Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Six jaw chuck

Among various stuff that followed me, there was this six jaw chuck:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...Chuck-8676.jpg

this is a plain back chuck, and I wonder if it makes sense to keep it
and adapt to my Clausing lathe. I can buy plain back mounting adaptors
for my lathe easily. I did it once when I had to machine it to fit the
four jaw chuck. This machining actualy improves lathe accuracy.

The question is, do I really need the six jaw chuck.

When was the last time that you had to use it, and for what reason?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Oh, and do you have an idea who made it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus5931" wrote in message
Among various stuff that followed me, there was this six jaw chuck:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...Chuck-8676.jpg

this is a plain back chuck, and I wonder if it makes sense to keep it
and adapt to my Clausing lathe. I can buy plain back mounting adaptors
for my lathe easily. I did it once when I had to machine it to fit the
four jaw chuck. This machining actualy improves lathe accuracy.

The question is, do I really need the six jaw chuck.

When was the last time that you had to use it, and for what reason?

I have one like that on my brieley drill grinder, mine is a bernerd.

They are basicley used as an alternative to collets, if the chuck is
a zero set i would keep it. I suspect your chuck was used in a
grind shop, they were grinding large diameter items and needed
a high degree of accuracy. As far as a lathe goes i prefer collets.
I have a bison six jaw zero set and never used it on my logan 12".
These chucks are very pricey new.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 23:25:48 -0500, Ignoramus5931
wrote:

Among various stuff that followed me, there was this six jaw chuck:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...Chuck-8676.jpg

this is a plain back chuck, and I wonder if it makes sense to keep it
and adapt to my Clausing lathe. I can buy plain back mounting adaptors
for my lathe easily. I did it once when I had to machine it to fit the
four jaw chuck. This machining actualy improves lathe accuracy.

The question is, do I really need the six jaw chuck.

When was the last time that you had to use it, and for what reason?

I use a pair of Buck 5" 6 jaw chucks regularly on my Hardinge HLV-H.

When one cuts thin Stuff...the ability to clamp it and not dent the work
piece is far far better with a 6 jaw.

Put a thin bit of tubing in your 3 jaw chuck, then turn it, in the ID.

Then take it out and run an ID mike in the bore. You will indeed find 3
much thinner places where the jaws pushed in the material. So your hole
is no longer round..but trilobed internally. Or Externally if you use an
internal 3 jaw.

The 6 jaw really..really..really helps when you have to do thin wall
work.

Or work with odd, not round ID or OD profiles. You can actually machine
a D shaped bit of metal on your lathe..something you cannot do with a
standard 3 jaw.

Its not a Miracle tool..but at times it comes damned close.

For the average guy who isnt working to close dimensions or doing
delicate work..shrug..but for a serious machinist..its very very handy
to have a 6 jaw in ones tools.

Gunner

--
"The danger to America is not Barack Obama but a citizenry
capable of entrusting a man like him with the Presidency.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 23:27:08 -0500, Ignoramus5931
wrote:

Oh, and do you have an idea who made it?

Ayup..both of mine..are Buck chucks

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus5931 wrote:

Among various stuff that followed me, there was this six jaw chuck:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...Chuck-8676.jpg

this is a plain back chuck, and I wonder if it makes sense to keep it
and adapt to my Clausing lathe. I can buy plain back mounting adaptors
for my lathe easily. I did it once when I had to machine it to fit the
four jaw chuck. This machining actualy improves lathe accuracy.

The question is, do I really need the six jaw chuck.

When was the last time that you had to use it, and for what reason?

It appears that that chuck was crashed, based on the gouges in the jaws.
Before I spent much time figuring if I could used it, I'd check that it
was still useable.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Among various stuff that followed me, there was this six jaw chuck:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...Chuck-8676.jpg

this is a plain back chuck, and I wonder if it makes sense to keep it
and adapt to my Clausing lathe. I can buy plain back mounting adaptors
for my lathe easily. I did it once when I had to machine it to fit the
four jaw chuck. This machining actualy improves lathe accuracy.

The question is, do I really need the six jaw chuck.

When was the last time that you had to use it, and for what reason?

That's a chuck from a T&C grinder. Without reversible jaws it's
usefulness on a lathe would be limited.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
It appears that that chuck was crashed, based on the gouges in the jaws.
Before I spent much time figuring if I could used it, I'd check that it
was still useable.

