Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Six jaw chuck

On 2011-08-01, Ignoramus5931 wrote:
Among various stuff that followed me, there was this six jaw chuck:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...Chuck-8676.jpg

this is a plain back chuck, and I wonder if it makes sense to keep it
and adapt to my Clausing lathe. I can buy plain back mounting adaptors
for my lathe easily. I did it once when I had to machine it to fit the
four jaw chuck. This machining actualy improves lathe accuracy.

The question is, do I really need the six jaw chuck.

It depends. Where it is particularly good is when holding
thin-walled cylindrical stuff. 3-jaw chucks try to deflect it to a
vaguely triangular shape. 4-jaw chucks try to deflect it to square, and
6-jaw to hex --with less effect every time you add a jaw or two. :-)

When was the last time that you had to use it, and for what reason?

I used mine when making a circular waveguide antenna for Wi-Fi
frequencies using about 3.5" ID Schedule 80 aluminum pipe. I turned the
ends smooth, and then threaded them for retaining rings to keep out
weather. One end had a disc of aluminum, the other end plastic from a
can of peanuts to keep out rain.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564