Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Shell Gasoline Ad

I saw an ad tonight on TV. Shell gasoline is now fortified with added
nitrogen.

How is this done, why and how does that keep your engine clean?

And were some BTUs displaced?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Nitrogen is a inert diatomic gas at standard conditions, constituting
78% by volume of Earth's atmosphere.
Is your engine is already burning nitrogen fortified air??!!
It is marketing bull****.

On Mar 7, 8:27*pm, Andy Asberry wrote:
I saw an ad tonight on TV. Shell gasoline is now fortified with added
nitrogen.

How is this done, why and how does that keep your engine clean?

And were some BTUs displaced?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 21:00:15 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Nitrogen is a inert diatomic gas at standard conditions, constituting
78% by volume of Earth's atmosphere.
Is your engine is already burning nitrogen fortified air??!!
It is marketing bull****.

On Mar 7, 8:27*pm, Andy Asberry wrote:
I saw an ad tonight on TV. Shell gasoline is now fortified with added
nitrogen.

How is this done, why and how does that keep your engine clean?

And were some BTUs displaced?

Shell Launches New Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines
02/03/2009

Introducing a new molecule designed to seek and destroy engine gunk in
both conventional and modern engines.

Houston – Today at Shell stations across the U.S., consumers will
fill-up with a new product at the pumps. Shell is introducing the
all-new Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines, containing a unique, patented
cleaning system designed to seek and destroy engine “gunk” (carbon
deposits) in all three grades of gasoline. The new Nitrogen Enriched
cleaning system protects and cleans up gunky build-up on intake valves
and fuel injectors left by lower quality gasolines.

Nitrogen is a key element of the active cleaning molecule in the new
fuel, making it significantly more stable at higher temperatures
common in modern engines, such as direct fuel-injection gasoline
engines. The increased stability ensures that the molecule can work
under much tougher engine conditions by resisting thermal breakdown
better than conventional cleaning additives.

“At Shell, our ‘Passionate Experts’ are dedicated to helping motorists
get the most out of every drop of gasoline,” said Jens Mueller-Belau,
Fuels Portfolio and Category Manager North America, Shell Retail..
“With Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines, our scientists have increased the
effectiveness of our cleaning additive, offering consumers our most
advanced technology ever.”

In addition to developing the new fuel with the consumer in mind,
Shell worked very closely with automotive manufacturers to gain
insight into current and future engine technologies. These insights
along with fuels technology leadership and a strong research and
development program help Shell continually improve its products.

Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines were tested in laboratories, independent
testing facilities, and on the road, accumulating more than a
half-million miles in various vehicles and engines—including
conventional, turbo-charged, and direct fuel-injection gasoline
engines, hybrids, newer vehicles with low mileage, and older vehicles
with high mileage.

Shell scientists also used innovative testing technologies such as
dual fuel engines to conduct head-to-head comparisons with other lower
quality gasolines. In these tests, split engines simultaneously run
on different types of gasoline in order to collect data under the
exact same conditions. The results of these head-to-head comparisons
proved that the Shell Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines are more effective
than lower quality gasolines in protecting against the build-up of
harmful engine gunk.

“In today’s tough economy, American drivers are concerned about
protecting their vehicle since it’s one of their largest investments,”
said Mueller-Belau. “We want to help protect that investment. That’s
why we want them to educate consumers that there is a difference in
the gasoline they choose. Using lower quality gasolines can result in
gunky build-up on critical engine parts, negatively impacting engine
performance. Shell gasolines help drivers say ‘No’ to gunk.”

The Nitrogen Enriched formula is proven to prevent build-up of gunk
more effectively than gasolines containing only the minimum amount of
cleaning agents as required by the EPA.

The new cleaning system is certified to meet the TOP TIER Detergent
Gasoline Standard – voluntary standards designated by some of the
world’s top automakers (Audi, BMW, GM, Honda, Toyota, Volkswagen) to
try to raise the bar on fuel quality beyond minimum government
criteria. Industry research has proven that a clean engine results in
better fuel efficiency, reduced emissions, and overall optimal vehicle
performance.

In addition, Shell V-Power® premium gasoline provides maximum
protection with the highest concentration of the Nitrogen Enriched
cleaning system and more than five times the minimum amount of
cleaning agents required by federal government standards. It seeks and
destroys engine gunk even faster than regular Shell gasoline,
providing maximum protection to help vehicles maintain peak
performance.

Shell is supporting the launch of Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines with a
national marketing campaign, including national TV, radio and online
advertising, as well as point-of-purchase signage at Shell-branded
stations nationwide. The new campaign builds-on the current
“Passionate Experts” platform, focusing on the company’s commitment to
fuel quality and passion for developing innovative new products.

