Posted to alt.home.repair
Bryan

Default Redwood Deck Staining: Oil Based or Water Based

Home Depot sold my wife some oil based clear stain for our new redwood deck.
They told her that oil based wouldn't be available any longer and we should
get one coat of oil based on before we're stuck with water based.

Is oil based being outlawed?

What's the first thing I should do for my new redwood deck?

Should I treat my brand new redwood deck with oil based or water based
stain?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Bryan" wrote in message
. net...
Home Depot sold my wife some oil based clear stain for our new redwood
deck. They told her that oil based wouldn't be available any longer and we
should get one coat of oil based on before we're stuck with water based.

Is oil based being outlawed?

What's the first thing I should do for my new redwood deck?

Should I treat my brand new redwood deck with oil based or water based
stain?

Oil is being phased out to keep the air cleaner and prevent cancer in
Kalifornya.

I'd use Penofin oil. So far, it has kept the woods I have in good shape and
has so far prevented it from graying because it has UV inhibitors.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Shopdog

I don't know why someone told you oil stain will no longer be available, I
haven't heard that, Maybe going up in price considerably because of the high
cost of petroleum. In fact just today I bought some Cabot Austrailian timber
oil stain, cost 30 bucks a gal though.

I like the oil stains, I haven't tried water based stains yet, how good
can that work? What if it were to rain before it dried? Would it wash away,
oil wouldn't!

Searcher

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"Shopdog" wrote in message
I don't know why someone told you oil stain will no longer be available, I
haven't heard that,

OK, now you have. It is being phased out. Some stores cannot even get oil
based paints, others in the same area can. I don't know the details, (or
the timetable) but the areas with higher smog conditions are affected first.

Posted to alt.home.repair
m Ransley

Use oil it will last longer, Cabots is good. If you are in a state where
it is being outlawed, buy extra.

Salt content of softened water Steve B Home Repair 26 January 25th 06 04:06 AM
The #1 rated home water filter in America Aquasana AQ-4000 nitin Home Repair 3 December 13th 05 02:31 PM
The #1 rated home water filter in America Aquasana AQ-4000 nitin Home Ownership 0 December 13th 05 08:44 AM
Heat banks (again!) Dave UK diy 148 September 6th 04 08:45 PM
Water or oil based deck stain Brian Home Repair 3 July 3rd 03 04:24 AM