Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Dispensing Toluene, anybody?........

I have had a couple of these for years (Hunter branded) and the pumps (and
top sections) are all metal. If a glass jar could be found with the correct
thread, these are very convenient for liquids that don't thicken.
As the top is pushed down, a small amount of liquid is pumped up to the
shallow dish-shaped top.
The convenience is not needing to open a capped container for each use,
while keeping the solvent capped.
http://www.labsafety.com/menda-autom...sers_24532129/

I dunno if HDPE is toluene-proof.

--
WB

"DougC" wrote in message
I have a project that I need to use toluene to bond some rubber. I don't
want to use any kind of rubber cement, as the bond is in mid-process--after
the rubber is dried but before it is vulcanized--and anything added may
disrupt the final vulcanization of the rubber. -Plus, the only cements that
would work would be 'industrial' ones that have a lot of toluene or xylene
anyway (so they'd still be flammable/noxious) and still might not work as
well.

I can buy the toluene in a gallon can, but what I want is a smaller
container for use, and a way to apply it easily a few drops at a time.

For the smaller bottle, US plastics sells glass bottles with teflon lid
liners. Toluene seems to dissolve damn near every kind of plastic there is
eventually, but Teflon is one plastic that is resistant to damn near
everything. So far I have not found any info that Toluene will harm
teflon.... ? The can it comes in has a plastic liner made of,,,,
something?

The toluene comes in a metal can, FWIW. I know places to buy smaller metal
cans but they all have plastic linings, and I dunno which to get for this.

There are also one-piece stainless-steel cans around too I guess, which
might work too. I'd just have to find one that had a screw-on stainless
lid,,,, and a liner made of ,,, what? teflon?

For the applicator, I am thinking of just using a piece of glass lab
tubing as a manual dropper. This would allow avoiding contaminating the
jar. I'd like to find a plastic/rubber-bulb dropper that would hold maybe
2cc's at a time, but so far all I have found has not been suitable for
this use. Any ideas?

Also note: being just a Regular Guy, I can't buy anything from anywhere
that requires a corporate account.