“At Shell, we believe it’s important to educate consumers that all
gasolines are not the same—high quality gasoline can make a difference
in a vehicle,” said Karen Wildman, Shell U.S. brand and communications
manager. “We’re dedicated to continuous product improvement and
innovation, and to helping consumers get the most out of every drop.”

For additional information on Shell Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines, visit
www.passionate-experts.shell.com.

Shell Oil Products US, a subsidiary of Shell Oil Company, is a leader
in the refining, transportation and marketing of fuels, and has a
network of more than 6,000 branded gasoline stations in the Western
United States.

Shell Oil Company is a 50 percent owner of Motiva Enterprises LLC,
along with Saudi Refining, Inc. Motiva Enterprises LLC refines and
markets branded products through more than 8,200 branded stations in
the Eastern and Southern United States. Shell Oil Company is an
affiliate of the Shell Group [(NYSE:RDS.A) and (NYSE:RDS.B)]. For more
information, please visit www.shell.com.

Inquiries:

* Shell Media Line +1 (713) 241-4544 Stefanie Gudis
* Edelman +1 (323) 202-1067

Disclaimer Statement

This announcement contains forward-looking statements concerning the
financial condition, results of operations and businesses of Royal
Dutch Shell. All statements other than statements of historical fact
are, or may be deemed to be, forward-looking statements.
Forward-looking statements are statements of future expectations that
are based on management’s current expectations and assumptions and
involve known and unknown risks and uncertainties that could cause
actual results, performance or events to differ materially from those
expressed or implied in these statements.

Forward-looking statements include, among other things, statements
concerning the potential exposure of Royal Dutch Shell to market risks
and statements expressing management’s expectations, beliefs,
estimates, forecasts, projections and assumptions. These
forward-looking statements are identified by their use of terms and
phrases such as ‘‘anticipate’’, ‘‘believe’’, ‘‘could’’, ‘‘estimate’’,
‘‘expect’’, ‘‘intend’’, ‘‘may’’, ‘‘plan’’, ‘‘objectives’’,
‘‘outlook’’, ‘‘probably’’, ‘‘project’’, ‘‘will’’, ‘‘seek’’,
‘‘target’’, ‘‘risks’’, ‘‘goals’’, ‘‘should’’ and similar terms and
phrases.

There are a number of factors that could affect the future operations
of Royal Dutch Shell and could cause those results to differ
materially from those expressed in the forward-looking statements
included in this Report, including (without limitation): (a) price
fluctuations in crude oil and natural gas; (b) changes in demand for
the Group’s products; (c) currency fluctuations; (d) drilling and
production results; (e) reserve estimates; (f) loss of market and
industry competition; (g) environmental and physical risks;

(h) risks associated with the identification of suitable potential
acquisition properties and targets, and successful negotiation and
completion of such transactions; (i) the risk of doing business in
developing countries and countries subject to international sanctions;
(j) legislative, fiscal and regulatory developments including
potential litigation and regulatory effects arising from
recategorisation of reserves; (k) economic and financial market
conditions in various countries and regions; (l) political risks,
project delay or advancement, approvals and cost estimates; and (m)
changes in trading conditions.

All forward-looking statements contained in this presentation are
expressly qualified in their entirety by the cautionary statements
contained or referred to in this section. Readers should not place
undue reliance on forward-looking statements. Each forward-looking
statement speaks only as of the date of this presentation, May 4,
2006.

Neither Royal Dutch Shell nor any of its subsidiaries undertake any
obligation to publicly update or revise any forward-looking statement
as a result of new information, future events or other information. In
light of these risks, results could differ materially from those
stated, implied or inferred from the forward-looking statements
contained in this document.

The United States Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) permits oil
and gas companies, in their filings with the SEC, to disclose only
proved reserves that a company has demonstrated by actual production
or conclusive formation tests to be economically and legally
producible under existing economic and operating conditions.

We use certain terms in this presentation, such as “oil in place" that
the SEC's guidelines strictly prohibit us from including in filings
with the SEC. U.S. Investors are urged to consider closely the
disclosure in our Form 20-F, File No 1-32575 and disclosure in our
Forms 6-K file No, 1-32575, available on the SEC website www.sec.gov.
You can also obtain these forms from the SEC by calling
1-800-SEC-0330.
at yoyodyne they were all veterans of the psychic wars
exiled from the eighth dimension where the winds of limbo roar"
* * * * * * *mariposa rand mair theal
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

For additional information on Shell Nitrogen Enriched Gasolines, visit
www.passionate-experts.shell.com.

Hopefully their chemists are better than their web site designers.

Why is it that so many "blue chip" companies are taken in by designers
pushing all these ridiculous features. They should take lessons from Amazon,
EBay, etc.

