Jason D.

On 27 Aug 2004 15:24:48 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Leo
Lichtman says...

I think maybe he meant *nichrome," which works on both AC and DC. Of
course, that requires a very broad definition of induction heating. G

Sump'n tells me that any kind of nichrome wire approach isn't
going to heat it much better than the propane torch did, already.

RIGHT. :-) Induction heat takes so much to heat this big "fistful" of
hunk of an junk iron I'm trying to remove and that car battery is
typical 600-800Ah, not a chance. Remember the horsepower vs watt is
1hp = 746W. Pitiful! Even a typical can of propane torch has so
MUCH BTU means it has loads and loads of wattage, just be patient.
Whooossssssssssooooh... POP! Darn! valve closes, retreats to storage
cabient and "hide" behind it bec was windy outside and trying to light
BIC (flick, flick, flick owww my thumb!, flick finally!) and crack
open that valve till torch lights again. So on till the iron starts
to smoke.

Switching power induction heating technology is cool stuff through,
but takes so much power to pull that off, remember electric isn't
free. Have to produce that electrical power somewhere else in the
beginning in first place. Gas, oil, etc is right there and efficient
at heating up stuff directly.

Cheers,

Wizard

g g