Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Value of a 120mm artillery shell (no projectile)

While sorting through a $5 auction junk lot today, I found an artillery
shell casing. I had no time to measure it, but it looks like it is
from a 120mm or 152mm shell or something like that. The casing, of
course, is spent.

My first question is, is it legal, but I assume it is.

My second question is, does it have any value at all. I looked on ebay
and have not found much.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

--
http://fija.org/
"Ignoramus4271" wrote in message
While sorting through a $5 auction junk lot today, I found an artillery
shell casing. I had no time to measure it, but it looks like it is
from a 120mm or 152mm shell or something like that. The casing, of
course, is spent.

My first question is, is it legal, but I assume it is.

My second question is, does it have any value at all. I looked on ebay
and have not found much.

They are legal, army, navy surplus stores sell them. Way back when
people used to make lamps out of them.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-01, azotic wrote:

Thanks. THis is a tapered, necked steel casing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus4271" wrote in message
While sorting through a $5 auction junk lot today, I found an artillery
shell casing. I had no time to measure it, but it looks like it is
from a 120mm or 152mm shell or something like that. The casing, of
course, is spent.

My first question is, is it legal, but I assume it is.

My second question is, does it have any value at all. I looked on ebay
and have not found much.

I found a tank shell from when Patton trained around Searchlight, NV. The
shell was the size of a one pound coffee can, just stubby, not the long
ones. I had it a long while, and it went away one day. I'd say brass wise,
it might be worth up to $5, and for a lamp, or a collector, or idiot, $10.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-01, Steve B wrote:

"Ignoramus4271" wrote in message
While sorting through a $5 auction junk lot today, I found an artillery
shell casing. I had no time to measure it, but it looks like it is
from a 120mm or 152mm shell or something like that. The casing, of
course, is spent.

My first question is, is it legal, but I assume it is.

My second question is, does it have any value at all. I looked on ebay
and have not found much.

I found a tank shell from when Patton trained around Searchlight, NV. The
shell was the size of a one pound coffee can, just stubby, not the long
ones. I had it a long while, and it went away one day. I'd say brass wise,
it might be worth up to $5, and for a lamp, or a collector, or idiot, $10.

I see. This one, is about 2 feet long, steel, tapered and necked.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-01, Ignoramus4271 wrote:
While sorting through a $5 auction junk lot today, I found an artillery
shell casing. I had no time to measure it, but it looks like it is
from a 120mm or 152mm shell or something like that. The casing, of
course, is spent.

My first question is, is it legal, but I assume it is.

It certainly should be.

My second question is, does it have any value at all. I looked on ebay
and have not found much.

Pour a couple of inches of lead into the bottom, perhaps put a
soft rim on the edge of the case, and use it for an umbrella/walking
stick stand by the front door. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-01, Ignoramus4271 wrote:
While sorting through a $5 auction junk lot today, I found an artillery
shell casing. I had no time to measure it, but it looks like it is
from a 120mm or 152mm shell or something like that. The casing, of
course, is spent.

My first question is, is it legal, but I assume it is.

It certainly should be.

My second question is, does it have any value at all. I looked on ebay
and have not found much.

Pour a couple of inches of lead into the bottom, perhaps put a
soft rim on the edge of the case, and use it for an umbrella/walking
stick stand by the front door. :-)

Would also be good to use it as a newspaper receptacle under the
mailbox.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 00:02:31 -0500, Ignoramus4271

On 2011-10-01, Ignoramus4271 wrote:
While sorting through a $5 auction junk lot today, I found an artillery
shell casing. I had no time to measure it, but it looks like it is
from a 120mm or 152mm shell or something like that. The casing, of
course, is spent.

My first question is, is it legal, but I assume it is.

It certainly should be.

My second question is, does it have any value at all. I looked on ebay
and have not found much.

Pour a couple of inches of lead into the bottom, perhaps put a
soft rim on the edge of the case, and use it for an umbrella/walking
stick stand by the front door. :-)

Would also be good to use it as a newspaper receptacle under the
mailbox.

An idea I had when dealing with the mailbox baseball aficianados was
to hang a "bomb" made from 6" heavy wall pipe from chains as a mail
receptacle. Was even going to paint a nice target for them on the
side. I figured that'd ring their chimes. Nixed by SWMBO.

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here's a picture of the shell casing:

http://goo.gl/a9h59

You see it standing next to quick starting fluid.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus30024 wrote:
Here's a picture of the shell casing:

http://goo.gl/a9h59

You see it standing next to quick starting fluid.

When you collect a few more, suggest
you loan them to me so I can photograph
each, next to a yellow evidence marker on a downtown
street in Oakland.

--Winston

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 30 Sep 2011 21:07:33 -0500, Ignoramus4271
wrote:

While sorting through a $5 auction junk lot today, I found an artillery
shell casing. I had no time to measure it, but it looks like it is
from a 120mm or 152mm shell or something like that. The casing, of
course, is spent.

My first question is, is it legal, but I assume it is.

My second question is, does it have any value at all. I looked on ebay
and have not found much.