Oh, and to answer the other question, yes the additive will displace some
BTU, but it is probably only there at tens, perhaps hundreds of parts per
million. Combustion chemistry is pretty complicated and traces of compounds
can shift the efficiency up or down.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 21:27:21 -0600, the infamous Andy Asberry
scrawled the following:

I saw an ad tonight on TV. Shell gasoline is now fortified with added
nitrogen.

How is this done, why and how does that keep your engine clean?

And were some BTUs displaced?

And people wonder why I don't miss TV at all after shutting off my
feed a year and a half ago...

I wonder if this is the marketing plan which will make us forget that
we'll never get hydrogen-powered vehicles [since they were "making"
hydrogen by reforming fossil fuel (oil & natural gas.)]

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I skipped the meeting, but the Memos showed that Gunner Asch
wrote on Sat, 07 Mar 2009 21:58:56 -0800
in rec.crafts.metalworking :
[...]

Sounds like Yet Another Additive. New and Improved!

Selah.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 9, 10:24*am, John Husvar wrote:
In article ,
*Gerald Miller wrote:

On Sat, 7 Mar 2009 21:00:15 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Nitrogen is a inert diatomic gas at standard conditions, constituting
78% by volume of Earth's atmosphere.
Is your engine is already burning nitrogen fortified air??!!
It is marketing bull****.

On Mar 7, 8:27*pm, Andy Asberry wrote:
I saw an ad tonight on TV. Shell gasoline is now fortified with added
nitrogen.

How is this done, why and how does that keep your engine clean?

And were some BTUs displaced?

"Let Esso put a tiger in your tank" * - * " Texaco takes the hair out
of your gas" *- *"Chevron Supreme fits square gas tanks as well as
round" * I think I remembered those correctly.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Don't forget "Lead-Free Amoco" (~1950s-60s) and "Shell with Platformate."- Hide quoted text -

At least "Platformate" had some basis in reality. Platinum was used
as a catalyst in the cracking towers to bust the big molecules left
from the simple distillation columns into higher octane stuff. Of
course, just about every other refiner was doing the same at the time.

Don't remember Lead-Free Amoco from that period.

Wonder what the nitrogen compound is? Hydrazine? Nitroglycerine?
Nitromethane?

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 09 Mar 2009 03:13:50 GMT, "gary0232" wrote:

How many people have had to bring in their car for degunking?

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
.. .
I saw an ad tonight on TV. Shell gasoline is now fortified with added
nitrogen.

How is this done, why and how does that keep your engine clean?

And were some BTUs displaced?

You'd be surprised how many would benefit from it - particularly
those that are never really "driven". I've seen intakes so choked up
you'd never get half throttle out of them. ANd exhausts almost as bad.
Combuston chambers so bad that hightest pings under a light load.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mar 9, 2:10*pm, wrote:

Wonder what the nitrogen compound is? *Hydrazine? *Nitroglycerine?
Nitromethane?

Stan

I couldn't find chemical details easily, but it sounds like a
detergent. They were able to patent it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In the 1960s Shell had an add showing cars with Platformate driving
through paper barriers.

The guy that came up with that add said that he had his greatest ideas
while drunk or astool.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Maybe during the 60s and possibly into the 70s, one brand (can't remember
it) claimed as a major selling point every winter that maybe just their
supreme grade, had gas line antifreeze in it.

Don't get stranded by fuel line freezup.
Protection against fuel line freezing.
With (name) Supreme, you go, or we pay for the tow.

Over the decades, just this small city in western PA has had probably more
than 30 different regional and national gasoline/oil company names in it,
from back in the Cities Service and Esso days.
Now there are maybe 4 different brands (including Sheetz), and almost all of
'em are mini-marts.. and maybe only one (non mini-mart) with lifts, a real
air compressor and maybe a tire changer.
I can think of possibly two that still have attendants that pump gas for the
customers who don't want to pump the gas themselves.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Andy Asberry" wrote in message
I saw an ad tonight on TV. Shell gasoline is now fortified with added
nitrogen.

How is this done, why and how does that keep your engine clean?

And were some BTUs displaced?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 07 Mar 2009 21:27:21 -0600, Andy Asberry
wrote:

I saw an ad tonight on TV. Shell gasoline is now fortified with added
nitrogen.

How is this done, why and how does that keep your engine clean?

And were some BTUs displaced?

There are some pretty energetic nitrogen compounds. In addition to
the obvious nitroglycerin, nitrocellulose, TNT, etc., we have
"hexamine" (hexamethylenetetramine, C6H12N4) that makes up those fuel
tablets for some camping stoves. But from the blurb, it sounds as
though they have a nitrogen-containing detergent that might be a
little more energetic than a similar no-nitrogen detergent. Probably
not a big deal anyway, since detergents are usually minor constituents
of gasoline.

Best -- Terry