Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Free Agent?

So far I've just been killing threads that had any kinds of alt. or
politics cross posing in them,

There are simply too many loons starting too many new threads every day
to keep up any more.

They seem to think it's perfectly ok to cross post to non related groups
and aren't going to quit any time soon.

I thought I would try Free Agent and see what it's like, but the Free
part seems to have disappeared. Agent 6 looks to be a "trial" run for
30 days only.

What would be a good free reader that provides newsgroup filtering that
works? Tbird 6.0 absolutely sucks.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/10/2011 08:02 PM, Richard wrote:

I thought I would try Free Agent and see what it's like, but the Free
part seems to have disappeared. Agent 6 looks to be a "trial" run for
30 days only.

You must improve your Googlefu, young padawan.

Look: http://www.webmasterfree.com/forte_free_agent

True, it is an older version, but it is FREE!!!!!.

technomaNge
--
Psalm 109:8

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Agent is one of the few programs I didn't mind actually paying for. My
kill file is 400+ long by now, culls about 25-30% of RCM. I have them
all set globally, and they cull a similar amount from non-related
groups like SER.
JR
Dweller in the cellar

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 20:02:20 -0500, Richard
wrote:

So far I've just been killing threads that had any kinds of alt. or
politics cross posing in them,

There are simply too many loons starting too many new threads every day
to keep up any more.

They seem to think it's perfectly ok to cross post to non related groups
and aren't going to quit any time soon.

I thought I would try Free Agent and see what it's like, but the Free
part seems to have disappeared. Agent 6 looks to be a "trial" run for
30 days only.

What would be a good free reader that provides newsgroup filtering that
works? Tbird 6.0 absolutely sucks.

HOME PAGE:
http://www.seanet.com/~jasonrnorth
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 10 Oct 2011 20:02:20 -0500, Richard wrote:

What would be a good free reader that provides newsgroup filtering that
works? Tbird 6.0 absolutely sucks.

For text groups only, I like 40tude dialog.
http://dialog.datalist.org/
Dialog is an older windows app, with powerful filtering abilities
compareed to most (more modern) news readers; including regex and custom
scripting -- if you want to take things that far (expect a steep
learning curve to employ regex, and custom scripts).

Sadly it is no longer supported by the author, but it runs well on XP.
Under 7 (64-bit) I see some quirkiness with the GUI, but I'm able to
work around it with minimal effort. Support is mostly user to user, on
news.software.readers. If you read/write German there is an active group
de.comm.software.40tude-dialog.

Hope it helps.
Bill

--
Email address is a Spam trap.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/10/2011 6:02 PM, Richard wrote:
So far I've just been killing threads that had any kinds of alt. or
politics cross posing in them,

There are simply too many loons starting too many new threads every day
to keep up any more.

They seem to think it's perfectly ok to cross post to non related groups
and aren't going to quit any time soon.

I thought I would try Free Agent and see what it's like, but the Free
part seems to have disappeared. Agent 6 looks to be a "trial" run for
30 days only.

What would be a good free reader that provides newsgroup filtering that
works? Tbird 6.0 absolutely sucks.

FWIW, I'm having pretty good luck using thunderbird - you can make a
custom entry into the filter for "newgroups", and then just discard the
ones with the flame NGs and almost all the screaming nonsense goes away.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So far I've just been killing threads that had any kinds of alt. or
politics cross posing in them,

There are simply too many loons starting too many new threads every day
to keep up any more.

They seem to think it's perfectly ok to cross post to non related groups
and aren't going to quit any time soon.

I thought I would try Free Agent and see what it's like, but the Free
part seems to have disappeared. Agent 6 looks to be a "trial" run for
30 days only.

What would be a good free reader that provides newsgroup filtering that
works? Tbird 6.0 absolutely sucks.

Suck it up and get out a credit card. Agent works like a Timex -
Takes a Lickin' and Keeps On Tickin'.

The same people who complained that they weren't going to buy Agent
1.0 because they wouldn't be around long to support it, and it would
never get updated and upgraded...

Are the same people still bitching about "the Cost!!" trying to save
the $30 for a full copy, or $5 -10 - 15 for an upgrade. Gawdddd. _

They "break" Usenet with new features like encryptions and newer
formats and compressions, Agent has an upgrade out before it goes
live. Same thing with the changes they've made in Binaries. You have
a Support problem, they're right there.

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I've been almost completely happy with Free Agent, then Agent, since
version 0.96 over a decade ago. The only missing piece of tech I'd
like is to be able to kill by person. If a troll's name was in the
text of a message (or quoted by some idiot) I'd like to kill it before
download. They still don't do text searches. DRAT!

Other than that, Agent is perfect.

--
Never trouble another for what you can do for yourself.
-- Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So far I've just been killing threads that had any kinds of alt. or
politics cross posing in them,

There are simply too many loons starting too many new threads every day
to keep up any more.

They seem to think it's perfectly ok to cross post to non related groups
and aren't going to quit any time soon.

I thought I would try Free Agent and see what it's like, but the Free
part seems to have disappeared. Agent 6 looks to be a "trial" run for
30 days only.

