Mike Halmarack

On 4 Jul 2005 14:01:18 -0700, wrote:

Is there any reason why you can't put solvent-based varnish on top of
water-based?

We have just put the first coat of varnish on stripped boards on the
ground floor of our house.

We are a bit concerned after the first coat that the 'colour' of the
clear varnish is not going to even out the difference between the
original boards and the replacement new ones which have been stained to
match them. The varnish is a clear gloss Ronseal water-based one.

A few months back we stripped and varnished boards on the top floor of
the house. Where there were new boards fitted we stained them and they
matched well after varnishing. The varnish was a clear Wickes
solvent-based one and its 'colour' seemed to even out the differences
between old and new stained boards.

Having seen the result after one coat, we are wondering if we could do
3 coats with the Ronseal water-based stuff and then put a coat of the
same Wickes solvent-based stuff on top, simply for the colour, as we
know it is good for that.

Is there any reason why you can't put solvent-based varnish on top of
water-based?

TIA

Antony

Where large areas of board are concerned i've always found that
staining is more even and controllable when done after varnishing. The
problem is that in areas of slight to moderate wear, if the varnish
flakes off,so does the colour and it can look quite a mess.
--
Regards,
Mike Halmarack

Drop the EGG to email me.