Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default What to use for bandsaw, water based or oil based fluid

Joseph Gwinn wrote:

In article ,

On 2011-12-10,
wrote:
On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 04:05:54 -0600, Ignoramus16340

On 2011-12-10, PrecisionmachinisT

On 2011-12-10, Ed Huntress wrote:
On Fri, 09 Dec 2011 21:36:46 -0600, Ignoramus16340
wrote:

Subject says it all. For this Wilton 3410, should I use straight
cutting oil, or water based?

Both are used commercially. And for shape-sawing with vertical saws,
wax-stick lubricant is the choice of many people. That's what we used
in our job shop in Princeton. We used water-miscible coolant in a
flood on our horizontal cutoff saw (a big one).

Wax lubricants solve the mess problem and allow the use of a
high-pressure lubricant, which in preferred for band sawing where you
don't have a power feed to control feedrate. If you're hand-feeding,
it's the way to go. Check Lenox and DoALL for wax-stick lubricants.

Well, this is a horizontal bandsaw, I just wanted to know what coolant
to use. Thanks

If it has roller guides the water soluble is probably okay as long as you
run a rich mix and neutral ph / soft water hardness but if it has solid
carbide or hardened steel guides then within a couple years you'll
prabably
be wishing that you had used straight oil instead.

It would seem, then, that straight oil is better all around, right?

Oil will make a mess for hobbyist type work, your level of use.

Karl

Well, it is at my warehouse, I would use it to cut stuff like scrap
and junk pieces etc.

Clean and paint the floor, so the oil won't soak in. Put some sand in
the paint, so it won't be slippery when oily.

Joe Gwinn

Go to Depot or Lowe's and get one of the overflow drain pans designed to
go under a washing machine and plumbed to a drain (used for upstairs
laundry rooms). The pan is about 32" square by perhaps 3" deep, put a
bit of oil absorbent in it and put it under the saw to catch anything
that gets past the saw's catch pan.