Dave Hinz

Default OT shotgun shell

On 28 Mar 2005 16:18:25 GMT, Ignoramus29361 wrote:
While walking to train this morning, I found a shotgun shell on the
street. 12 ga 3.25", it would fit my shotgun. The question is, is it
safe? It has a slightly rusted perimeter of the base, otherwise it
looks fine. Looks like it fell out of someone's garbage.

Safe as in "won't go off by itself", yes. Safe as in "I'd put it
in my shotgun and fire it", well, I wouldn't bother.
Bob May

THe shell may have ejection problems but it will probably work otherwise.
Considering the cost of a shell, I'd not bother putting it into my gun. Not
that there is any danger from the gun exploding but rather problems like not
firing or staying in the barrel type problems. Failure to fire is always a
chancy time.

--
Why isn't there an Ozone Hole at the NORTH Pole?

coondog

Ignoramus29361 wrote:
While walking to train this morning, I found a shotgun shell on the
street. 12 ga 3.25", it would fit my shotgun. The question is, is it
safe? It has a slightly rusted perimeter of the base, otherwise it
looks fine. Looks like it fell out of someone's garbage.

As with all ammunition. If you don't know exactly what you're putting
in you gun. DON'T FIRE IT.

There's plenty of people with reloding equipment for 12 ga. The shell
you picked up could have been loaded by a 12 year old with nothing
better to do than play with Daddy's loader. I know. I was that 12
year old and I threw away plenty of loads that I was too scared to
fire.

Steve at Mits....

Gunner

wrote:

While walking to train this morning, I found a shotgun shell on the
street. 12 ga 3.25", it would fit my shotgun. The question is, is it
safe? It has a slightly rusted perimeter of the base, otherwise it
looks fine. Looks like it fell out of someone's garbage.

3 1/4"? Thats relatively new. So it should be fine.

Just be damned sure that indeed you have a 3 1/4" chamber. While it
probably wont blow up a 2 3/4 or 3" shot gun in good condition..it
could and when a shotgun catastrphicly disassembles because of the
wrong ammo...people get hurt.

The rust on the base, no biggy. I was given 2 5 gallon buckets
full of such a friend of mine dug out of his garage. Lots of paper
shells too. Perhaps 3% of the paper ones were duds.

This after his garage had been under 3 foot of water for 2 days.

Gunner

Leftwingers are like pond scum. They are green, slimy, show up where
they are not wanted, and interfere with the fishing.

Strider
AcidBurn

Why on Earth would you trust a "found" shell in your weapon? For goodness
sake they cost only pennies apiece.
Cut the plastic and soak the thing in water, throw it in the trash...

Searcher1