Eric R Snow

Default Please help with Agent

I try to check several newsgroups and I get the message :Finished
retrieving headers. But there are no new headers. Not in RCM, or the
cnc group, or photography, etc. But I know there must be new headers.
So please reply by e-mail because at least I get that. BTW, I'm using
full Agent.
Thanks,
eric
Randy H.

HI Eric,
I use Agent as well, but only for music, pictures, or video groups. For
this group, and groups like this, basically a text format, I like to use
Outlook express.

Works for me,

Randy Hansen
SC Glass Tech
Scam Diego, Comi-fornia

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
I try to check several newsgroups and I get the message :Finished
retrieving headers. But there are no new headers. Not in RCM, or the
cnc group, or photography, etc. But I know there must be new headers.
So please reply by e-mail because at least I get that. BTW, I'm using
full Agent.
Thanks,
eric

Gunner

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 19:32:33 -0700, "Randy H."
wrote:

HI Eric,
I use Agent as well, but only for music, pictures, or video groups. For
this group, and groups like this, basically a text format, I like to use
Outlook express.

Works for me,

Randy Hansen
SC Glass Tech
Scam Diego, Comi-fornia

???? Agent is text based while Outleak Exploder is primarily HTML
based.

But..according to your headers..you are indeed using the script
kiddies favorite target.

Gunner

"Eric R Snow" wrote in message
.. .
I try to check several newsgroups and I get the message :Finished
retrieving headers. But there are no new headers. Not in RCM, or the
cnc group, or photography, etc. But I know there must be new headers.
So please reply by e-mail because at least I get that. BTW, I'm using
full Agent.
Thanks,
eric

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Gerald Miller

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:52:01 -0700, Eric R Snow
wrote:

I try to check several newsgroups and I get the message :Finished
retrieving headers. But there are no new headers. Not in RCM, or the
cnc group, or photography, etc. But I know there must be new headers.
So please reply by e-mail because at least I get that. BTW, I'm using
full Agent.
Thanks,
eric

My box was doing that quite regularly a couple weeks back, but seems
to have gone back to normal now.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Gunner

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 03:12:56 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
But..according to your headers..you are indeed using the script
kiddies favorite target.

So aren't I. And yet...

Tim

Want me to send you a nice bit or three of malevil code and see how
your security handles it?

Gunner

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith

John Ings

wrote:

I try to check several newsgroups and I get the message :Finished
retrieving headers. But there are no new headers. Not in RCM, or the
cnc group, or photography, etc. But I know there must be new headers.
So please reply by e-mail because at least I get that. BTW, I'm using
full Agent.

Are you sure it isn't your news server's problem? Your ISP could have
lost it's newsfeed for some reason. Try using Outlook to see if you
get any that way.

Old Nick

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:52:01 -0700, Eric R Snow
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

This sounds very like an ISP problem.

Has this always happened? Or is it recent?

I have had that from time to time, and have actually once changed ISP
because of it. My change was proved correct. They went belly up.

Talk to your ISP. However, many of them tell you it's your fault if
they are not honest, because NGs are a poor source of POPularity to
them. G

For some reason, IME, they are plugging the subscribed style
NGs/forums.

I have been told to purge NGs etc etc. I have NEVER found Agent to be
at fault. I use Free Agent. Same engine, less fringes.

In the end, if you try all their tricks and still have trouble change
ISPs ( :- ). Or at least check the share value of the one you use
G. DAMHIKT.

BTW, some ISPs do not serve less popular NGs. They may start to, then
drop them. Depending on circumstances, y9ou may not know about the
"change of plan". Try refreshing the NG list, and see if the faulty
NGs are still there.

etc etc.

