Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What to use for bandsaw, water based or oil based fluid

Subject says it all. For this Wilton 3410, should I use straight
cutting oil, or water based?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:36:46 -0600, Ignoramus16340
wrote:

Subject says it all. For this Wilton 3410, should I use straight
cutting oil, or water based?

Both are used commercially. And for shape-sawing with vertical saws,
wax-stick lubricant is the choice of many people. That's what we used
in our job shop in Princeton. We used water-miscible coolant in a
flood on our horizontal cutoff saw (a big one).

Wax lubricants solve the mess problem and allow the use of a
high-pressure lubricant, which in preferred for band sawing where you
don't have a power feed to control feedrate. If you're hand-feeding,
it's the way to go. Check Lenox and DoALL for wax-stick lubricants.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-10, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:36:46 -0600, Ignoramus16340
wrote:

Subject says it all. For this Wilton 3410, should I use straight
cutting oil, or water based?

Both are used commercially. And for shape-sawing with vertical saws,
wax-stick lubricant is the choice of many people. That's what we used
in our job shop in Princeton. We used water-miscible coolant in a
flood on our horizontal cutoff saw (a big one).

Wax lubricants solve the mess problem and allow the use of a
high-pressure lubricant, which in preferred for band sawing where you
don't have a power feed to control feedrate. If you're hand-feeding,
it's the way to go. Check Lenox and DoALL for wax-stick lubricants.

Well, this is a horizontal bandsaw, I just wanted to know what coolant
to use. Thanks
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-10, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:36:46 -0600, Ignoramus16340
wrote:

Subject says it all. For this Wilton 3410, should I use straight
cutting oil, or water based?

Both are used commercially. And for shape-sawing with vertical saws,
wax-stick lubricant is the choice of many people. That's what we used
in our job shop in Princeton. We used water-miscible coolant in a
flood on our horizontal cutoff saw (a big one).

Wax lubricants solve the mess problem and allow the use of a
high-pressure lubricant, which in preferred for band sawing where you
don't have a power feed to control feedrate. If you're hand-feeding,
it's the way to go. Check Lenox and DoALL for wax-stick lubricants.

Well, this is a horizontal bandsaw, I just wanted to know what coolant
to use. Thanks

If it has roller guides the water soluble is probably okay as long as you
run a rich mix and neutral ph / soft water hardness but if it has solid
carbide or hardened steel guides then within a couple years you'll prabably
be wishing that you had used straight oil instead.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-10, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:36:46 -0600, Ignoramus16340
wrote:

Subject says it all. For this Wilton 3410, should I use straight
[...]

It would seem, then, that straight oil is better all around, right?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-10, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:36:46 -0600, Ignoramus16340
wrote:

Subject says it all. For this Wilton 3410, should I use straight
[...]

Oil will make a mess for hobbyist type work, your level of use.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-12-10, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:36:46 -0600, Ignoramus16340
wrote:

Subject says it all. For this Wilton 3410, should I use straight
[...]

Well, it is at my warehouse, I would use it to cut stuff like scrap
and junk pieces etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,

On 2011-12-10,

On 2011-12-10, PrecisionmachinisT

On 2011-12-10, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:36:46 -0600, Ignoramus16340
wrote:

Subject says it all. For this Wilton 3410, should I use straight
[...]

Clean and paint the floor, so the oil won't soak in. Put some sand in
the paint, so it won't be slippery when oily.

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,

On 2011-12-10,

On 2011-12-10, PrecisionmachinisT

On 2011-12-10, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:36:46 -0600, Ignoramus16340
wrote:

Subject says it all. For this Wilton 3410, should I use straight
[...]

Go to Depot or Lowe's and get one of the overflow drain pans designed to
go under a washing machine and plumbed to a drain (used for upstairs
laundry rooms). The pan is about 32" square by perhaps 3" deep, put a
bit of oil absorbent in it and put it under the saw to catch anything
that gets past the saw's catch pan.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 23:01:41 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:36:46 -0600, Ignoramus16340

Both are used commercially. And for shape-sawing with vertical saws,
wax-stick lubricant is the choice of many people.

Ed, how do you apply the wax lubricant? I tried holding it on the
side of the blade prior to cutting, but I can't say I saw it do too
much. It just seemed to turn to powder.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:36:46 -0600, Ignoramus16340

Both are used commercially. And for shape-sawing with vertical saws,
wax-stick lubricant is the choice of many people.

Ed, how do you apply the wax lubricant? I tried holding it on the
side of the blade prior to cutting, but I can't say I saw it do too
much. It just seemed to turn to powder.

RWL

It doesn't last long, especially when you're cutting steel. You have
to keep applying it to the side(s) of the blade periodically. Cutting
aluminum, I just "paint" a streak of it on the workpiece where I'm
going to cut, but it can cover up your scribe lines.

Maybe you want to try another brand. I have some Castrol brand and I
used DoALL in years past. Neither one seems to turn to powder. BTW,
they make formulations for cutting wood, too, and it's really good for
ripping and resawing.

BTW, it also helps keep chips from sticking to the saw tires. At
least, they don't stick as much.

--
Ed Huntress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 23:25:32 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

Maybe you want to try another brand. I have some Castrol brand and I
used DoALL in years past. Neither one seems to turn to powder. BTW,
they make formulations for cutting wood, too, and it's really good for
ripping and resawing.

The tubes I have are Tapmatic Edgelube. It would be interesting to
try a different brand. I think I bought mine from MSC many years ago
when it was still Manhatten Supply Co.

RWL

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I spent a couple of unpleasant hours today at my place of business,
working on the lubrication system for this Wilton bandsaw.

I found out why it did not work: while the saw is wired for 115 volts,
the lubrication pump was wired for 220 volts in the junction box on
the motor. Once I changed that, it started pumping.

The old coolant in the pump was bad and had to be sucked and flushed.

Tomorrow, I will put in a mix of 10:1 Hangsterfer's S500 coolant, which
seems to have a much better life expectancy.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 11 Dec 2011 21:22:11 -0600, Ignoramus8962
wrote:

I spent a couple of unpleasant hours today at my place of business,
working on the lubrication system for this Wilton bandsaw.

I found out why it did not work: while the saw is wired for 115 volts,
the lubrication pump was wired for 220 volts in the junction box on
the motor. Once I changed that, it started pumping.

The old coolant in the pump was bad and had to be sucked and flushed.

Tomorrow, I will put in a mix of 10:1 Hangsterfer's S500 coolant, which
seems to have a much better life expectancy.

Good stuff.

Gunner

Gunner Asch