Tom Gardner

Alternate heating and cooling (dry ice) and cycles of Kroil (makes Blaster
look like glue)

"Jason D." wrote in message
This is about the 1987 plymouth caravan with carb 2.2L engine.

May remember way back when I asked about fixing the managled threaded
hole in the water box of 2.2L aluminum alloy head, really so bad
that's looks like a chewed up hole than a drilled hole let alone
tapped.

Well, Got taps and drill bits but was stalled because I couldn't find
to borrow or rent electric drill with 3/4" or 1" chuck. Couldn't think
of finding a place or mail order (big bucks!!) to buy big drills with
1/2" shanks for 3/8" and 1/2" NPT taps, till my brother pointed me way
to Ackland Graingers for tools used for build aluminum hulled coast
guard boats several years ago. Got the stepped drill bits in required
size and fixed mine up and used a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter for the coolant
sensor. DONE. Glad that place is right on same block where our TV
shop is on.

Boy! Cutting 1/2" NPT in soft aluminum even lubed with cutting fluid
is hard work. Had limited space to work with. In a pinch adjustable
wrench and 14mm open end wrench working together to minimize side
stresses on tap will serve as tap handle.

Now I have current question that plaguing me to no end. How can you
get a two iron parts that is liberally stuck together with no bolts
keeping it together? Say a iron part (EGR valve is bust) is formerly
bolted to the iron part which is exhaust manifold. Because it was
bolted together and had 17 years on that two parts is literally welded
together even there is not much rust scaling. Former owner tried to
remove EGR valve before from the rust spots on tube (where back of
hammer hits it on back swings).

Tried to heat it up twice till EGR valve smoked with brenzomatic
carefully because that gas can inverted enough the torch flame goes
out with "POP!" It was raw fuel in it slugging the head.

Even hammering it, plenty of penetranting fluids. (Couldn't find PB
Blaster in Canada Ontario, tried many auto parts stores, where are
they?)

Got it almost cracked with chisel wedged into seam where gasket would
be but still won't budge any farther.

Any suggestions to get this rusty iron love mates separated?

Cheers,

Wizard