Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
azotic[_4_] azotic[_4_] is offline

Default Six jaw chuck

"Ignoramus5931" wrote in message
Among various stuff that followed me, there was this six jaw chuck:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...Chuck-8676.jpg

this is a plain back chuck, and I wonder if it makes sense to keep it
and adapt to my Clausing lathe. I can buy plain back mounting adaptors
for my lathe easily. I did it once when I had to machine it to fit the
four jaw chuck. This machining actualy improves lathe accuracy.

The question is, do I really need the six jaw chuck.

When was the last time that you had to use it, and for what reason?

I have one like that on my brieley drill grinder, mine is a bernerd.

They are basicley used as an alternative to collets, if the chuck is
a zero set i would keep it. I suspect your chuck was used in a
grind shop, they were grinding large diameter items and needed
a high degree of accuracy. As far as a lathe goes i prefer collets.
I have a bison six jaw zero set and never used it on my logan 12".
These chucks are very pricey new.

Best Regards
Tom.