What would be a good free reader that provides newsgroup filtering that
works? Tbird 6.0 absolutely sucks.

Agent 1.94 or 1.93

Look for it on the pirate groups.

Works just hunky

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

That's the same version that Master TechnomaNge linked to.

They say it runs Win2k, Win9x, WinNT, WinME, but don't mention XP.

What OS are you running, guns?

XP and it should be noted..I also run it under Wine on Linux very
nicely.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 11 Oct 2011 11:29:49 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 10/10/2011 8:52 PM, technomaNge wrote:
On 10/10/2011 08:02 PM, Richard wrote:

I thought I would try Free Agent and see what it's like, but the Free
part seems to have disappeared. Agent 6 looks to be a "trial" run for
30 days only.

You must improve your Googlefu, young padawan.

Look: http://www.webmasterfree.com/forte_free_agent

True, it is an older version, but it is FREE!!!!!.

technomaNge

But Master, the link redirects to...
http://www.forteinc.com/agent/download.php
???

Nearly all such links will take you to a current version of Agent. Which
is nice..but bulky, has far more bells and whistles than one needs...or
wants

http://filesharingtalk.com/threads/1...rte-Agent-1.93

Gives one some idea of how to go about it....though the link to Fortes
website no longer has the program. Pay attention to the serial number
posting....ahumm

No idea if this is a valid link...if something downloads...run a virus
checker on it before loading it...

http://surfboardwebsites.com/fload/s...0agent%201.93#

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 10, 7:02*pm, Richard wrote:
So far I've just been killing threads that had any kinds of alt. or
politics cross posing in them,

There are simply too many loons starting too many new threads every day
to keep up any more.

They seem to think it's perfectly ok to cross post to non related groups
and aren't going to quit any time soon.

I thought I would try Free Agent and see what it's like, but the Free
part seems to have disappeared. *Agent 6 looks to be a "trial" run for
30 days only.

What would be a good free reader that provides newsgroup filtering that
works? *Tbird 6.0 absolutely sucks.

No Free Agent anymore, their website explains why. Cost for the full
version is relatively trivial, works out to about $3-4/year for me.
If filters are what you want, it delivers. If you're a regular
expression guy, this is the tool for you. And you can try before you
buy. A lot of free software is worth what you pay for it. I use my
copy of Agent to do both usenet and email. Kills the junk, sorts
incoming into the proper folders. Mailing lists are still out there
and I'm on a few, this makes it easy to keep up.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

Picky picky picky.
One little dot out of place and suddenly security shows up carrying guns!
1.11/32

That's because there are a bunch of 'Occupy Texas' idiots behind you.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

Picky picky picky.
One little dot out of place and suddenly security shows up carrying guns!
1.11/32

That's because there are a bunch of 'Occupy Texas' idiots behind you.

Huh!

It would go a lot like this story....
Do you know the secret handshake?

Johnstown, PA (GlossyNews) - Local and state police scoured the hills
outside rural Johnstown, Pennsylvania, after reports of three animal
rights activists going missing after attempting to protest the wearing
of leather at a large motorcycle gang rally this weekend. Two others,
previously reported missing, were discovered by fast food workers "duct
taped inside fast food restaurant dumpsters," according
to police officials.

"Something just went wrong, "said a still visibly shaken organizer of
the protest. "Something just went horribly, horribly, wrong."The
organizer said a group of concerned animal rights activist groups,
"growing tired of throwing fake blood and shouting profanities at older
women wearing leather or fur coats," decided to protest the annual
motorcycle club event "in a hope to show them our outrage at their
wanting to use leather in their clothing and motor bike seats." "In
fact," said the organizer, "motorcycle gangs are one of the biggest
abusers of wearing leather, and we decided it was high time that we let
them know that we disagree with them using it. ergo, they should stop."

According to witnesses, protesters arrived at the event in a vintage
1960's era Volkswagen van and began to pelt the gang members with
balloons filled with red colored water, simulating blood, and shouting
"you're murderers" to passersby. This, evidently, is when the brouhaha
began.

"They peed on me!!!" charged one activist. "They grabbed me, said I
looked like I was French, started calling me 'La Trene', and duct taped
me to a tree so they could pee on me all day!"

Still others claimed they were forced to eat hamburgers and hot dogs
under duress. Those who resisted were allegedly held down while several
bikers "farted on their heads."

Police officials declined comments on any leads or arrests due to the
ongoing nature of the investigation; however, organizers for the
motorcycle club rally expressed "surprise" at the allegations.

"That's preposterous, "said one high-ranking member of the biker
organizing committee. "We were having a party, and these people showed
up and were very rude to us. They threw things at us, called us names,
and tried to ruin the entire event. So, what did we do? We invited them
to the party! What could be friendlier than that? You know, just because
we are all members of motorcycle clubs does not mean we do not care
about inclusiveness. Personally, I think it shows a lack of character
for them to be saying such nasty things about us after we
bent over backwards to make them feel welcome."

