Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold & Susan Vordos Harold & Susan Vordos is offline

Default Six jaw chuck

On 2011-08-01, steamer wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
It appears that that chuck was crashed, based on the gouges in the jaws.
Before I spent much time figuring if I could used it, I'd check that it
was still useable.

--What he said. But if you can find a manufacturer and get
replacement jaws it's a keeper. Still and all if you've got a need you
might
want to consider finding instead a Buck Adjust-tru chuck. I've got a
6-jaw
one of these on my Myford and it works a treat. Having the ability to
shift
the center of rotation is a huge advantage..

I do not think that the chuck was crashed. I think that it was ground
(accidentally) in a grinding machine. It is not quite the same.

You are most likely right. Take note that two of the jaws are not identical
to the others. Likely removed to hold a part that required clearance at
the two locations. You are not required to use all of the jaws.

Do keep in mind, a three jaw chuck with master jaws (two piece jaws) can
serve almost very purpose that is served by a six jaw, by using soft jaws.
They are heads and shoulders better than a six jaw in that you can surround
the part by nearly 100% jaw, preventing distortion of the part. In
addition, by some creative machining (on a mill) you can machine the jaws
to hold irregular parts---square, hex, etc., with little effort. Even hold
parts off center, as desired.
Bottom line? Don't lose a lot of sleep by not having a six jaw. I worked
in the trade for many years and used one only infrequently. By sharp
contrast, I used soft jaws almost daily.

Harold