Gerald Miller

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 00:52:53 GMT, (Jason D.) wrote:

This is about the 1987 plymouth caravan with carb 2.2L engine.

May remember way back when I asked about fixing the managled threaded
hole in the water box of 2.2L aluminum alloy head, really so bad
that's looks like a chewed up hole than a drilled hole let alone
tapped.

Well, Got taps and drill bits but was stalled because I couldn't find
to borrow or rent electric drill with 3/4" or 1" chuck. Couldn't think
of finding a place or mail order (big bucks!!) to buy big drills with
1/2" shanks for 3/8" and 1/2" NPT taps, till my brother pointed me way
to Ackland Graingers for tools used for build aluminum hulled coast
guard boats several years ago. Got the stepped drill bits in required
size and fixed mine up and used a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter for the coolant
sensor. DONE. Glad that place is right on same block where our TV
shop is on.

Boy! Cutting 1/2" NPT in soft aluminum even lubed with cutting fluid
is hard work. Had limited space to work with. In a pinch adjustable
wrench and 14mm open end wrench working together to minimize side
stresses on tap will serve as tap handle.

Now I have current question that plaguing me to no end. How can you
get a two iron parts that is liberally stuck together with no bolts
keeping it together? Say a iron part (EGR valve is bust) is formerly
bolted to the iron part which is exhaust manifold. Because it was
bolted together and had 17 years on that two parts is literally welded
together even there is not much rust scaling. Former owner tried to
remove EGR valve before from the rust spots on tube (where back of
hammer hits it on back swings).

Tried to heat it up twice till EGR valve smoked with brenzomatic
carefully because that gas can inverted enough the torch flame goes
out with "POP!" It was raw fuel in it slugging the head.

Even hammering it, plenty of penetranting fluids. (Couldn't find PB
Blaster in Canada Ontario, tried many auto parts stores, where are
they?)

Got it almost cracked with chisel wedged into seam where gasket would
be but still won't budge any farther.

Any suggestions to get this rusty iron love mates separated?

Cheers,

Wizard

Got my first can of PB Blaster at NAPA in Port Huron, then discovered
that Wal-mart have it twenty cents cheaper. Good stuff. Apparently
Kroil, you have to buy direct from Kano labs:
http://www.kanolabs.com/
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Kevin Beitz

Try induction heating... Wrap a chunk of nickel wire around the part
and hook both ends to your battery...

"Kevin Beitz" wrote in message
om...
Try induction heating... Wrap a chunk of nickel wire around the part
and hook both ends to your battery...

Hmmm... might work for a very short time.... I think it needs AC...

Leo Lichtman

"M" wrote: Hmmm... might work for a very short time.... I think it
needs AC...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think maybe he meant *nichrome," which works on both AC and DC. Of
course, that requires a very broad definition of induction heating. G

jim rozen

In article , Leo
Lichtman says...

I think maybe he meant *nichrome," which works on both AC and DC. Of
course, that requires a very broad definition of induction heating. G

Sump'n tells me that any kind of nichrome wire approach isn't
going to heat it much better than the propane torch did, already.

g g

Jim

please reply to:

Don Foreman

Kano labs used to accept checks, but I don't know if they ship outside
the US. They do ship UPS, no problem there. But if your boss
doesn't like ordering south of the border, then I guess you'll have to
get along with what's available north of the border, won't you!

Kroil or any other chemical needs a crack to penetrate. If there's no
crack, it's not gonna help. If there is any crack at all, even
millionths of an inch, Kroil does eventually penetrate and do the
job.

Heating to red heat nearly always defeats rust, , but I don't know if
your exhaust manifold would tolerate that without cracking. I doubt
if you're getting it hot enough to do much good with an ordinary
propane torch.

If these parts are just mating flat surfaces, I'd suspect a bolt,
dowel pin or other fastener might still be in place that you've
missed.

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 03:00:54 GMT, (Jason D.) wrote:

Oh my. konolabs.com wants credit cards or company P.O. I don't have
credit card. My boss doesn't like to order stuff south of border (no
offense intended). Is there a no allowed chemical shipping by mail
like this kroil?

I was thinking of asking somebody like here after sending enough
payment for it, cost of shipping to my address (ontario, canada) and
small token for your trouble?

I'm expressing my doubt, is that kroil that "magicial"? like mine that
EGR and exhaust manifold won't let go (there is no bolts holding that
part on, just a flat surface stuck together by rust like high end two
shim blocks stuck together. Even glue fails under my abuse but this
RUST!? Amazing!

What about a chemical that will "eat away" rust but leave loose stuff
that comes off easily? I was thinking about acid but I knew there
should be different chemcials.

Cheers,

Wizard

Jason D.

On 27 Aug 2004 15:24:48 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Leo
Lichtman says...

I think maybe he meant *nichrome," which works on both AC and DC. Of
course, that requires a very broad definition of induction heating. G

Sump'n tells me that any kind of nichrome wire approach isn't
going to heat it much better than the propane torch did, already.

RIGHT. :-) Induction heat takes so much to heat this big "fistful" of
hunk of an junk iron I'm trying to remove and that car battery is
typical 600-800Ah, not a chance. Remember the horsepower vs watt is
1hp = 746W. Pitiful! Even a typical can of propane torch has so
MUCH BTU means it has loads and loads of wattage, just be patient.
Whooossssssssssooooh... POP! Darn! valve closes, retreats to storage
cabient and "hide" behind it bec was windy outside and trying to light
BIC (flick, flick, flick owww my thumb!, flick finally!) and crack
open that valve till torch lights again. So on till the iron starts
to smoke.

