Default solvent-based varnish on top of water-based?

Is there any reason why you can't put solvent-based varnish on top of
water-based?

We have just put the first coat of varnish on stripped boards on the
ground floor of our house.

We are a bit concerned after the first coat that the 'colour' of the
clear varnish is not going to even out the difference between the
original boards and the replacement new ones which have been stained to
match them. The varnish is a clear gloss Ronseal water-based one.

A few months back we stripped and varnished boards on the top floor of
the house. Where there were new boards fitted we stained them and they
matched well after varnishing. The varnish was a clear Wickes
solvent-based one and its 'colour' seemed to even out the differences
between old and new stained boards.

Having seen the result after one coat, we are wondering if we could do
3 coats with the Ronseal water-based stuff and then put a coat of the
same Wickes solvent-based stuff on top, simply for the colour, as we
know it is good for that.

Is there any reason why you can't put solvent-based varnish on top of
water-based?

TIA

Antony

Mike Halmarack

On 4 Jul 2005 14:01:18 -0700, wrote:

[...]

Where large areas of board are concerned i've always found that
staining is more even and controllable when done after varnishing. The
problem is that in areas of slight to moderate wear, if the varnish
flakes off,so does the colour and it can look quite a mess.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.
Dave Plowman (News)

In article .com,
wrote:
We are a bit concerned after the first coat that the 'colour' of the
clear varnish is not going to even out the difference between the
original boards and the replacement new ones which have been stained to
match them. The varnish is a clear gloss Ronseal water-based one.

A few months back we stripped and varnished boards on the top floor of
the house. Where there were new boards fitted we stained them and they
matched well after varnishing. The varnish was a clear Wickes
solvent-based one and its 'colour' seemed to even out the differences
between old and new stained boards.

Yes - ordinary oil based varnish stains a bit as well. Water based doesn't.

Having seen the result after one coat, we are wondering if we could do
3 coats with the Ronseal water-based stuff and then put a coat of the
same Wickes solvent-based stuff on top, simply for the colour, as we
know it is good for that.

I found it didn't quite give the right colour. Perhaps because the oil
based varnish doesn't soak in to the wood?

Is there any reason why you can't put solvent-based varnish on top of
water-based?

--
*Do paediatricians play miniature golf on Wednesdays?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Problem solved. We put a coat of the (satin - only type you can get, i
think) Ronseal 'antique pine' coloured varnish on top of the first two
layers. We'll finish off by putting gloss on top of that

ta

Antony

need hot water FAST PV Home Repair 38 January 30th 04 01:15 AM
Thankless or Tankless hot water heaters [email protected] Home Repair 6 January 29th 04 03:01 AM
Flushing / Cleaning Hot Water Heater Help Needed Cuse Home Repair 38 December 1st 03 02:01 AM
Why is this a bad idea? Mike Hibbert UK diy 18 August 28th 03 11:59 PM