Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Cross-Slide Cross-Slide is offline

Default Petroleum vs Aqueous Parts Washing Fluid and RUST!

On Sep 12, 2:25*pm, Ignoramus27349 ignoramus27...@NOSPAM.
27349.invalid wrote:
Here's something interesting.

I have a Graymills 800-A parts washer.

* * * *http://goo.gl/a7k4g

It is supposed to be used with a petroleum based solvent. I would,
naturally, prefer to use a water base solvent.

If I can use water instead of Petroleum, I can save a huge amount of
money, EPA hassles, disposal fees, actual headaches from fumes,
etc. So, I am very interested in finding a solution!

I called Graymills company today and asked them, what would happen if
I put water with Simple Green in this parts cleaner.

The guy said, it will work just fine, it will clean, and the pump will
pump, but it will start rusting.

So, now I am thinking about preventing rust.

1) Can I add some kind of rust inhibitor to the water/Simple green
solution?

2) Can I, perhaps, fashion some zinc anode or something, like they do
on outboard motors for boats?

Any other ideas?

thanks!

What is added to water soluble coolant to keep it from rusting machine
tools?
Coolant is mixed 10-20 to 1 water and coolant. It always amazes me
that the coolant does not rust the parts and machine, and ****es me
off when it does, once the coolant goes bad.