Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default Six jaw chuck

On Sun, 31 Jul 2011 23:25:48 -0500, Ignoramus5931
wrote:

Among various stuff that followed me, there was this six jaw chuck:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...Chuck-8676.jpg

this is a plain back chuck, and I wonder if it makes sense to keep it
and adapt to my Clausing lathe. I can buy plain back mounting adaptors
for my lathe easily. I did it once when I had to machine it to fit the
four jaw chuck. This machining actualy improves lathe accuracy.

The question is, do I really need the six jaw chuck.

When was the last time that you had to use it, and for what reason?

That's a chuck from a T&C grinder. Without reversible jaws it's
usefulness on a lathe would be limited.

--
Ned Simmons