--What he said. But if you can find a manufacturer and get
replacement jaws it's a keeper. Still and all if you've got a need you might
want to consider finding instead a Buck Adjust-tru chuck. I've got a 6-jaw
one of these on my Myford and it works a treat. Having the ability to shift
the center of rotation is a huge advantage..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Steel, Stainless, Titanium:
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : Guaranteed Uncertified Welding!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-01, steamer wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
It appears that that chuck was crashed, based on the gouges in the jaws.
Before I spent much time figuring if I could used it, I'd check that it
was still useable.

--What he said. But if you can find a manufacturer and get
replacement jaws it's a keeper. Still and all if you've got a need you might
want to consider finding instead a Buck Adjust-tru chuck. I've got a 6-jaw
one of these on my Myford and it works a treat. Having the ability to shift
the center of rotation is a huge advantage..

I do not think that the chuck was crashed. I think that it was ground
(accidentally) in a grinding machine. It is not quite the same.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-01, steamer wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
It appears that that chuck was crashed, based on the gouges in the jaws.
Before I spent much time figuring if I could used it, I'd check that it
was still useable.

--What he said. But if you can find a manufacturer and get
replacement jaws it's a keeper. Still and all if you've got a need you
might
want to consider finding instead a Buck Adjust-tru chuck. I've got a
6-jaw
one of these on my Myford and it works a treat. Having the ability to
shift
the center of rotation is a huge advantage..

I do not think that the chuck was crashed. I think that it was ground
(accidentally) in a grinding machine. It is not quite the same.

It was ground that way on purpose, in order to be used for flute grinding.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

IIRC, Bison is Polish. Well respected. Mounts on a
faceplate. Offset screws calibrate it.

Martin

On 7/31/2011 11:27 PM, Ignoramus5931 wrote:
Oh, and do you have an idea who made it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here is one place that has been there for years.

http://brassandtool.com/Chucks-Lathe.html

Rather extensive selection on the bottom of the page.

Martin

On 7/31/2011 11:25 PM, Ignoramus5931 wrote:
Among various stuff that followed me, there was this six jaw chuck:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...Chuck-8676.jpg

this is a plain back chuck, and I wonder if it makes sense to keep it
and adapt to my Clausing lathe. I can buy plain back mounting adaptors
for my lathe easily. I did it once when I had to machine it to fit the
four jaw chuck. This machining actualy improves lathe accuracy.

The question is, do I really need the six jaw chuck.

When was the last time that you had to use it, and for what reason?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'm among the clueless here.
What can you do with a 6 jaw that you can't do with 4?

Martin Eastburn wrote:
Here is one place that has been there for years.

http://brassandtool.com/Chucks-Lathe.html

Rather extensive selection on the bottom of the page.

Martin

On 7/31/2011 11:25 PM, Ignoramus5931 wrote:
Among various stuff that followed me, there was this six jaw chuck:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...Chuck-8676.jpg

this is a plain back chuck, and I wonder if it makes sense to keep it
and adapt to my Clausing lathe. I can buy plain back mounting adaptors
for my lathe easily. I did it once when I had to machine it to fit the
four jaw chuck. This machining actualy improves lathe accuracy.

The question is, do I really need the six jaw chuck.

When was the last time that you had to use it, and for what reason?

Richard Lamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~cavelamb
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~sv_temptress
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
IIRC, Bison is Polish. Well respected. Mounts on a
faceplate. Offset screws calibrate it.

Martin

Yep, i have a bison 3 jaw chuck that i bought in 1973
and it's as good as new. When ever i need to buy a
brand new chuck bison is my first choice. Very high
quality at a good price. As i recall bison is now part
of toolmex.

Best Regards
Tom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-02, CaveLamb wrote:
I'm among the clueless here.
What can you do with a 6 jaw that you can't do with 4?

hold a hexagonal part!

Martin Eastburn wrote:
Here is one place that has been there for years.

http://brassandtool.com/Chucks-Lathe.html

Rather extensive selection on the bottom of the page.

Martin

On 7/31/2011 11:25 PM, Ignoramus5931 wrote:
Among various stuff that followed me, there was this six jaw chuck:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...Chuck-8676.jpg

this is a plain back chuck, and I wonder if it makes sense to keep it
and adapt to my Clausing lathe. I can buy plain back mounting adaptors
for my lathe easily. I did it once when I had to machine it to fit the
four jaw chuck. This machining actualy improves lathe accuracy.

The question is, do I really need the six jaw chuck.

