Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT interesting eBay buyer

I just sold something on eBay & looked at the buyer's feedback. It's
very good - 12,000 positive in the last 12 months, no negs. 78,000
received since '02. Here's the interesting part: "he" was the buyer in
all cases! 12,000 buys in the last year - 1000 a month. I can see a
seller of cheap stuff doing a 1000 a month, but a buyer doing it
surprised me.

I spot checked the items - almost all industrial controls. It must be a
whole purchasing dept of a large company. But large co's usually go
through distributors where they can order what they want (what the
engineer says is needed), not search for it on eBay.

Interesting. I wonder if there is very much of this going on.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

There's mo from the ship-to address, I found them to be Santa Clara
Systems. Which is "... a distributor of factory automation and
industrial controls."

"As wholesale electrical consolidators, Santa Clara Systems maintains an
inventory of new and obsolete parts utilized in all areas of the
manufacturing and industrial sectors."

Fascinating that they would use eBay as a source of so much stuff. On a
one-of basis.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
There's mo from the ship-to address, I found them to be Santa Clara
Systems. Which is "... a distributor of factory automation and industrial
controls."

"As wholesale electrical consolidators, Santa Clara Systems maintains an
inventory of new and obsolete parts utilized in all areas of the
manufacturing and industrial sectors."

Fascinating that they would use eBay as a source of so much stuff. On a
one-of basis.

Bob

Rebuilders, perhaps? They must be very efficient at searching and buying
what they want.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-26, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I just sold something on eBay & looked at the buyer's feedback. It's
very good - 12,000 positive in the last 12 months, no negs. 78,000
received since '02. Here's the interesting part: "he" was the buyer in
all cases! 12,000 buys in the last year - 1000 a month. I can see a
seller of cheap stuff doing a 1000 a month, but a buyer doing it
surprised me.

I spot checked the items - almost all industrial controls. It must be a
whole purchasing dept of a large company. But large co's usually go
through distributors where they can order what they want (what the
engineer says is needed), not search for it on eBay.

Interesting. I wonder if there is very much of this going on.

This guy probably sells this stuff on ebay also, properly
described. Possibly under another user id. He is also probably a
industrial supplier on other venues.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 26 Sep 2011 19:15:54 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

I just sold something on eBay & looked at the buyer's feedback. It's
very good - 12,000 positive in the last 12 months, no negs. 78,000
received since '02. Here's the interesting part: "he" was the buyer in
all cases! 12,000 buys in the last year - 1000 a month. I can see a
seller of cheap stuff doing a 1000 a month, but a buyer doing it
surprised me.

I spot checked the items - almost all industrial controls. It must be a
whole purchasing dept of a large company. But large co's usually go
through distributors where they can order what they want (what the
engineer says is needed), not search for it on eBay.

Interesting. I wonder if there is very much of this going on.

Bob

Yes indeed. Which is why when the economy finally recovers in 3-5
yrs...or starts to anyways..there will be people who have locks on many
industrial devices. Same way with Hummel figurines and so forth.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Now is an AWESOME time to deal in surplus equipment... like shooting
fish in a barrel...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
There's mo from the ship-to address, I found them to be Santa Clara
Systems. Which is "... a distributor of factory automation and industrial
controls."

"As wholesale electrical consolidators, Santa Clara Systems maintains an
inventory of new and obsolete parts utilized in all areas of the
manufacturing and industrial sectors."

Fascinating that they would use eBay as a source of so much stuff. On a
one-of basis.

Bob

A friend of mine just retired as an electrician. Someone he knows started a
service called Breaker Broker, IIRC. They will buy any antiquated outdated
breaker that is in very good to new condition. They then resell them to
people who don't want to change a whole panel who have those obsolete or
hard to find (translates $$$$$) breakers.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-26, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
I just sold something on eBay & looked at the buyer's feedback. It's
very good - 12,000 positive in the last 12 months, no negs. 78,000
received since '02. Here's the interesting part: "he" was the buyer in
all cases! 12,000 buys in the last year - 1000 a month. I can see a
seller of cheap stuff doing a 1000 a month, but a buyer doing it
surprised me.

I spot checked the items - almost all industrial controls. It must be a
whole purchasing dept of a large company. But large co's usually go
through distributors where they can order what they want (what the
engineer says is needed), not search for it on eBay.