Switching power induction heating technology is cool stuff through,
but takes so much power to pull that off, remember electric isn't
free. Have to produce that electrical power somewhere else in the
beginning in first place. Gas, oil, etc is right there and efficient
at heating up stuff directly.

Cheers,

Wizard

g g

Jim

--
================================================= =
please reply to:

Jason D.

Um, about the PB Blaster penetranting fluid. Couldn't find it at
Walmart either.

Looks like I'll try the Kroil.

Cheers,

Wizard

jim rozen

In article , Jason D. says...

Oh my. konolabs.com wants credit cards or company P.O. I don't have
credit card. My boss doesn't like to order stuff south of border (no
offense intended). Is there a no allowed chemical shipping by mail
like this kroil?

Check with local gunshops.

The one around here stocks it in one pint cans.

Jim

please reply to:

Jason D.

On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 10:50:20 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

Kano labs used to accept checks, but I don't know if they ship outside
the US. They do ship UPS, no problem there. But if your boss
doesn't like ordering south of the border, then I guess you'll have to
get along with what's available north of the border, won't you!

Yes, credit cards or PO. And will ship anywhere I think.

Kroil or any other chemical needs a crack to penetrate. If there's no
crack, it's not gonna help. If there is any crack at all, even
millionths of an inch, Kroil does eventually penetrate and do the
job.

Yes THERE is a crack.

Heating to red heat nearly always defeats rust, , but I don't know if
your exhaust manifold would tolerate that without cracking. I doubt
if you're getting it hot enough to do much good with an ordinary
propane torch.

Okay. I got huge propane torch with hose to that small heavy cylinder
at our shop. I was told that shop used to do A/C but became not worth
doing for many reasons. Those mini steel (iron?) cylinder, that is
almost 1/3 length of a typical tall metal gases cylinders that you see
around garages and labs. If not, I'll see if I can rent or have
somebody come over with their oxy&actyle set and get that GLOWING! :-)
That gasket should isolate most of heat and it is bolted to exhaust
manifold. I'll go ahead and take off the intake manifold which is
aluminum alloy and will melt easily way before iron starts to glow.
(from my experience from wistressing ex-stepfather carefully heating
alum strip and had to quickly bend making into

If these parts are just mating flat surfaces, I'd suspect a bolt,
dowel pin or other fastener might still be in place that you've
missed.

Yes, just a flat mating surfaces, held together with studs and nuts.
Both nuts was removed by previous owner and still stuck together.

I have factory manual for this van and clearly shows the diagram of
this EGR as whole. Only two nuts, EGR tube flare nut unbolted already
(had to buy this special crovfoot for that. This is chrysler 2.2L
carb.

Cheers,

Wizard
Larry Jaques

On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 03:00:54 GMT, (Jason D.) calmly
ranted:

Oh my. konolabs.com wants credit cards or company P.O. I don't have
credit card. My boss doesn't like to order stuff south of border (no
offense intended). Is there a no allowed chemical shipping by mail
like this kroil?

Many chemicals and NO aerosols can be airfreighted. But these
aren't considered hazardous AFAIK so they should be truckable
without extra fees.

I was thinking of asking somebody like here after sending enough
payment for it, cost of shipping to my address (ontario, canada) and
small token for your trouble?

I haven't tried it, either. If you want me to order some for you,
let me know. Gallon sizes look to be the best price. (3 10-oz cans
or a 128 oz. gallon for about the same price, $3 less.) A valid
email address for me is located on my website. (See sig below.)
Maybe you could cover shipping fees.

I'm expressing my doubt, is that kroil that "magicial"? like mine that
EGR and exhaust manifold won't let go (there is no bolts holding that
part on, just a flat surface stuck together by rust like high end two
shim blocks stuck together. Even glue fails under my abuse but this
RUST!? Amazing!

It's old iron and exhaust bolts which will get my main attention
from Kroil. But I understand that it's good on weapon maintenance
as well.

What about a chemical that will "eat away" rust but leave loose stuff
that comes off easily? I was thinking about acid but I knew there
should be different chemcials.

Electrolysis. It's what I'm thinking of using on this .22 barrel
of mine with the deeper rust on the end.

-
Interpreted Interpolations Done Dirt Cheap.
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming

Ted Edwards

Oh my. konolabs.com wants credit cards or company P.O. I don't have
credit card. My boss doesn't like to order stuff south of border (no
offense intended). Is there a no allowed chemical shipping by mail
like this kroil?

Have you tried Lloyd's Move It? I've never tried Kroil but I've had
good success with Move It and a _little_ impact (3/8" drive butterfly).

Ted

nic

I saw an ad from Midway, http://www.midwayusa.com
and they are selling Kroil for $3.49 per can, don't know if
you have to pay a HAZMAT fee for it.

I have better luck with penetrating oils by also using ether
starting fluid to help thin it out. It evaporates pretty
quickly, but seems to help. May be causing some slight
thermal reaction as it evaporates, not sure.
Product my dad swore by was Rust-Buster, and it was an
ether/oil mixture. Can still get it, but think they've taken
the ether out.

In article , Jason D. says...