, not long after that her gall bladder started bothering her again, she
had to have surgery, problems with wisdom teeth came back and she had to
have dental work, other thing she had been healed of came back after her
confession of faith that God didn't do anything for her. The only thing I
could remember of was when she was healed of hepatitis, that never came back
to her that I know of.

But she got rid of you, eh? Maybe she considered that a worthwhile
compensation.

You people that don't believe think we are gullible because we do believe.
The thing you don't know is that some of those that believe have a better
reason for their beliefs than you do for yours.

RogerN

No, you people who believe think that people who don't believe think
you are gullible. In a sense, that's your gullibility, perhaps.

There is a loooong chasm between most believers and folks who believe
that they made their ex-wives' wisdom teeth grow back by having had a
little conversation with God about payback. That isn't gullibility,
Roger. And it's not faith. It's something very strange indeed.
--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

snip
There is a loooong chasm between most believers and folks who believe
that they made their ex-wives' wisdom teeth grow back by having had a
little conversation with God about payback. That isn't gullibility,
Roger. And it's not faith. It's something very strange indeed.
--
Ed Huntress

Seems you misunderstood about as much as possible, I had nothing to do with
her problems coming back, it was all her.

What Jesus said:
Mark 11:23 ...he (also works for she) shall have whatsoever he saith.

She said God did nothing for her, she got what she "saith".

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 19:42:45 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .

snip
There is a loooong chasm between most believers and folks who believe
that they made their ex-wives' wisdom teeth grow back by having had a
little conversation with God about payback. That isn't gullibility,
Roger. And it's not faith. It's something very strange indeed.
--
Ed Huntress

Seems you misunderstood about as much as possible, I had nothing to do with
her problems coming back, it was all her.

Ah, did she have a conversation with God about it, too? And he sided
with you?

What Jesus said:
Mark 11:23 ...he (also works for she) shall have whatsoever he saith.

She said God did nothing for her, she got what she "saith".

She saith, "please get Roger away from me"?

I'm not following this. It sounds pretty complicated.

--
Ed Huntress

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 19:42:45 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

snip

Seems you misunderstood about as much as possible, I had nothing to do
with
her problems coming back, it was all her.

Ah, did she have a conversation with God about it, too? And he sided
with you?

If God heals someone through faith, then the person that had faith claimed
he didn't do anything for them, they shouldn't be surprised that they lose
their healing.

What Jesus said:
Mark 11:23 ...he (also works for she) shall have whatsoever he saith.

She said God did nothing for her, she got what she "saith".

She saith, "please get Roger away from me"?

I think she said that to the Land of Lincoln Legal Assistance. She had to
tell them lies to come up with a reason for wanting a divorce, but lying was
her native tongue, she spoke lies better than English.

She left me for a man that was a fun outgoing personality, also an
alcoholic, who later raped one of our daughters. The divorce, free legal
assistance, public aid, all the libtarded programs that helped her
successfully get a divorce produced kids that live on the system like their
mom does.

I'm not following this. It sounds pretty complicated.

Ah, I think Cliff lives in you!

Understanding the truths of God are hidden from the world but they are
revealed to God's children. If anyone obeys Christ's teachings to the best
of their understanding, he will send them the Holy Spirit that will teach
them.

John 14:
22 Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, "But, Lord, why do you intend to
show yourself to us and not to the world?"

23 Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will
love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them. 24 Anyone
who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not
my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

25 "All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the
Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things
and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with
you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not
let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

RogerN

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 21:40:42 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
.. .

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 19:42:45 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

snip

Seems you misunderstood about as much as possible, I had nothing to do
with
her problems coming back, it was all her.

Ah, did she have a conversation with God about it, too? And he sided
with you?

If God heals someone through faith, then the person that had faith claimed
he didn't do anything for them, they shouldn't be surprised that they lose
their healing.

What I was commenting about was this statement of yours:

"I brought this up to God that she claimed he never did nothing for
her, not long after that her gall bladder started bothering her again,
she had to have surgery, problems with wisdom teeth came back and she
had to have dental work..."

I find that to be a remarkable thing. Also, pretty bizarre.

When you brought it up to God, did He thank you for reminding him? Had
it slipped his mind? Just what was your role in all this?

What Jesus said:
Mark 11:23 ...he (also works for she) shall have whatsoever he saith.

She said God did nothing for her, she got what she "saith".

She saith, "please get Roger away from me"?

I think she said that to the Land of Lincoln Legal Assistance. She had to
tell them lies to come up with a reason for wanting a divorce, but lying was
her native tongue, she spoke lies better than English.

She left me for a man that was a fun outgoing personality, also an
alcoholic, who later raped one of our daughters. The divorce, free legal
assistance, public aid, all the libtarded programs that helped her
successfully get a divorce produced kids that live on the system like their
mom does.

I'm not following this. It sounds pretty complicated.

Ah, I think Cliff lives in you!

Well, Cliff recognized mind-boggling claims.

Understanding the truths of God are hidden from the world but they are
revealed to God's children.

