Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Dispensing Toluene, anybody?........

"DougC" wrote in message
... For the applicator, I am thinking of just using a piece of glass lab
tubing as a manual dropper. This would allow avoiding contaminating the
jar. I'd like to find a plastic/rubber-bulb dropper that would hold maybe
2cc's at a time, but so far all I have found has not been suitable for this
use. Any ideas?...

This reads like a salesman wrote it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pipette

From the chemist's perspective, draw down a glass tube like the end of an
eyedropper, break it off and flame-smooth the end. Dip the tube in the
liquid to fill it and put your finger over the end to hold it in. Tilt your
finger slightly to let air in and drops out. It isn't difficult but does
take practice for fine control. Volatile liquids like toluene will dribble
out from the hand-warmed expansion of their vapor.

In 1965 I had a factory job stirring urethane resin into an open drum of
toluene and running nylon webbing through the solution and onto a drying
reel over it. I learned to hold a deep breath for about two minutes of work,
then stick my head outside and hyperventilate. I also learned that I don't
get high.

Toluene is a component of enamel paint thinner/reducer, and not much
different from gasoline on plastics. I've bought high-test gas that smelled
like toluene.
http://www.eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=41617

jsw