I try to check several newsgroups and I get the message :Finished
retrieving headers. But there are no new headers. Not in RCM, or the
cnc group, or photography, etc. But I know there must be new headers.
So please reply by e-mail because at least I get that. BTW, I'm using
full Agent.
Thanks,
eric

Marriage. Where two people decide to get together so
that neither of them can do what they want to because
of the other one.
Mark Rand

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:52:01 -0700, Eric R Snow wrote:

I try to check several newsgroups and I get the message :Finished
retrieving headers. But there are no new headers. Not in RCM, or the
cnc group, or photography, etc. But I know there must be new headers.
So please reply by e-mail because at least I get that. BTW, I'm using
full Agent.
Thanks,
eric

You sure that you haven't got group-view messages- (something silly) set?
(it's happened to me before)

posted and emailed

Mark Rand
RTFM
DoN. Nichols

wrote:

I try to check several newsgroups and I get the message :Finished
retrieving headers. But there are no new headers. Not in RCM, or the
cnc group, or photography, etc. But I know there must be new headers.
So please reply by e-mail because at least I get that. BTW, I'm using
full Agent.

Are you sure it isn't your news server's problem? Your ISP could have
lost it's newsfeed for some reason. Try using Outlook to see if you
get any that way.

One possibility is that the news spool disk crashed. (This is
the disk partition on which the news articles are stored.)

As far as I know, *nobody* bothers to back up the news spool, as
it changes so rapidly. And backups of the configuration files are
relatively infrequent.

Each article is stored as a separate file in a subdirectory
matching the name of the newsgroup. As an example,
rec.crafts.metalworking would be stored in

/usr/local/news/spool/rec/crafts/metalworking

(the first four entries remain constant on a given system, and only the
later ones change to represent the newsgroup.)

Each article is a file whose name is a number. At present, the
past 28 days in rec.crafts.metalworking on my server range from 539493
(Jun 24 03:33) through 551183 (Aug 25 18:23). Each new article added
has the next number.

If the news server crashes, it is possible for the file
containing the current article numbers (called the "active" file). Here
is the line for rec.crafts.metalworking in my news server.

rec.crafts.metalworking 000000551184 000000539493 y

If the drive containing the server database, including the "active" file
crashed, it would be replaced by an older copy -- just how old is a
function of the backup frequency.

If the active file is replace by an older one, it will start
re-using already-used names for the files, and your newsreader will
think that you have already read those, so it will see no "new"
articles.

The solution in unix is to edit the ".newsrc" file in your home
directory to change the line which starts with:

"rec.crafts.metalworking: "

and is followed by some list of numbers, so it only contains:

"rec.crafts.metalworking: "

with no following numbers -- though with a space after the ':'.

On various Windows newsreaders, the easiest way to reset the
numbers (as far as I know) is to unsubscribe from the newsgroup, exit
your newsreader (so it forgets all that it had in there), and then
restart the program and re-subscribe to the newsgroup.

Of course, it also could be that your ISP has decided to drop
all news serving -- or just specific newsgroups. In the latter case, a
complaint or several may get it reinstated. There are *tons* of
newsgroups which *nobody* reads, and it takes tons of disk space to hold
only a single day's feed. I have a very limited feed (only the
newsgroups which I want, or a couple of friends want), and as a result,
I can set the expire time for mine to 28 days. If I carried even a
fraction of the whole feed, I could not afford enough disk space for a
single day's feed, let alone to hold nearly a month for newsgroups of
special interest.

FWIW -- the number which an article gets is unique to the news
sever on which you are viewing it, and is almost certainly different on
every other news server.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:52:01 -0700, Eric R Snow
calmly ranted:

I try to check several newsgroups and I get the message :Finished
retrieving headers. But there are no new headers. Not in RCM, or the
cnc group, or photography, etc. But I know there must be new headers.
So please reply by e-mail because at least I get that. BTW, I'm using
full Agent.

Try clicking Online/Sample Headers and setting it for
48 hours. If it still doesn't pick up any messages,
check with your news host. Maybe their server went down
for a bit.

-
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Sunworshipper

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:49:06 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:52:01 -0700, Eric R Snow
calmly ranted:

I try to check several newsgroups and I get the message :Finished
retrieving headers. But there are no new headers. Not in RCM, or the
cnc group, or photography, etc. But I know there must be new headers.
So please reply by e-mail because at least I get that. BTW, I'm using
full Agent.

