Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Agent kill filter help please

Though I use lots of kill filters I cannot figure out how to filter
out cross posts in Agent. And the number of and subjects of posts from
other newsgroups is making it really hard to read rcm. So can anyone
tell me how to filter out crossposts using Agent?
Thanks,
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Wed, 31 Aug 2011 13:57:02 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

on Wed, 31 Aug 2011 16:46:51 +0000 (UTC) typed in
rec.crafts.metalworking the following:
Though I use lots of kill filters I cannot figure out how to filter
out cross posts in Agent. And the number of and subjects of posts from
other newsgroups is making it really hard to read rcm. So can anyone
tell me how to filter out crossposts using Agent?

Two things - ask at alt.usenet.offline-reader.forte-agent, the
home of all things Agent related.

Secondly, I doubt you can filter on cross posts, at least not with
versions 1 through 3. (I've been using 3.3 for dog years - "Works for
me!") Agent does have an option to mark cross posts "read", but only
on the N+1 occurrence. (look under the "Folder" options for "cross
post management". Can be set in Default Properties, too) That is, if
RCM is your first group, any header downloaded there will be unread,
all the subsequent groups will have that same header marked as "read".
But it will not check to see if someone is cross posting to
alt.barney.die.die.die and rec.crafts.metalworking.

In other words, I doubt it can be done, "you'll just have to live with
it." Or filter out those you consider the worst cross-posters (as
opposed to cross-dressers).

Another option is a separate filter such as NewsProxy.

Since I'm running Agent 2.0/something I guess I'll either have to
upgrade or try NewsProxy.
Thanks,
Eric

Your first two filters for NewsProxy:

* drop Message-ID:*googlegroups*
* drop xref:*:*:*:*

Any crap from googlegroups, and anything crossposted to three or more
groups.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
says...

wrote:

pyotr filipivich wrote:

[...]

Never tried NewsProxy, but Hamster, a similar product, has excellent
filtering. Only objection to Hamster is that the English documentation
is pretty poor (the German documentation may be excellent--I don't have
enough German to be able to tell).

http://www.elbiah.de/hamster/index.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm not addressing you personally, Eric, but developing a practice of never
replying to the morons with agendas would deny them of the attention they
crave.. and eventually they'll fade away.

This would include ignoring the MWAs when they ask for metalworking help..
by seeing the value of their eventual absence.

Then, finally, those with actual metalworking interests could resume
metalworking discussions without all the added bull****.

--
WB

wrote in message
Though I use lots of kill filters I cannot figure out how to filter
out cross posts in Agent. And the number of and subjects of posts from
other newsgroups is making it really hard to read rcm. So can anyone
tell me how to filter out crossposts using Agent?
Thanks,
Eric

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 9/2/2011 9:58 PM, Steve Ackman wrote:
On Thu, 1 Sep 2011 11:29:22 +0000 (UTC), Kelly D. Grills wrote:
* DoN. :

I don't know Agent specifically, but the usual trick is to count
commas in the "Newsgroups: " header. One comma is two newsgroups, two
commas is three an so forth.

FYI the Xref header is preferred over the Newsgroups header.

http://www.slrn.org/docs/slrn-FAQ-4.html#ss4.14

From one slrn bigot to another. :-)

Zealot, not bigot. ;-)

at least with thunderbird, I just discovered I could put a custom filter
type of "headers" into my filter and then delete messages posted to the
usual annoying places - reduced my daily number of messages from
hundreds to a few dozen that seem to be somehow related to the topic of
metal working
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 3 Sep 2011 00:01:13 -0400, "Wild_Bill"
wrote:

I'm not addressing you personally, Eric, but developing a practice of never
replying to the morons with agendas would deny them of the attention they
crave.. and eventually they'll fade away.

This would include ignoring the MWAs when they ask for metalworking help..
by seeing the value of their eventual absence.

Then, finally, those with actual metalworking interests could resume
metalworking discussions without all the added bull****.

Greetings Bill,
I don't reply to any of those messages. Or read them. Especially when
so many of them have some sort of made up name that's aimed at
insulting someone. BTW, do you have, or did you have, anything to do
with KPIG?
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I hadn't heard of that station until you mentioned it, Eric.. funny callsign
though.

I was interested in hearing some programming (I'm in western PA), but it
seems that a subscription is required, and I didn't see if a subscription
feed would be commercial-free, so I lost interest.

Yep, same as you.. I just hit the delete key for all the crap posts.

--
WB