Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DougC DougC is offline

Default Dispensing Toluene, anybody?........

On 12/14/2011 4:45 PM, Spehro Pefhany wrote:

Try he
http://www.nalgenunc.com/techdata/chemical/

Looks like teflon is okay (30 days at 50°C), but it attacks many other
kinds of plastics.

I am aware of nalgene bottles and lab equipment, but places with info on
its applications mainly talk about autoclave and chemical resistance
used in medical/biological processes and toluene doesn't seem to be real
common in them.

Also note: being just a Regular Guy, I can't buy anything from anywhere
that requires a corporate account.

How did you get ahold of gallons of toluene then? ;-)

Some paint stores still sell it in the US. Sherwin-Williams and Ace
Hardware are two sources mentioned online. I got it at S-W because they
were closest. I did not check at Ace.

I asked for the smallest quantity they could get, and a gallon was about
$27. They kinda looked at me funny but when I mentioned latex rubber
casting, but I suppose that made some sense.

I would have much rather just bought a quart, but oh well. I'm just
happy I could still get any at all.

Most chemical retailers in the USA normally won't sell to individuals at
all now, due to liability--they only sell to schools and corporate
accounts.