When was the last time that you had to use it, and for what reason?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

And with more jaws, more surface touching the work. Less pressure
and the same holding power. Chuck soft materials and have plenty
of holding power.

Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-01, Ignoramus5931 wrote:
Among various stuff that followed me, there was this six jaw chuck:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...Chuck-8676.jpg

this is a plain back chuck, and I wonder if it makes sense to keep it
and adapt to my Clausing lathe. I can buy plain back mounting adaptors
for my lathe easily. I did it once when I had to machine it to fit the
four jaw chuck. This machining actualy improves lathe accuracy.

The question is, do I really need the six jaw chuck.

It depends. Where it is particularly good is when holding
thin-walled cylindrical stuff. 3-jaw chucks try to deflect it to a
vaguely triangular shape. 4-jaw chucks try to deflect it to square, and
6-jaw to hex --with less effect every time you add a jaw or two. :-)

When was the last time that you had to use it, and for what reason?

I used mine when making a circular waveguide antenna for Wi-Fi
frequencies using about 3.5" ID Schedule 80 aluminum pipe. I turned the
ends smooth, and then threaded them for retaining rings to keep out
weather. One end had a disc of aluminum, the other end plastic from a
can of peanuts to keep out rain.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Oh, and do you have an idea who made it?

Ayup..both of mine..are Buck chucks

Mine is a Burnard Pratt chuck -- and I wish that I had the
external jaws for tt too. It is on a mount which makes it an adjust-tru
style (I forget who has copyrighted which names for the same feature. :-)

And looking at the jaws, I think that this one was for a
cylindrical grinder, not a lathe, but I'm not sure.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-01, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus5931 wrote:

Among various stuff that followed me, there was this six jaw chuck:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...Chuck-8676.jpg

[ ... ]

It appears that that chuck was crashed, based on the gouges in the jaws.
Before I spent much time figuring if I could used it, I'd check that it
was still useable.

It looks like it was kissed by a cylindrical grinder, which
should not have damaged it. The shape of the jaws looks like it was for
such a grinder, too.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...w-Chuck/Bison-...

this is a plain back chuck, and I wonder if it makes sense to keep it
and adapt to my Clausing lathe. I can buy plain back mounting adaptors
for my lathe easily. I did it once when I had to machine it to fit the
four jaw chuck. This machining actualy improves lathe accuracy.

The question is, do I really need the six jaw chuck.

When was the last time that you had to use it, and for what reason?

It's good for facing tubing, threading same, working thin rings. Good
for making photo adapters for cameras, optical mounts, stuff like
that. Backplates can be machined up from solid if you don't care for
the prices they ask in the catalogs. Make a dummy spindle end first
for fitting purposes.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2011-08-01, steamer wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
It appears that that chuck was crashed, based on the gouges in the jaws.
Before I spent much time figuring if I could used it, I'd check that it
was still useable.

--What he said. But if you can find a manufacturer and get
replacement jaws it's a keeper. Still and all if you've got a need you
might
want to consider finding instead a Buck Adjust-tru chuck. I've got a
6-jaw
one of these on my Myford and it works a treat. Having the ability to
shift
the center of rotation is a huge advantage..

I do not think that the chuck was crashed. I think that it was ground
(accidentally) in a grinding machine. It is not quite the same.

You are most likely right. Take note that two of the jaws are not identical
to the others. Likely removed to hold a part that required clearance at
the two locations. You are not required to use all of the jaws.

Do keep in mind, a three jaw chuck with master jaws (two piece jaws) can
serve almost very purpose that is served by a six jaw, by using soft jaws.
They are heads and shoulders better than a six jaw in that you can surround
the part by nearly 100% jaw, preventing distortion of the part. In
addition, by some creative machining (on a mill) you can machine the jaws
to hold irregular parts---square, hex, etc., with little effort. Even hold
parts off center, as desired.
Bottom line? Don't lose a lot of sleep by not having a six jaw. I worked
in the trade for many years and used one only infrequently. By sharp
contrast, I used soft jaws almost daily.

Harold

On 2011-08-02, wrote:
I'm among the clueless here.
What can you do with a 6 jaw that you can't do with 4?

hold a hexagonal part!

Ok, copy all...

Most of the six-jaws I've seen were used in batch-production applications,
where the idea is to minimize distortion while maintaining clamping
integrity. Above all, it was to achieve part-to-part consistency where
tolerances are tight, as they are in almost all automotive and power-tool
applications today.

We used them a lot at Wasino, mostly for turning those automotive and
power-tool parts.

--
Ed Huntress