Finite Guy

Default Odors from Running a Mini Lathe

Hi all: As I have mentioned here before, I am looking to buy a mini
lathe. I am thinking of putting it in my basement. This may seem
like a silly question/topic but does the use of these lathes cause
various odors (burning or oil like smell) that will permiate my house.

My wife and daughter (and pet bird) may not like unusual odors to
linger. Actually, the pet bird could die from certain vapors.
I could put the lathe in my unheated garage, but I'd rather not.
Robert

Jim Stewart

Finite Guy wrote:
Hi all: As I have mentioned here before, I am looking to buy a mini
lathe. I am thinking of putting it in my basement. This may seem
like a silly question/topic but does the use of these lathes cause
various odors (burning or oil like smell) that will permiate my house.

My wife and daughter (and pet bird) may not like unusual odors to
linger. Actually, the pet bird could die from certain vapors.
I could put the lathe in my unheated garage, but I'd rather not.
Robert

Without knowing the sensitivity of the people in question,
it's hard to give you a good answer. Sulfur-based cutting
oils can have a strong odor even when cold and when you
take a hard cut with them it just gets worse. My wife has
never complained about it though. On the other hand, she
hates it when my clothes get permeated with the smell of
WD-40 from milling aluminum.

One thing I've tried is using peanut oil for a cutting
fluid. It's not as good as a proper cutting fluid, but
it does work and nobody complains about the smell of
roasting peanuts. Lard oil is another possibility. If
you are tidy, your shop will smell faintly like frying
bacon. If not, rancid pig fat (:

Randy Replogle

Finite Guy wrote:
Hi all: As I have mentioned here before, I am looking to buy a mini
lathe. I am thinking of putting it in my basement. This may seem
like a silly question/topic but does the use of these lathes cause
various odors (burning or oil like smell) that will permiate my house.

My wife and daughter (and pet bird) may not like unusual odors to
linger. Actually, the pet bird could die from certain vapors.
I could put the lathe in my unheated garage, but I'd rather not.
Robert

Install an old range hood over the lathe and vent it outdoors.
--
Randy Replogle (Central Indiana)

Michael Cameron

Jim Stewart wrote in message ...
Finite Guy wrote:
[...]

Jim

I also dislike the smell of kerosene or WD40. For milling aluminum I use
smokeless lamp oil from the hardware store, about $5 for half gallon. Near
as I can tell, it is desented kerosene.

Michael no xx's in address

Glenn Ashmore

That was the way I got my shop! I was bitten by the live steam bug and
talked my wife into a Unimat. Before I ordered it I figured I better
CMA and warn her about the smell and the chips and mentioned that an
alternative would be to turn the old garage into a shop and find a good
used Southbend 10K. The rest is history. :-)

If you work it right getting SHMBO's permission to buy a $600 mini-lathe
can result in $30K in machines and tooling. :-)

Dave Ficken wrote:
(Finite Guy) wrote in message ...

does the use of these lathes cause
various odors (burning or oil like smell) that will permiate my house.

Don't overlook the likelyhood that chips and shavings will eventually
find their way into the house. My basement shop days ended due to
this. I was careful enough to change shoes before coming back
upstairs, but chips still found their way into the house.

Dave

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at:
http://www.rutuonline.com

Karl Townsend

If you work it right getting SHMBO's permission to buy a $600 mini-lathe
can result in $30K in machines and tooling. :-)

I got the 30K in machines and tooling, but it cost me twice that in house
remodeling and new furniture, and ... and... and...

Karl

DejaVU

Dave Ficken scribed in
:

Don't overlook the likelyhood that chips and shavings will
eventually find their way into the house. My basement shop days
ended due to this. I was careful enough to change shoes before
coming back upstairs, but chips still found their way into the
house.

eh? but that's what brooms and vacuum cleaners are for!
the kids tramp in much more than I ever will, and it all gets cleaned
anyway

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /
jim rozen

In article et, Karl Townsend
says...

I got the 30K in machines and tooling, but it cost me twice that in house
remodeling and new furniture, and ... and... and...

Furniture? What's furniture? Oh right, stuff you sit on,
that doesn't have cutting oil on it!

I know we've purchased exactly *one* new piece of
furniture, ever, in our marriage. Our present
kitchen table.

On thread topic - the only strange odors in my shop
happen when I eat lunch at taco bell. Then I have
to sleep down there, or sometimes I even get banished
to the garage....

Jim

please reply to:

Rocky

"Finite Guy" wrote in message
Hi all: As I have mentioned here before, I am looking to buy a mini
lathe. I am thinking of putting it in my basement. This may seem
like a silly question/topic but does the use of these lathes cause
various odors (burning or oil like smell) that will permiate my house.

Hi Robert,

What are you? Man or mouse, tell the wife your having a lathe, if
she dont like it tell her to sling her hook and take the kid as for the bird
put it outside where it belongs.
Regards Rocky

jim rozen

In article , Rocky says...

What are you? Man or mouse, tell the wife your having a lathe, if
she dont like it tell her to sling her hook and take the kid as for the bird
put it outside where it belongs.

I tried that. It was met with a pretty hostile response:

http://www.minuend.com/writers/nora.htm

And yes that is the love of my life. And no, I would
not advise talking to her in that tone of voice if
you come around here...

:^)

Jim

please reply to:

Brian Lawson

Hey Jim,

On 13 Nov 2003 06:04:28 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

BIG SNIP

On thread topic - the only strange odors in my shop
happen when I eat lunch at taco bell. Then I have
to sleep down there, or sometimes I even get banished
to the garage....

Jim

So.... Second job?? Is this your Ebay item then??

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...68671IMPORTANT

VBG

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
jim rozen

In article , Brian Lawson says...

So.... Second job?? Is this your Ebay item then??

Nope. Couldn't be.

It would have to be the 30 gallon trash bag size!

Jim

please reply to:

Burritos n' Cheese

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

The thing is he has two bids already! And you guys thought the Beanie
Babies were wierd. :-)

As well his hit counter shows 14000 hits.

Now two bids for every 14000 hits means statistically that for every
7000 people one person is interested in buying a bag of farts.

So potential American fart buyers works out to
240,000,000 / 7,000 = 32,485 customers
Brian Lawson

Hey Glenn,

Probably his mother and an old frat buddy.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX