Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Petroleum based grease on plastic gears

Hi

I gave my wife some Castrol LM grease to put on the gears inside an old
(60s/70s) sewing machine. Unfortunately some of the gears are plastic.

The questin is, will the (presumably) petroleum based grease damage the
plastic?

If so, what's the best way to clean it off without further damaging the
plastic?

Thanks

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Hi

I gave my wife some Castrol LM grease to put on the gears inside an old
(60s/70s) sewing machine. Unfortunately some of the gears are plastic.

The questin is, will the (presumably) petroleum based grease damage the
plastic?

I doubt it.

If so, what's the best way to clean it off without further damaging the
plastic?

Soak in alcohol.

Thanks

Steve

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve wrote:
Hi

I gave my wife some Castrol LM grease to put on the gears inside an old
(60s/70s) sewing machine. Unfortunately some of the gears are plastic.

The questin is, will the (presumably) petroleum based grease damage the
plastic?

If so, what's the best way to clean it off without further damaging the
plastic?

LM grease is a lythium based lubricant. I am no expert on this, but in
my experience, I can't see a problem.

Dave
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve wrote:
I gave my wife some Castrol LM grease to put on the gears inside an old
(60s/70s) sewing machine. Unfortunately some of the gears are plastic.

The questin is, will the (presumably) petroleum based grease damage the
plastic?

It would depend on the plastic, I suppose.

Things like Lucas wiper motors had a plastic gear driven by a metal worm
and that gearbox was filled with grease. Overhaul instructions suggested
this was just GP car grease - which would be Castrol LM etc.

Also there are plastic parts in the fuel system of a petrol car. Floats
for the fuel gauge sender, etc.

--
*Xerox and Wurlitzer will merge to market reproductive organs.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 12 May 2008 19:51:39 +0100, "Steve"
wrote:

I gave my wife some Castrol LM grease to put on the gears inside an old
(60s/70s) sewing machine. Unfortunately some of the gears are plastic.

The questin is, will the (presumably) petroleum based grease damage the
plastic?

Depends on the plastic. Your biggest risk is swelling of parts,
especially those running on a shaft. '60s-era plastics are generally
safe here, it's the old bakelites and caesins that were the trouble,

I tend to use Halfords white bike grease for this (the waterproof one).
Lighter weight grease than LM and no problems with it going rigid with
age.