Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus16340 Ignoramus16340 is offline

Default What to use for bandsaw, water based or oil based fluid

On 2011-12-10, wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 04:05:54 -0600, Ignoramus16340

On 2011-12-10, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:36:46 -0600, Ignoramus16340
wrote:

Subject says it all. For this Wilton 3410, should I use straight
cutting oil, or water based?

Both are used commercially. And for shape-sawing with vertical saws,
wax-stick lubricant is the choice of many people. That's what we used
in our job shop in Princeton. We used water-miscible coolant in a
flood on our horizontal cutoff saw (a big one).

Wax lubricants solve the mess problem and allow the use of a
high-pressure lubricant, which in preferred for band sawing where you
don't have a power feed to control feedrate. If you're hand-feeding,
it's the way to go. Check Lenox and DoALL for wax-stick lubricants.

Well, this is a horizontal bandsaw, I just wanted to know what coolant
to use. Thanks

If it has roller guides the water soluble is probably okay as long as you
run a rich mix and neutral ph / soft water hardness but if it has solid
carbide or hardened steel guides then within a couple years you'll prabably
be wishing that you had used straight oil instead.

It would seem, then, that straight oil is better all around, right?

Oil will make a mess for hobbyist type work, your level of use.

Karl

Well, it is at my warehouse, I would use it to cut stuff like scrap
and junk pieces etc.