Interesting. I wonder if there is very much of this going on.

This guy probably sells this stuff on ebay also, properly
described. Possibly under another user id. He is also probably a
industrial supplier on other venues.

When I was younger, I was into Scouting. One of my Cub's dad traveled all
over the country, this was late seventies into the eighties, buying out
bankrupt and closed industrial businesses. He made lots of dough, and
locally, bought and sold tools. I asked him about the buy/sell thing that
he did all over the US. He said the trick was to have it sold before you
bought it. He was in contact with a lot of companies, and he'd go looking,
and drop ship it from the auction site.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

You just had damned well better know what is going to sell in the
future..and whats best sold for scrap.

California went through that twice in the past 10 yrs. And a ****load
of stuff went for scrap, because no one would buy it beyond its scrap
value. And shipping a 240" Monarch lathe was far far more than scrap
value, with few people interested in buying it.

Gunner

"In the history of mankind, there have always been men and women who's goal
in life is to take down nations. We have just elected such a man to run our
country." - David Lloyyd (2008)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve B wrote:

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
There's mo from the ship-to address, I found them to be Santa Clara
Systems. Which is "... a distributor of factory automation and industrial
controls."

"As wholesale electrical consolidators, Santa Clara Systems maintains an
inventory of new and obsolete parts utilized in all areas of the
manufacturing and industrial sectors."

Fascinating that they would use eBay as a source of so much stuff. On a
one-of basis.

Bob

A friend of mine just retired as an electrician. Someone he knows started a
service called Breaker Broker, IIRC. They will buy any antiquated outdated
breaker that is in very good to new condition. They then resell them to
people who don't want to change a whole panel who have those obsolete or
hard to find (translates $$$$$) breakers.

You'd be amazed at how much a large circuit breaker can sell for, or how
much it costs to the entire panels it's in.

I used to grab the large ones from datacenter rebuilds and sell them on
ebay.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus21395 on Mon, 26 Sep
2011 21:41:46 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Yes indeed. Which is why when the economy finally recovers in 3-5
yrs...or starts to anyways..there will be people who have locks on many
industrial devices. Same way with Hummel figurines and so forth.

Now is an AWESOME time to deal in surplus equipment... like shooting
fish in a barrel...

If only I had the cash ... That's the problem, lots of deals,
little cash to take advantage of them. Not just Ebay, but garage
sales.
--
pyotr
you are a bloody fool, only an ignorant cretin would even ask the
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Cydrome Leader" wrote

You'd be amazed at how much a large circuit breaker can sell for, or how
much it costs to the entire panels it's in.

I used to grab the large ones from datacenter rebuilds and sell them on
ebay.

I've built two houses, and remodeled five. I've helped my electrician
friend with his work, and he was certified for the really high voltage
stuff. He helped me on a lot of work around my places. Amazed doesn't
quite describe some of the prices we ran into for 100A and 200A stuff.
Stunned, as if by electricity is more accurate.

Steve ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

country." - David Lloyyd (2008)- Hide quoted text -

So Gummer...how does it feel knowing that Ig can make piles of money
by accident while you are slowly starving to death with both of you
doing the same surplus thing?

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 26, 6:53*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
There's mo from the ship-to address, I found them to be Santa Clara
Systems. *Which is "... a distributor of factory automation and
industrial controls."

"As wholesale electrical consolidators, Santa Clara Systems maintains an
inventory of new and obsolete parts utilized in all areas of the
manufacturing and industrial sectors."

Fascinating that they would use eBay as a source of so much stuff. *On a
one-of basis.

Bob

I would seriously wonder about the quality of their products.

And would not want to be a customer.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ATP ATP is offline

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
On Sep 26, 6:53 pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
There's mo from the ship-to address, I found them to be Santa Clara
Systems. Which is "... a distributor of factory automation and
industrial controls."

"As wholesale electrical consolidators, Santa Clara Systems maintains an
inventory of new and obsolete parts utilized in all areas of the
manufacturing and industrial sectors."

Fascinating that they would use eBay as a source of so much stuff. On a
one-of basis.

Bob

I would seriously wonder about the quality of their products.

And would not want to be a customer.

TMT

Everyone reconditioning/selling surplus equipment is getting it from
somewhere. If they check it out properly I don't see the problem.