Try clicking Online/Sample Headers and setting it for
48 hours. If it still doesn't pick up any messages,
check with your news host. Maybe their server went down
for a bit.

-
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

I had trouble switching to cable , it took a couple of calls to get
them to admit their news part was real slow. I waited about 4 days and
then called saying something to the effect that I guess I made a
mistake by switching and it was up to full speed in a couple of hours.

Agent off line NG has helped me a number of times , + Gunner who got
me hooked on Agent. Works great for email also.

If only it wouldn't load up headers so fast that you can't see how
many there are.

Gunner

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:53:34 -0500, "Tim Williams"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .
Want me to send you a nice bit or three of malevil code and see how
your security handles it?

I'm sure I would, I've seen all the popular viruses in my mailbox and
pffbt...nothing. Of course, nowadays it probably wouldn't even get to me
since Charter started filtering spam and viruses!

Tim (boy, filtered spam, OE that works, cable internet... no wonder everyone
here hates me :_)

Ok. Ill find something nice and nasty for you.

Gunner

"In my humble opinion, the petty carping levied against Bush by
the Democrats proves again, it is better to have your eye plucked
out by an eagle than to be nibbled to death by ducks." - Norman
Liebmann
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Tim Williams wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
I have a very limited feed (only the
newsgroups which I want, or a couple of friends want), and as a result,
I can set the expire time for mine to 28 days.

Another nice thing about my connection. Supernews carries some 40k groups
(was 33k or so last time I downloaded the list, IIRC) and even on binaries,
retention is like...*months*.

Supernews (and some others like Google) are exceptions, as they make
money off their news server, so that can be plowed back into more disk
space. :-)

In many cases, the news server is a bonus from the ISP, or from
the employer, and has to live within a very limited budget.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:13:54 -0700, Sunworshipper
calmly ranted:

I had trouble switching to cable , it took a couple of calls to get
them to admit their news part was real slow. I waited about 4 days and
then called saying something to the effect that I guess I made a
mistake by switching and it was up to full speed in a couple of hours.

Agent off line NG has helped me a number of times , + Gunner who got
me hooked on Agent. Works great for email also.

If only it wouldn't load up headers so fast that you can't see how
many there are.

I download message headers -with- bodies and can instantly tell.
Don't you have a small window with the subscribed groups which
gives you a count of unread messages (or headers)?

Using my Disgronification Plonkifier(tmLJ), I weed out most of
the constantly babbling idiots and never see their posts (unless
someone replies with the quoted crap). After trying the new 2.0, I
reverted to 1.93 and will remain there until they get the next-gen
filters engaged. I want to filter body text. Other than that, Agent
has served me very well for nigh onta a decade. Not bad for $29.

-
Inside every older person is a younger person wondering WTF happened.
---
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Old Nick

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004 05:57:45 -0700, Larry Jaques
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

Using my Disgronification Plonkifier(tmLJ), I weed out most of
the constantly babbling idiots and never see their posts

Leaving them to say whatever they like about you to other people....
I have decided that I should not be offended by
anybody's behaviour but my own......the theory's
good, anyway.

Sunworshipper

wrote:

On Wed, 25 Aug 2004 20:13:54 -0700, Sunworshipper
calmly ranted:

I had trouble switching to cable , it took a couple of calls to get
them to admit their news part was real slow. I waited about 4 days and
then called saying something to the effect that I guess I made a
mistake by switching and it was up to full speed in a couple of hours.

Agent off line NG has helped me a number of times , + Gunner who got
me hooked on Agent. Works great for email also.

If only it wouldn't load up headers so fast that you can't see how
many there are.

I download message headers -with- bodies and can instantly tell.
Don't you have a small window with the subscribed groups which
gives you a count of unread messages (or headers)?

Sorry, missed that your asking me. Ahhh do I? LOL
I get the bodies when I want to read them so there are 30 days or so
of unread ones. I just watched when it loaded up before , but now it
goes so fast I can't catch the number.