Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Six jaw chuck

On Jul 31, 10:25*pm, Ignoramus5931
wrote:
Among various stuff that followed me, there was this six jaw chuck:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/mis...w-Chuck/Bison-...

this is a plain back chuck, and I wonder if it makes sense to keep it
and adapt to my Clausing lathe. I can buy plain back mounting adaptors
for my lathe easily. I did it once when I had to machine it to fit the
four jaw chuck. This machining actualy improves lathe accuracy.

The question is, do I really need the six jaw chuck.

When was the last time that you had to use it, and for what reason?

It's good for facing tubing, threading same, working thin rings. Good
for making photo adapters for cameras, optical mounts, stuff like
that. Backplates can be machined up from solid if you don't care for
the prices they ask in the catalogs. Make a dummy spindle end first
for fitting purposes.

Stan