Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Petroleum vs Aqueous Parts Washing Fluid and RUST!

Here's something interesting.

I have a Graymills 800-A parts washer.

http://goo.gl/a7k4g

It is supposed to be used with a petroleum based solvent. I would,
naturally, prefer to use a water base solvent.

If I can use water instead of Petroleum, I can save a huge amount of
money, EPA hassles, disposal fees, actual headaches from fumes,
etc. So, I am very interested in finding a solution!

I called Graymills company today and asked them, what would happen if
I put water with Simple Green in this parts cleaner.

The guy said, it will work just fine, it will clean, and the pump will
pump, but it will start rusting.

So, now I am thinking about preventing rust.

1) Can I add some kind of rust inhibitor to the water/Simple green
solution?

2) Can I, perhaps, fashion some zinc anode or something, like they do
on outboard motors for boats?

Any other ideas?

thanks!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 12, 2:25*pm, Ignoramus27349 ignoramus27...@NOSPAM.
27349.invalid wrote:
[...]

What is added to water soluble coolant to keep it from rusting machine
tools?
Coolant is mixed 10-20 to 1 water and coolant. It always amazes me
that the coolant does not rust the parts and machine, and ****es me
off when it does, once the coolant goes bad.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus27349 wrote:

[...]

Zep makes an anti-rust product #1049. I use it in the water table for my
CNC plasma cutting. 8oz per gal of water, or 1 gal per 500gal tank
capacity per the label. It comes in 5gal and 55gal sizes only BTW. I
don't know about it's compatibility with cleaners.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-12, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus27349 wrote:

[...]

Pete, where do you get this product?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus27349 wrote:
[...]

I run Simple Green in my parts washers. Do they rust? Yep, they are made
of steel!. Does the Simple green seem to hasten the rust. Nope.
If you have a good coat of paint inside it helps but the best thing I
have done so far was to drain, clean and blast the interior of the tank,
then spray it with truck bed liner. Makes it VERY tough and stops the
damage in the tank. The next item is to keep the solvent clean. I do
that with a pair of filters. First stage is a filter on the intake to
keep the big crud out of the pump. I use a custom made bracket with a
small engine air filter on it. Then the solvent goes through the pump
and out through a filter adapter that holds a Ford oil filter. (PH-8 or
similar) Then out of the filter to a bulkhead fitting and into the hose
to the brush.

--
Steve W.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just had to look -
http://www.zep.com/products/products...rchTer m=1049
Says:

A protective coating for ferrous surfaces where safety, low-odor, short-term
protection and paintability are important. Leaves no visible residue. Will
not interfere with subsequent painting of treated surfaces.

Sounds good. MSDS says 10-20% by weight triethanolamine and 5% by weight
sodium nitrite, neither of which are particularly nasty at the final
concentrations (I guess the TEA is for pH control? and the sodium nitrite
will be sacrificially oxidized to nitrate to protect the iron surface).
Should rinse right off whatever you clean with just water, and the MSDS says
it is not hazardous waste. Lots of industrial cleaning supply houses are
Zep distributors so it shouldn't be hard to find locally to you. Only real
question is how often do you need to replenish it?

-----
Regards,
Carl Ijames
"Pete C." wrote in message
.com...

Ignoramus27349 wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-09-12, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus27349 wrote:

[...]

I bought it directly from Zep. I picked it up at a Zep plant/warehouse a
bit south of Dallas (Desoto) to save the shipping cost as well. I
originally tried to have my local Home Depot order it since they carry
Zep products, but it seems the division of Zep they deal with doesn't
make the Anti-rust product.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve W." wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Ignoramus27349 wrote:
[...]

The Line-X truck bed coating is particularly nice. I hear the Line-X
folks get to go out in the field to spray a lot of oil field equipment
around here.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 12 Sep 2011 18:50:05 -0400, "Carl Ijames"
wrote:

I just had to look -
http://www.zep.com/products/products...rchTer m=1049
Says:

A protective coating for ferrous surfaces where safety, low-odor, short-term
protection and paintability are important. Leaves no visible residue. Will
not interfere with subsequent painting of treated surfaces.

Sounds good. MSDS says 10-20% by weight triethanolamine and 5% by weight
sodium nitrite, neither of which are particularly nasty at the final
concentrations (I guess the TEA is for pH control? and the sodium nitrite
will be sacrificially oxidized to nitrate to protect the iron surface).

sodium nitrite is used in plasma cutter water tanks to prevent rust.
It is readily available for a low cost. Seen regularly on eBay for
example.

Karl
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I just had to look -
http://www.zep.com/products/products...rchTer m=1049
Says:

A protective coating for ferrous surfaces where safety, low-odor,
short-term
protection and paintability are important. Leaves no visible residue. Will
not interfere with subsequent painting of treated surfaces.

Sounds good. MSDS says 10-20% by weight triethanolamine and 5% by weight
sodium nitrite, neither of which are particularly nasty at the final
concentrations (I guess the TEA is for pH control? and the sodium nitrite
will be sacrificially oxidized to nitrate to protect the iron surface).

sodium nitrite is used in plasma cutter water tanks to prevent rust.
It is readily available for a low cost. Seen regularly on eBay for
example.

IIRC TEA is the main ingredient in quite a few of the "synthetic" water
soluble metalworking fluids particularilt those targeted for cutting
aluminum.

Washing machine parts. mark UK diy 6 July 3rd 10 01:07 AM
Petroleum based grease on plastic gears Steve UK diy 4 May 14th 08 06:18 PM
Repair rust in washing machine tub? astro_boy Home Ownership 1 April 9th 05 10:23 PM
Petroleum odors? ? ? Ray Home Repair 8 February 24th 05 02:02 PM
Hi, successes and stuck on rust on iron parts. Gerald Miller Metalworking 19 August 30th 04 06:00 PM