Very legal. Not worth much except to an old fart collector. Put it on a
lathe and polish it up and stick a long stemmed rose in it.

Put it on your desk.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 13:43:55 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:
SNIP
Very legal. Not worth much except to an old fart collector. Put it on a
lathe and polish it up and stick a long stemmed rose in it.

Put it on your desk.

Gunner

Geez Iggy, look-out....I think Gunner is "wooing you" ! Jealousy
does odd things to people, and pretty soon you're going to have more
space and more "trades" than he has !!!!!!!!!!! VBG

Brian Lawson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

While sorting through a $5 auction junk lot today, I found an artillery
shell casing. I had no time to measure it, but it looks like it is
from a 120mm or 152mm shell or something like that. The casing, of
course, is spent.

My first question is, is it legal, but I assume it is.

My second question is, does it have any value at all. I looked on ebay
and have not found much.

Very legal. Not worth much except to an old fart collector. Put it on a
lathe and polish it up and stick a long stemmed rose in it.

Put it on your desk.

I will use it as the office door stop.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 16:56:36 -0400, Brian Lawson
wrote:

On Sat, 01 Oct 2011 13:43:55 -0700, Gunner Asch
wrote:
SNIP
Very legal. Not worth much except to an old fart collector. Put it on a
lathe and polish it up and stick a long stemmed rose in it.

Put it on your desk.

Gunner

Geez Iggy, look-out....I think Gunner is "wooing you" ! Jealousy
does odd things to people, and pretty soon you're going to have more
space and more "trades" than he has !!!!!!!!!!! VBG

Brian Lawson

Chuckle...Iggy has outclassed me by an order of magnitude about 3 yrs
ago and hasnt looked back.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus4271 wrote:
While sorting through a $5 auction junk lot today, I found an artillery
shell casing. I had no time to measure it, but it looks like it is
from a 120mm or 152mm shell or something like that. The casing, of
course, is spent.

My first question is, is it legal, but I assume it is.

My second question is, does it have any value at all. I looked on ebay
and have not found much.

You could try mgetting it and turning it into a vase or lamp.

I've had this piece of "Trench Art" from WW1 sitting in our kitchen for
so long I forgot where and when I bought it.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/P...Trench_Art.jpg

But this guy's got so much of it its a wonder his place doesn't break
through the crust of the earth and sink into the magma below. G

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Oops! -Value of a 120mm artillery shell (no projectile)

jeff_wisnia wrote:

Ignoramus4271 wrote:

While sorting through a $5 auction junk lot today, I found an artillery
shell casing. I had no time to measure it, but it looks like it is
from a 120mm or 152mm shell or something like that. The casing, of
course, is spent.
My first question is, is it legal, but I assume it is.
My second question is, does it have any value at all. I looked on ebay
and have not found much.

You could try mgetting it and turning it into a vase or lamp.

I've had this piece of "Trench Art" from WW1 sitting in our kitchen for
so long I forgot where and when I bought it.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/P...Trench_Art.jpg

But this guy's got so much of it its a wonder his place doesn't break
through the crust of the earth and sink into the magma below. G

Jeff

I forgot to paste in that guy's link. Here 'tis:

http://www.trenchartofww1.co.uk/

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-10-02, jeff_wisnia wrote:
Ignoramus4271 wrote:
While sorting through a $5 auction junk lot today, I found an artillery
shell casing. I had no time to measure it, but it looks like it is
from a 120mm or 152mm shell or something like that. The casing, of
course, is spent.

My first question is, is it legal, but I assume it is.

My second question is, does it have any value at all. I looked on ebay
and have not found much.

You could try mgetting it and turning it into a vase or lamp.

I've had this piece of "Trench Art" from WW1 sitting in our kitchen for
so long I forgot where and when I bought it.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/P...Trench_Art.jpg

But this guy's got so much of it its a wonder his place doesn't break
through the crust of the earth and sink into the magma below. G

Interesting. This is a steel piece, I think at least, doubtfully it is
as easily workable. I will just fill it with rocks and make it a door
stop for my front door.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 2, 12:30*pm, Ignoramus23561 ignoramus23...@NOSPAM.
On 2011-10-02, jeff_wisnia wrote:

Ignoramus4271 wrote:
[...]

Big enough for an umbrella stand or someplace to park a walking
stick. If you post the headstamp info, somebody might have some more
ideas as to what it's from. My bet is that it's from a tank gun. From
time to time, some of the surplus outfits will have drill projectiles,
should you wish to make up the set. Plate them both and have a classy
knee-knocker.

Stan

Homemade artillery gun confiscated from a Khabarovsk car mechanic Ignoramus17662 Metalworking 31 January 31st 11 06:48 PM
Projectile Vomiting In Cats Welsh Dog Home Repair 26 August 20th 10 01:43 AM
Shell case mfg. Buerste Metalworking 4 June 3rd 09 02:16 AM
Shell Gasoline Ad Andy Asberry Metalworking 20 March 11th 09 01:41 AM
FS -- 22,000 artillery shells 155mm Ignoramus15795 Metalworking 18 April 10th 08 11:32 AM