They made me a special offer on that, free balance transfers and 0%
interest for six months, but I never go for those deals.

If anyone obeys Christ's teachings to the best
of their understanding, he will send them the Holy Spirit that will teach
them.

Like an exchange student? Do you have to feed him, or doesn't he
actually eat anything?

John 14:
22 Then Judas (not Judas Iscariot) said, "But, Lord, why do you intend to
show yourself to us and not to the world?"

23 Jesus replied, "Anyone who loves me will obey my teaching. My Father will
love them, and we will come to them and make our home with them.

Aha! You can skip that last question.

24 Anyone
who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not
my own; they belong to the Father who sent me.

25 "All this I have spoken while still with you. 26 But the Advocate, the
Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things
and will remind you of everything I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with
you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not
let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.

I'll buy that. Be of good cheer, Roger.

--
Ed Huntress

RogerN

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 21:40:42 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

What I was commenting about was this statement of yours:

"I brought this up to God that she claimed he never did nothing for
her, not long after that her gall bladder started bothering her again,
she had to have surgery, problems with wisdom teeth came back and she
had to have dental work..."

I find that to be a remarkable thing. Also, pretty bizarre.

When you brought it up to God, did He thank you for reminding him? Had
it slipped his mind? Just what was your role in all this?

I don't think God needed reminding, it just came to me that according to the
principles of God's word on the way we receive things through faith, she was
forfeiting the healings she had. Evidently it works both ways, she was
healed by believing God did this for her, she lost most of the healings a
few years later, shortly after claiming God didn't do anything.

snip
--
Ed Huntress

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 2 Mar 2012 05:57:10 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

[...]

Deeply religious people, including you, tend to slip in and out of
metaphorical speech when you talk about religion. You probably know
just what you mean when you're talking about it; anyone else can only
guess.

Being familiar with that kind of discourse, I can only remark about
the ironies inherent in the back-and-forth. I don't know what you
mean. But I can't say it matters much to me, because, if I *did* know
what you're talking about, it wouldn't help.

So we'll let it go, with the mutual recognition that I have no clue
about what you mean. But it seems harmless from my perspective, and I
have no desire to actually argue about it. Ok?

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

snip

Deeply religious people, including you, tend to slip in and out of
metaphorical speech when you talk about religion. You probably know
just what you mean when you're talking about it; anyone else can only
guess.

Maybe I'm just used to you being well read up on subjects you comment on.

Being familiar with that kind of discourse, I can only remark about
the ironies inherent in the back-and-forth. I don't know what you
mean. But I can't say it matters much to me, because, if I *did* know
what you're talking about, it wouldn't help.

So we'll let it go, with the mutual recognition that I have no clue
about what you mean. But it seems harmless from my perspective, and I
have no desire to actually argue about it. Ok?

--
Ed Huntress

Ok, I'll try to explain.

Many Christian denominations have left the teachings of Jesus and the
Apostles and are more wrapped up in their traditions and religion.

Jesus said his followers would have power to do miracles like he did, and
even greater miracles...

John 14: 11 Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is
in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves. 12 Very
truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been
doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going
to the Father. 13 And I will do whatever you ask in my name, so that the
Father may be glorified in the Son. 14 You may ask me for anything in my
name, and I will do it.

All four gospels and the apostles taught that Jesus' followers would be able
to perform miracles but that kind of dedication and faith is sort of rare.

Jesus' followers he was speaking to were people that gave up their lives to
follow him, the real deals, not lazy Sunday Christians as most who claim to
be Christians are.

When someone has this kind of relationship with Jesus they trust him and
believe him, they ask for something that is in line with God's will and the
prayer gets answered. They believe based on Jesus' word, not by what they
feel or what they see.

Smith Wigglesworth was one such person to live like this, he was healed of
appendicitis and that was the beginning of his healing and miracle working
ministry. People don't have this miracle working ability within them
selves, they must be connected to Jesus who says He is the vine and we are
the branches. As Jesus said at the end of verse 14 "I will do it".

The kind of people that will be able to do these things will not love the
world or the things in the world, they will not love their life, they will
die to themselves and allow the life of Christ to live through them. Those
that have done this have achieved the results that Jesus promised. Notice
the big name preachers don't fit the mold, they have a couple of mansions on
earth, don't seem to care about storing their treasures in Heaven.

We've heard the claims of faith healers but what about the story of those
who have been healed? I have met this man who's mother was healed by faith:

"Though Jewish, Mother believed in Jesus. This is how she came to believe in
Him. In 1932 she was terminally ill. Father had taken her to doctors and
spent large sums of money, but her condition deteriorated. Finally a doctor
at the hospital told Father to take her home so she could die in her own
bed. This was the custom in Romania, so that people could come and see the
expiring person at home. As she lay dying in bed, Father came to a difficult
decision. He could let her perish in misery before his eyes or seek out a
man of God to pray for her healing. Though not believing in Jesus, he had
heard of people who believed. Some experienced miraculous healings.

