Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Some interesting tools on eBay

Hi all,
Believe it or not, this is not a spam. I just came across a few odd,
fascinating, and/or unusual tools on eBay while I was browsing, and I
thought I'd share them with y'all, who might also appreciate
interesting tools. (As you can see, they're all from different
sellers, and I'm not affiliated with any of them - just interested in
neat tools).

First is a beautiful hand-made wood plane, #220077962558
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...romZR40QQfviZ1
I've never seen one like this - mostly I think it's visually appealing
and unusual, but it also looks pretty comfortable to use. If I were
more of a carver, I might attempt to make one just because I like it.

Second item is a Stanley #1 plane, #270087778634
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...8634%26fvi%3D1
I've heard these were sought-after collectors items, but $729 with 4+
hours to go? Sheesh. I do appreciate antique tools for their
inherent value as old tools, and this old number 1 is in great shape.
But for my money, that'd be a pretty nice selection of LN or Veritas
or Knight planes, or even a Grizzly 8" jointer.

Third is maybe the strangest IMO - a drill with a full circular-saw
attachment, #180083815822
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5822%26fvi%3D1
Maybe this isn't that unusual to some of you, but it strikes me as a
tool that represents a very different era of tool-buying or tool-
manufacturing priorities. Seems like the push now is for more tools
that are more specialized, not for ways to make your existing tools
useful for other purposes. Also seems like a drill motor would NOT do
a very good job of running a circular saw, and it seems like the shape
and weight balance of this contraption would make it hard to use. Oh,
well.

Hope these are interesting to someone else,
Andy

Posted to rec.woodworking

Andy wrote:
Hi all,

Third is maybe the strangest IMO - a drill with a full circular-saw
attachment, #180083815822
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5822%26fvi%3D1
Maybe this isn't that unusual to some of you, but it strikes me as a
tool that represents a very different era of tool-buying or tool-
manufacturing priorities. Seems like the push now is for more tools
that are more specialized, not for ways to make your existing tools
useful for other purposes. Also seems like a drill motor would NOT do
a very good job of running a circular saw, and it seems like the shape
and weight balance of this contraption would make it hard to use. Oh,
well.

Hope these are interesting to someone else,
Andy

Thanks for posting. This last item looks like it belongs in the hall of
fame for bad ideas! :-)
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Andy" wrote

First is a beautiful hand-made wood plane, #220077962558
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...romZR40QQfviZ1
I've never seen one like this - mostly I think it's visually appealing
and unusual, but it also looks pretty comfortable to use. If I were
more of a carver, I might attempt to make one just because I like it.

I love the line, "all it needs is the metal parts".

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 8 Feb, 17:21, "Andy" wrote:

Second item is a Stanley #1 plane, #270087778634http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270087778634&ru=ht...
I've heard these were sought-after collectors items, but $729 with 4+
hours to go?

A boxed and very nice example went on eBay UK a week or so back for
$4000

Posted to rec.woodworking

I hadn't seen one of these in more years than I care to remember!

Back in the 50s my Dad and I built a boat (well, built it from a from
Luger Boat Kits kit) using an old electric drill and one of these
contraptions. The sound and smoke (burning wood) were considerable,
but it did cut oak transomes, ribs and marine ply.

The boat was a 16' semi-vee that we duck hunted from on Lake St. Louis
(surrounds Montreal Island) for many years. Snow, ice, etc. were part
of the sport. Dad sold the boat in 71 when he retired and moved to
Florida. I'd been in the US Army for 6 years by that time and had no
way to get to Canada and claim any of the stuff he left up there,
including 100+ duck decoys we wacked out (not carved) from solid cedar
8X8, the blanks cut with the same idiot rig. 4 cuts to the piece then
finish with a hand saw (which I do have).

Memories, but I wouldn't buy one!

Tom

On Thu, 08 Feb 2007 11:40:47 -0600, "Charlie M. 1958"
wrote:

Andy wrote:
Hi all,

Third is maybe the strangest IMO - a drill with a full circular-saw
attachment, #180083815822
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...5822%26fvi%3D1
Maybe this isn't that unusual to some of you, but it strikes me as a
tool that represents a very different era of tool-buying or tool-
manufacturing priorities. Seems like the push now is for more tools
that are more specialized, not for ways to make your existing tools
useful for other purposes. Also seems like a drill motor would NOT do
a very good job of running a circular saw, and it seems like the shape
and weight balance of this contraption would make it hard to use. Oh,
well.

Hope these are interesting to someone else,
Andy

Thanks for posting. This last item looks like it belongs in the hall of
fame for bad ideas! :-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

First is a beautiful hand-made wood plane, #220077962558http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220077962558&ru=ht...

attachment, #180083815822http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180083815822&ru=ht...
Maybe this isn't that unusual to some of you, but it strikes me as a
tool that represents a very different era of tool-buying or tool-
manufacturing priorities. Seems like the push now is for more tools
that are more specialized, not for ways to make your existing tools
useful for other purposes. Also seems like a drill motor would NOT do
a very good job of running a circular saw, and it seems like the shape
and weight balance of this contraption would make it hard to use. Oh,
well.

Hope these are interesting to someone else,
Andy

The 3rd item looks like an opportunity to saw your arm off.

Posted to rec.woodworking
CW CW is offline

What, your third arm? One hand holding the drill, one holding the saw, the
third to get in the blade path.

"jeljeljel" wrote in message

The 3rd item looks like an opportunity to saw your arm off.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Feb 8, 1:43?pm, "Andy Dingley" wrote:
On 8 Feb, 17:21, "Andy" wrote:

Second item is a Stanley #1 plane, #270087778634http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270087778634&ru=ht...
I've heard these were sought-after collectors items, but $729 with 4+
hours to go?

A boxed and very nice example went on eBay UK a week or so back for
$4000

This one went for over $1,400, and it was not what I'd call first
class.