Ray

Default Petroleum odors? ? ?

I spilled a fairly large amount of a gasoline additive on the floor of my
car, and now I can hardly get in it.

The additive smells like a mix of oil and gasoline.

Does the odor ever go away on its own? Or is there something that I might
use to get it out?

Joseph Meehan

Ray wrote:
I spilled a fairly large amount of a gasoline additive on the floor
of my car, and now I can hardly get in it.

The additive smells like a mix of oil and gasoline.

Does the odor ever go away on its own? Or is there something that I
might use to get it out?

That is a tough one to get out. If you are serous about getting it out,
I suggest a car detailing shop or a carpet cleaning place.

If you want to try it yourself there are a number of possibilities. I
would suggest trying to get as much soaked up as possible using paper towels
or rags. Get most of it up then put some more down on it and weight it down
with some heavy weight over night. Repeat until it does not seem to pick up
any more. You can also try kitty litter. Give it time to do it's stuff.
Then it is carpet cleaning stuff, like the spay can stuff, follow the
instructions on the can.

Make sure you work not just with the carpet, but the pad under the
carpet as well.

Good Luck

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Clark Griswold

"Ray" wrote in message
I spilled a fairly large amount of a gasoline additive on the floor of my
car, and now I can hardly get in it.

The additive smells like a mix of oil and gasoline.

Does the odor ever go away on its own? Or is there something that I might
use to get it out?

Pull the carpet and the pad and throw in the trash. Order new from the
dealer and install yourself. Who knows, it may be cheaper than all the
cleaning that you're about to do, and, with better results.

Sexytom976

Pine tree air freshner under your nose and the windows wide open....

Otherwise you can try taking the carpet out of the car (pain in the
ass) and
cleaning it, but that's a crap shoot if it'll ever come out.

Dave

Ray wrote:
I spilled a fairly large amount of a gasoline additive on the floor

of my
car, and now I can hardly get in it.

The additive smells like a mix of oil and gasoline.

Does the odor ever go away on its own? Or is there something that I

might
use to get it out?

I would be worried about breathing benzene, ethylbenzene, toluene and
xylenes - all cause cancer. Get it professionally cleaned, replace the
carpet, or I would recommend the match solution.
Good luck,
David

Michael A. Ball

On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:15:04 GMT, "Ray"
wrote:

I spilled a fairly large amount of a gasoline additive ...
Does the odor ever go away on its own? Or is there something that I might
use to get it out?

The most volatile components will have evaporated by now. So, in lieu of
a carpet cleaning pro or an auto detailer, you can use a garden sprayer
(or some other method) to apply a strong detergent solution to the
affected area, and then draw it out with a wet vac. Don't be reluctant
to get the padding wet, because that's where most of the additive
remains. A good liquid dish detergent or liquid laundry detergent should
do the job.

Afterwards, leave the windows open as much as you can for a few days.

A day without recoil is like a day without sunshine!
Matt

On mythbusters, they buried a pig in a corvette for 6 months. I'm not
an expert, but it appeared that if you were to do this, it would be
strong enough to cover the gas smell.

Stormin Mormon

Ventilation. Fan. Yes.

--