Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dispensing Toluene, anybody?........

I have a project that I need to use toluene to bond some rubber. I don't
want to use any kind of rubber cement, as the bond is in
mid-process--after the rubber is dried but before it is vulcanized--and
anything added may disrupt the final vulcanization of the rubber. -Plus,
the only cements that would work would be 'industrial' ones that have a
lot of toluene or xylene anyway (so they'd still be flammable/noxious)
and still might not work as well.

I can buy the toluene in a gallon can, but what I want is a smaller
container for use, and a way to apply it easily a few drops at a time.

For the smaller bottle, US plastics sells glass bottles with teflon lid
liners. Toluene seems to dissolve damn near every kind of plastic there
is eventually, but Teflon is one plastic that is resistant to damn near
everything. So far I have not found any info that Toluene will harm
teflon.... ? The can it comes in has a plastic liner made of,,,,
something?

The toluene comes in a metal can, FWIW. I know places to buy smaller
metal cans but they all have plastic linings, and I dunno which to get
for this.

There are also one-piece stainless-steel cans around too I guess, which
might work too. I'd just have to find one that had a screw-on stainless
lid,,,, and a liner made of ,,, what? teflon?

For the applicator, I am thinking of just using a piece of glass lab
tubing as a manual dropper. This would allow avoiding contaminating the
jar. I'd like to find a plastic/rubber-bulb dropper that would hold
maybe 2cc's at a time, but so far all I have found has not been suitable
for this use. Any ideas?

Also note: being just a Regular Guy, I can't buy anything from anywhere
that requires a corporate account.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DougC fired this volley in news:uG8Gq.14192
:

This would allow avoiding contaminating the
jar. I'd like to find a plastic/rubber-bulb dropper that would hold
maybe 2cc's at a time, but so far all I have found has not been suitable
for this use. Any ideas?

To my knowlege, toluene will not attack virgin polyethylene.

There are numerous "disposable" laboratory eye droppers made from blow-
molded PE.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Dec 14, 2:37*pm, DougC wrote:
[...]

Polyethylene is pretty inert, look for a wash bottle or dropper
bottle, one trade name is Nalgene. If you're going to have toluene
around regularly, you need a safety can and a flammables locker. I
just store all those kinds of solvents outside in a hut well away from
the house. You DO know the stuff will do a number on your liver, if
you're regularly exposed, right? See what www.sciencecompany.com has,
they're local and retail. Have dropper bottles, glass and plastic as
well as other lab gear. I've gotten labware from them to mix up small
quantities of two-part paint for airbrushing gun stuff. That stuff's
a lot more aggressive than just toluene.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 15:37:29 -0600, DougC
wrote:

[...]

Try he
http://www.nalgenunc.com/techdata/chemical/

Looks like teflon is okay (30 days at 50°C), but it attacks many other
kinds of plastics.

Also note: being just a Regular Guy, I can't buy anything from anywhere
that requires a corporate account.

How did you get ahold of gallons of toluene then? ;-)
Reagent grade is sold in glass bottles, dunno what they use for the
caps, maybe thermoset plastic of some kind with a teflon seal.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/14/2011 4:12 PM, Stanley Schaefer wrote:

... You DO know the stuff will do a number on your liver, if
you're regularly exposed, right?....

Stan

Yea, I am aware of that.
I don't need to use much at once (literally only 5-6 drops probably) and
I won't need it often.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DougC" wrote in message
... For the applicator, I am thinking of just using a piece of glass lab
tubing as a manual dropper. This would allow avoiding contaminating the
jar. I'd like to find a plastic/rubber-bulb dropper that would hold maybe
2cc's at a time, but so far all I have found has not been suitable for this
use. Any ideas?...

This reads like a salesman wrote it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipette

From the chemist's perspective, draw down a glass tube like the end of an
eyedropper, break it off and flame-smooth the end. Dip the tube in the
liquid to fill it and put your finger over the end to hold it in. Tilt your
finger slightly to let air in and drops out. It isn't difficult but does
take practice for fine control. Volatile liquids like toluene will dribble
out from the hand-warmed expansion of their vapor.

In 1965 I had a factory job stirring urethane resin into an open drum of
toluene and running nylon webbing through the solution and onto a drying
reel over it. I learned to hold a deep breath for about two minutes of work,
then stick my head outside and hyperventilate. I also learned that I don't
get high.

Toluene is a component of enamel paint thinner/reducer, and not much
different from gasoline on plastics. I've bought high-test gas that smelled
like toluene.
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=41617

jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have had a couple of these for years (Hunter branded) and the pumps (and
top sections) are all metal. If a glass jar could be found with the correct
thread, these are very convenient for liquids that don't thicken.
As the top is pushed down, a small amount of liquid is pumped up to the
shallow dish-shaped top.
The convenience is not needing to open a capped container for each use,
while keeping the solvent capped.
http://www.labsafety.com/menda-autom...sers_24532129/

I dunno if HDPE is toluene-proof.

--
WB

"DougC" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/14/2011 4:45 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Try he
http://www.nalgenunc.com/techdata/chemical/

Looks like teflon is okay (30 days at 50°C), but it attacks many other
kinds of plastics.

