Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Petroleum vs Aqueous Parts Washing Fluid and RUST!

Ignoramus27349 wrote:

Here's something interesting.

I have a Graymills 800-A parts washer.

http://goo.gl/a7k4g

It is supposed to be used with a petroleum based solvent. I would,
naturally, prefer to use a water base solvent.

If I can use water instead of Petroleum, I can save a huge amount of
money, EPA hassles, disposal fees, actual headaches from fumes,
etc. So, I am very interested in finding a solution!

I called Graymills company today and asked them, what would happen if
I put water with Simple Green in this parts cleaner.

The guy said, it will work just fine, it will clean, and the pump will
pump, but it will start rusting.

So, now I am thinking about preventing rust.

1) Can I add some kind of rust inhibitor to the water/Simple green
solution?

2) Can I, perhaps, fashion some zinc anode or something, like they do
on outboard motors for boats?

Any other ideas?

thanks!

Zep makes an anti-rust product #1049. I use it in the water table for my
CNC plasma cutting. 8oz per gal of water, or 1 gal per 500gal tank
capacity per the label. It comes in 5gal and 55gal sizes only BTW. I
don't know about it's compatibility with cleaners.