Learning of a man who prayed for the sick, Father implored him to come. A
crowd gathered in the house to see Mother for the last time. No one had hope
except for Father. God's man arrived and first spoke to the people. He told
them of miracles God had performed. Then he went to Mother's bedside. She
was in the worst stage. She could not swallow anything solid. She would take
a sip of tea only now and then. The cancer had consumed her body, and
appeared as a massive, red breast ulcer. Everyone considered her as good as
dead.

As the man prayed, a light with the brightness of lightning began to shine
on this cancer-stricken sufferer. When this powerful light shone on her,
Mother sat straight up and began speaking in another language, worshipping
God as her Healer and Deliverer.

Father was horrified, thinking she had lost her mind. The man continued to
pray. She arose, getting out of bed without anyone's help. The moment Mother
stood on her feet, the gathered mass of disease was supernaturally severed
from her body and fell to the floor. There was utter chaos in the room.
Screams! Shouts! People had seen the bright light, and now this! Some rushed
to help Mother, while others ran out of the house in fear.

"Please leave her alone!" the man said. "God is healing her." Mother sank to
her knees, still speaking in the heavenly tongue. A fresh dress was brought
and put on her. Strength returned to her body. Her face was shining. She
could eat food again. The news of this extraordinary healing and recovery
exploded all over the community. Mother herself knew of twenty Jewish
families who became believers in Jesus as Messiah, for they had come to the
house to see her die and instead had seen the instant transformation with
their own eyes. Father also believed in Jesus as his personal Savior."

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 1 Mar 2012 21:40:42 -0600, wrote:

What I was commenting about was this statement of yours:

"I brought this up to God that she claimed he never did nothing for
her, not long after that her gall bladder started bothering her again,
she had to have surgery, problems with wisdom teeth came back and she
had to have dental work..."

I find that to be a remarkable thing. Also, pretty bizarre.

When you brought it up to God, did He thank you for reminding him? Had
it slipped his mind? Just what was your role in all this?

I don't think God needed reminding, it just came to me that according to the
principles of God's word

What principles are those? Where did they originate? How do you even
know there /is/ "God's word"?

on the way we receive things through faith, she was
forfeiting the healings she had. Evidently it works both ways, she was
healed by believing God did this for her, she lost most of the healings a
few years later, shortly after claiming God didn't do anything.

snip
--
Ed Huntress

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 4 Mar 2012 18:08:04 -0600, "RogerN" wrote:

[...]

Hmm. I guess I wasn't clear. Remember, I was brought up Catholic. I
had miracle stories coming out my ears.

The metaphor/concrete transitions I was talking about were, for
example, your description of talking with God; then I questioned what
you said; and then you came back with a response that the issue
actually was belief in Jesus.

I appreciate metaphorical thinking as well as concrete thinking, but
my way of thinking requires that I keep the two clear and separate. I
also recognize the fuzzy line between the two that most deeply
religious people engage in; I lived with it all through elementary
school. It was as perplexing, and as confusing, to me then as it is
now. FWIW, it's spiritualist thinking. I don't have it.

So that's why I say it wouldn't help if you were able to explain what
you mean. The flow between metaphor and conceteness, which is
essential to spiritualist thinking (Thomas Huxley identified it as
"gnosticism," which makes sense of his definition of "agnosticism,"
but that was a re-definition of the term and we won't go there), is
something I don't follow because the departure from concrete
experience, while you may flow in and out of it easily, requires, for
me, stop signs and identifiers about where you are when you switch
from one to the other.

OK? That's really all I can say about it. I can't make heads nor tails
of that kind of thinking.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"George Plimpton" wrote in message

On 3/2/2012 3:57 AM, RogerN wrote:
"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

snip
When you brought it up to God, did He thank you for reminding him? Had
it slipped his mind? Just what was your role in all this?

I don't think God needed reminding, it just came to me that according to
the
principles of God's word

What principles are those?

The ones I was referring to was the way a person receives things from God
through faith.

Mark 11:22 "Have faith in God," Jesus answered. 23 "Truly I tell you, if
anyone says to this mountain, 'Go, throw yourself into the sea,' and does
not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it
will be done for them. 24 Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in
prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. 25 And when
you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so
that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins."

Where did they originate?

From the beginning of the Bible, God's plans began to be revealed
immediately after Adam's fall through what God said to Adam and Eve, Moses,
Joshua, Abraham....

How do you even know there /is/ "God's word"?

The normal biblical way of knowing what was from God is that God put his
signature on it by performing supernatural miracles, signs, and wonders. It
is written that these supernatural happenings happened through Moses, the
Prophets, Jesus, and the disciples. They continue to happen for those who
receive them by faith. This is clouded by the fakes and phonies but I know
miracles still happen through first hand experience, multiple times.

Acts 2:22 "Fellow Israelites, listen to this: Jesus of Nazareth was a man
accredited by God to you by miracles, wonders and signs, which God did among
you through him, as you yourselves know."
Plus throughout the New Testament it was recorded that God confirmed his
word with signs and wonders.

RogerN