Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default What to use for bandsaw, water based or oil based fluid

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 21:57:56 -0500, GeoLane at PTD dot NET GeoLane at
PTD dot NET wrote:

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 23:01:41 -0500, Ed Huntress
wrote:

On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:36:46 -0600, Ignoramus16340

Both are used commercially. And for shape-sawing with vertical saws,
wax-stick lubricant is the choice of many people.

Ed, how do you apply the wax lubricant? I tried holding it on the
side of the blade prior to cutting, but I can't say I saw it do too
much. It just seemed to turn to powder.

RWL

It doesn't last long, especially when you're cutting steel. You have
to keep applying it to the side(s) of the blade periodically. Cutting
aluminum, I just "paint" a streak of it on the workpiece where I'm
going to cut, but it can cover up your scribe lines.

Maybe you want to try another brand. I have some Castrol brand and I
used DoALL in years past. Neither one seems to turn to powder. BTW,
they make formulations for cutting wood, too, and it's really good for
ripping and resawing.

BTW, it also helps keep chips from sticking to the saw tires. At
least, they don't stick as much.

--
Ed Huntress