I am aware of nalgene bottles and lab equipment, but places with info on
its applications mainly talk about autoclave and chemical resistance
used in medical/biological processes and toluene doesn't seem to be real
common in them.

Also note: being just a Regular Guy, I can't buy anything from anywhere
that requires a corporate account.

How did you get ahold of gallons of toluene then? ;-)

Some paint stores still sell it in the US. Sherwin-Williams and Ace
Hardware are two sources mentioned online. I got it at S-W because they
were closest. I did not check at Ace.

I asked for the smallest quantity they could get, and a gallon was about
$27. They kinda looked at me funny but when I mentioned latex rubber
casting, but I suppose that made some sense.

I would have much rather just bought a quart, but oh well. I'm just
happy I could still get any at all.

Most chemical retailers in the USA normally won't sell to individuals at
all now, due to liability--they only sell to schools and corporate
accounts.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

technomaNge wrote:

On 12/14/2011 03:37 PM, DougC wrote:
I have a project that I need to use toluene to bond some rubber. I don't
want to use any kind of rubber cement, as the bond is in...

For the applicator, I am thinking of just using a piece of glass lab
tubing as a manual dropper. This would allow avoiding contaminating the
jar. I'd like to find a plastic/rubber-bulb dropper that would hold
maybe 2cc's at a time, but so far all I have found has not been suitable
for this use. Any ideas?

Know anyone that injects (legal) medicines at home?
Grab a used hyperdermic syringe, clean it, test it
for toluene tolerance.

Does he know anyone who uses Insulin?

If it don't melt/dissolve, you are home free.

technomaNge

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-15, Wild_Bill wrote:
Forgot to mench.. glass eye droppers (which was a fairly common term, but
fading) are rapidly becoming replaced with plastics.

I was on a quest to find some recently, and got a number of dumb looks, or
shown plastic versions even though I asked about glass droppers.

Finally spotted some of Rite Aid brand, 2-pack with a straight and an angled
tip.. and made in the USA.
The removable bulb part isn't rubber, some rubbery vinyl instead, but not
melted by lacquer thinner, at least.

I prefer glass, which is easy to clean, and indicates when it's not. Common
ear swabs are a decent bore brush.

If that source dries up -- do you remember chem lab in high
school or college? Get some glass tubing, a small triangular file, and
set up a propane torch (since you are not likely to have a Bunsen
burner, and you can flare one end to fit the bulb, and draw down the
diameter to make the small spout end -- to whatever size you really
want.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 14 Dec 2011 17:08:44 -0600, DougC wrote:

On 12/14/2011 4:12 PM, Stanley Schaefer wrote:

... You DO know the stuff will do a number on your liver, if you're
regularly exposed, right?....

Yea, I am aware of that.
I don't need to use much at once (literally only 5-6 drops probably) and
I won't need it often.

As others have mentioned, pipettes are easy to make from glass or
plastic tubing. However, they also are inexpensive on ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-Extended-Fine-Tip-Pippet-Pipet-1-0ml-50-drops-/170747397034?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27c156 83aa
Item number: 170747397034

The above are polyethylene, which is ok in toluene at room temperature
but gets more soluble as temperature rises above 60C (140F). A lot of
glass pipettes are available on ebay also. They cost several times
more (eg 10 cents to a dollar each instead of 3 cents to 10 cents)
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Disposables-/26414/i.html?_nkw=pipette*&_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%25 3A2%257C39%253A1%257C72%253A5833&rt=nc&_trksid=p32 86.c0.m14.l1581&_pgn=2

--
jiw
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DougC" wrote in message
[...]

Without reading all the replies....

Get anything in nalgene, most scientific sellers would sell in 1s or 2s.

http://www.scientificlabs.co.uk/product/BOT8856

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 12/15/2011 1:47 AM, Dennis wrote:

Without reading all the replies....

Get anything in nalgene, most scientific sellers would sell in 1s or 2s.

http://www.scientificlabs.co.uk/product/BOT8856

Nope.

It would have to be flourinated nalgene-
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...3477&catid=651

and even then it is only good for temporary storage (shows damage after
only seven days at 50C)
nalgenecontainers.nuncbrand.com/PDF/Chemical%20Resistance%20Chart%20Detail.pdf

Looks like only glass or metal here, with a teflon lid liner.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Or this? http://goo.gl/Sl0gB

--
Silence is more musical than any song.
-- Christina Rossetti
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

On 12/15/2011 1:47 AM, Dennis wrote:

Without reading all the replies....

Get anything in nalgene, most scientific sellers would sell in 1s or 2s.

http://www.scientificlabs.co.uk/product/BOT8856

Nope.

It would have to be flourinated nalgene-
http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...3477&catid=651

and even then it is only good for temporary storage (shows damage after
only seven days at 50C)
nalgenecontainers.nuncbrand.com/PDF/Chemical%20Resistance%20Chart%20Detail.pdf

Looks like only glass or metal here, with a teflon lid liner.

Uh, guys, Nalgene is a manufacturer, not a substance. You need to
specify the material to get the right bottle. You can get Nalgene
bottles made from Lexan, Teflon, or any of several other materials. If
you call them and tell them what you want to store, they should be able
to tell you what material to use. Their Teflon bottles should do fine,
but they aren't cheap.