When confronted with the allegations of force-feeding the activists
meat, using them as ad hoc latrines, leaving them incapacitated in fast
food restaurant dumpsters, and 'farting on their heads,' the organizer
declined to comment in detail. "That's just our secret handshake,"
assured the organizer.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

Picky picky picky.
One little dot out of place and suddenly security shows up carrying guns!
1.11/32

Wow, that is old. I was worried you grabbed some malware.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/15/2011 5:53 PM, Wes wrote:
wrote:

Picky picky picky.
One little dot out of place and suddenly security shows up carrying guns!
1.11/32

Wow, that is old. I was worried you grabbed some malware.

Wes

It was primitive enough not to be all that engaging, but no, not malware.

What does the version 6 user interface look like?

Still mostly keyboard driven?
Does a scroll mouse work?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 15 Oct 2011 22:42:29 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 10/15/2011 5:53 PM, Wes wrote:
wrote:

Picky picky picky.
One little dot out of place and suddenly security shows up carrying guns!
1.11/32

Wow, that is old. I was worried you grabbed some malware.

Wes

It was primitive enough not to be all that engaging, but no, not malware.

What does the version 6 user interface look like?

Still mostly keyboard driven?
Does a scroll mouse work?

Yes, at least my Ms wireless one does.

Version 6 only costs $29 US, why bother with earlier versions.

It did take me a while to re-do all my filters from version 4, they
seem to work slightly differently for cross posts. Very easy to get
rid of "one hammer" (TMT) and budgie except when non filtered people
reply to them in RCM. All crosspostings are banned, it reduces the
rubbish by at least 100 posts per day.

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 23 Oct 2011 09:58:35 -0400, Ned Simmons
wrote:
There's an easier way, at least in recent versions of Agent. Go to
Folder Properties-Receiving Messages-Usenet Crossposting and there
are a bunch of fill in the blank options for dealing with xposting.

Thanks for reminding me, I had forgotten that.

When I checked it was set to reject 2 or more Crossposts.

All we have to do now is persuade RCM members to not reply to posts
not originating from RCM then budgie and others like him would not
appear on my screen. He is killfiled, so only shows on RMC replies.

Alan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard wrote:

?
? Richard wrote:
??
[...]

How many 'OT' types can you fit in a restaurant dumpster?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 02:44:25 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Richard wrote:

?
? Richard wrote:
??
[...]

With or without use of a tree shredder?

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

How many 'OT' types can you fit in a restaurant dumpster?

With or without use of a tree shredder?

Wouldn't a jack hammer with a flat 1' square plate at the end work
better than a shredder?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 08:50:42 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

How many 'OT' types can you fit in a restaurant dumpster?

With or without use of a tree shredder?

Wouldn't a jack hammer with a flat 1' square plate at the end work
better than a shredder?

Interesting question! While I certain LIKE the idea..it may simply be
too logisticly slow. Unless one has a large group of People with said
jack hammers..and a good supply of waders.

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

How many 'OT' types can you fit in a restaurant dumpster?

With or without use of a tree shredder?

Wouldn't a jack hammer with a flat 1' square plate at the end work
better than a shredder?

Interesting question! While I certain LIKE the idea..it may simply be
too logisticly slow. Unless one has a large group of People with said
jack hammers..and a good supply of waders.

What people? You set them up in a row, like a rock crusher at a
quarry. Make the whole thing slope about 15° down hill and put a huge,
'FREE POT!!! Get yours while supplies last!!!' sign over the top
opening. They'll be shoving each other out of the way to get their
'fair share'.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Wouldn't a jack hammer with a flat 1' square plate at the end work
better than a shredder?

Interesting question! While I certain LIKE the idea..it may simply be
too logisticly slow. Unless one has a large group of People with said
jack hammers..and a good supply of waders.
... Gunner Asch

That was said to be the typical demise of ivory hunters who missed the brain
of the charging bull elephant. Supposedly the elephant needs about half an
hour to be satisfied with the results.

Burial was not considered necessary, or possible.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" on Sat, 19 Nov 2011
15:48:06 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

How many 'OT' types can you fit in a restaurant dumpster?

With or without use of a tree shredder?

Wouldn't a jack hammer with a flat 1' square plate at the end work
better than a shredder?

Interesting question! While I certain LIKE the idea..it may simply be
too logisticly slow. Unless one has a large group of People with said
jack hammers..and a good supply of waders.

What people? You set them up in a row, like a rock crusher at a
quarry. Make the whole thing slope about 15° down hill and put a huge,
'FREE POT!!! Get yours while supplies last!!!' sign over the top
opening. They'll be shoving each other out of the way to get their
'fair share'.

Like the guy jumping up and down on the manhole saying "15. 15,
15 15!" till someone walks up and asks "Fifteen what". "Well, that
a look" reply's the man, opening up the manhole and helping the guy
down. He then closes the manhole, and starts jumping up and down
saying "Sixteen, I got Sixteen!"

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]

I heard it as 88, 88, 88. It sounds better too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Gunner Asch wrote:

Michael A. Terrell wrote:

[...]